Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

trileacman

Quote from: Angelo on December 22, 2020, 10:58:35 AM
Quote from: trileacman on December 21, 2020, 09:41:32 PM
Quote from: Angelo on December 21, 2020, 09:30:06 PM
I'm going to look after my health and take all the necessary precautions to avoid Covid but as long as I have a choice I won't be getting the vaccine.

Why?

Covid is not a threat to my demograph in general terms. We know nothing about this virus yet other than there is massive public will to rush it through in an unprecedented timeline.

It's likely that the vaccine is no more dangerous than COVID. I'd take the vaccine just so I won't be a) taking COVID at some unfortunate time and b) pass COVID onto someone in a higher risk demographic.

Yes there's a risk with taking the vaccine but there's a much higher probability that by catching COVID and passing on the infection you'd be participating in a chain of infection that at some point in the future will kill someone. So the benefits far outweigh the risk.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Angelo

Quote from: trileacman on December 22, 2020, 07:21:26 PM
I'm going to look after my health and take all the necessary precautions to avoid Covid but as long as I have a choice I won't be getting the vaccine.

Why?

Covid is not a threat to my demograph in general terms. We know nothing about this virus yet other than there is massive public will to rush it through in an unprecedented timeline.

It's likely that the vaccine is no more dangerous than COVID. I'd take the vaccine just so I won't be a) taking COVID at some unfortunate time and b) pass COVID onto someone in a higher risk demographic.

Yes there's a risk with taking the vaccine but there's a much higher probability that by catching COVID and passing on the infection you'd be participating in a chain of infection that at some point in the future will kill someone. So the benefits far outweigh the risk.

I hope and intend to get neither the vaccine or Covid.

The higher risk demographic are really the ones who will benefit from the vaccine and you'd imagine we should be in a position where the majority of those at risk are vaccinated by the end of spring.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Yes Angelo be great to eat Kentucky fried chicken and not get fat but the reality is very simple if you put yourself in a position or if your family put you in a position that youse catch Covid then the chances are you have already spread it, do the sensible thing and take the vaccine that will hopefully minimise your illness and the illness of others.

Anyone who feels that they are taking precautions and won't get it is stupid. I've known plenty who have 'taken precautions' and got it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seaney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 22, 2020, 11:49:15 AM
Quote from: Seaney on October 22, 2020, 12:54:32 PM
No nor will any of my family.

Seaney the first page of this thread (will you take vaccine) you said no, and nor will my family!

Jesus you are as thick as pigs shite, read the thread title.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seaney on December 22, 2020, 09:03:40 PM

Seaney the first page of this thread (will you take vaccine) you said no, and nor will my family!

So thicko, the person that's in your family that you care for. Have they taken the vaccine?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Quote from: trileacman on December 22, 2020, 07:21:26 PM

Why?

But are those two reasons the two that aren't covered by this vaccine? The vaccine prevents dangerous illness in 95% in those who take it, but doesn't prevent you getting it or transmitting it?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: ONeill on December 23, 2020, 07:47:31 AMThe vaccine prevents dangerous illness in 95% in those who take it, but doesn't prevent you getting it or transmitting it?

Its not yet proven that it prevents you transmitting it.

Same as its not yet proven that it doesn't prevent you transmitting it.

Simply a lack of information either way at this time. It's something that will just take time to sort.

To conclude it without any morals or regards for your "volunteers", you'd need to assemble two representative cohorts, vaccinate one cohort, then expose both to covid. After which, both would be monitored for shed viral particles.

Its a bit of a dilemma given that the set of untreated volunteers needs to be actively infected with covid (and could get very sick) to compare against. Its slightly less of a problem in that you are seeking to actively infect the vaccinated group too.

I suppose if they could establish a suitable protocol and find the resource, they could monitor existing covid patients. Wouldn't be quite as rigorous but don't let perfect be the enemy of good and all that.
i usse an speelchekor

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 22, 2020, 08:52:13 PM
Yes Angelo be great to eat Kentucky fried chicken and not get fat but the reality is very simple if you put yourself in a position or if your family put you in a position that youse catch Covid then the chances are you have already spread it, do the sensible thing and take the vaccine that will hopefully minimise your illness and the illness of others.

Anyone who feels that they are taking precautions and won't get it is stupid. I've known plenty who have 'taken precautions' and got it

And there is no proof the vaccine will stop me catching the vaccine and transmitting it either. The best way of contracting the virus is to follow all the guidelines between limiting contacts and hygiene, which I have done and will continue to do so. If I was happy that this vaccine was satisfactorily tested and completely safe I would have no issue getting it but none of us know that yet and as Covid only really causes mild illness to people of my demograph then that makes my mind up.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on December 23, 2020, 09:47:52 AM

And there is no proof the vaccine will stop me catching the vaccine and transmitting it either. The best way of contracting the virus is to follow all the guidelines between limiting contacts and hygiene, which I have done and will continue to do so. If I was happy that this vaccine was satisfactorily tested and completely safe I would have no issue getting it but none of us know that yet and as Covid only really causes mild illness to people of my demograph then that makes my mind up.

But if you get it, because in your mind you are healthy, you don't know you have got it and pass it on, is that ok?

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 23, 2020, 10:23:45 AM

But if you get it, because in your mind you are healthy, you don't know you have got it and pass it on, is that ok?

Getting the vaccine doesn't neccessarily mean I won't get the vaccine or pass it on. It likely means I won't get as sick (which in my demograph is a mild illness), there is no proof to say it would stop me catching or transmitting.

The elderly and vulnerable people with underlying conditions are those who will benefit from the vaccine.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on December 23, 2020, 10:30:18 AM

Getting the vaccine doesn't neccessarily mean I won't get the vaccine or pass it on. It likely means I won't get as sick (which in my demograph is a mild illness), there is no proof to say it would stop me catching or transmitting.

The elderly and vulnerable people with underlying conditions are those who will benefit from the vaccine.

If there was proof?

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 23, 2020, 10:39:42 AM
Quote from: Angelo on December 23, 2020, 10:30:18 AM

If there was proof?

You're talking about fiction now.

Seaney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 22, 2020, 10:31:26 PM
Quote from: Seaney on December 22, 2020, 09:03:40 PM

So thicko, the person that's in your family that you care for. Have they taken the vaccine?

No one in my care has had the vaccine, what's your point Milhouse?

Seaney

On the sauce again?

trueblue1234

Some of us do know it's been satisfactorily tested. You can never give a guarantee on any vaccine, there's always a small level of risk. Just the same as you can't guarantee that you won't get and won't pass it on todo done vulnerable.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit