The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 25, 2009, 03:38:39 PM
Do ya see the state of the pitch for Bath v. Toulouse? Easy pen just missed. A complete lottery.

What result could make us have a Munster v. Leinster quarter final?
Need Bath to win with bonus pt or Toulouse to win and get 5 tries. Neither going to happen in that weather!

Leinster will be away to Bath if they beat Toulouse, otherwise it'll be Harlequins. Munster home to Ospreys

TORGAEL

Quarter final draw,games to be played April 10-12.

Cardiff Blues (1) v Toulouse (8)
Munster (2) v Ospreys (7)
Harlequins (3) v Leinster (6)
Leicester Tigers (4) v Bath Rugby (5)

TacadoirArdMhacha

Is that the first time there's only been 1 French team in the quarter finals?

Long break now but both Irish sides look like they've got a good chance.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Declan

Leinster were poor enough and looked as if they could have been there till next Sunday and not scored a try. However they are through and of all the away draws they could have gotten Harlequins looks like the handiest if there is such a thing as a handy draw in the quarters. On the plus side Kearney looked excellent. Munster look to be in good form as well 

Gnevin

Wasps must be kicking themselves, how they failed to achieve a result out there is beyond me . I agree the draw against quinns in the best Leinster could of gotten but Cardiff must be thinking who they pissed off to get Toulouse. I can see 2 Irish teams in the semi's
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Dinny Breen

QuoteWasps must be kicking themselves, how they failed to achieve a result out there is beyond me

Why? Catres have some very good players, beat Leinster at home and like all French tend to have a good record at home. Castres would always have been favourites for that game.
#newbridgeornowhere

Gnevin

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 26, 2009, 10:30:03 AM
QuoteWasps must be kicking themselves, how they failed to achieve a result out there is beyond me

Why? Catres have some very good players, beat Leinster at home and like all French tend to have a good record at home. Castres would always have been favourites for that game.
Because when the French teams are out they normally don't give a toss any more. Before the game i thought there was a very real chance of Wasps not only winning but picking up the 5 points
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hound

Quote from: Declan on January 26, 2009, 08:00:25 AM
Leinster were poor enough and looked as if they could have been there till next Sunday and not scored a try. However they are through and of all the away draws they could have gotten Harlequins looks like the handiest if there is such a thing as a handy draw in the quarters. On the plus side Kearney looked excellent. Munster look to be in good form as well 
Little bit harsh given Fitzgerald had what looked a perfectly good try chalked off by a poor decision.

The first half I thought they played well, albeit the second, especially the last 20, they didnt have any penetration.
Agree re Kearney, and nice to see Heaslip finally show a bit of form. Plus Leinster will be a lot better in spring conditions than they are in winter conditions.

Declan

QuoteLittle bit harsh given Fitzgerald had what looked a perfectly good try chalked off by a poor decision.

dunno Hound - sure even that one was the result of a brutal pass by the doctor - To me they never looked like finishing a move off with a try

Dinny Breen

QuoteBecause when the French teams are out they normally don't give a toss any more. Before the game i thought there was a very real chance of Wasps not only winning but picking up the 5 points

French teams never play a wekened side at home and always target their home games, Castre and Montauban would have small squads and would not pick their strongest teams on their travels as they can't compete on two fronts but their fans demand their strongest teams at home. In fairness that makes Munsters result all the more impressive however I'm thinking they've peaked too early as Munster generally don't qualify with such ease.

Leinster were poor in attack but just to emphasise again their defence was very impressive, they have the best defensive record in Europe, if that was Munster they would be commended for a very professional performance.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 26, 2009, 11:16:17 AM
In fairness that makes Munsters result all the more impressive however I'm thinking they've peaked too early as Munster generally don't qualify with such ease.

I think they peaked at the same time they have in previous years. They didnt qualify with ease because they played well throughout the tournament, they were poor enough early on but had some outragous luck.

But scoring 5 tries in Mountabaun shows, in my opinion, they are clearly the best team left in the tournament. Feck all between the other 7 at this moment in time. 

turk

Munster are the best team in Europe over the last few years. It still amuses me to hear some media portraying them as plucky underdogs and to hear Munster fans shaking their head forlornly when talking about their upcoming matches! Imagine how sick other teams must be when they are drawn to play Munster!!

Dinny Breen

QuoteI think they peaked at the same time they have in previous years. They didnt qualify with ease because they played well throughout the tournament, they were poor enough early on but had some outragous luck.

I don't know about that Hound, this I think is the easiest they have had ever to qualify, last year they had to dig deep away to Clermont in the 2nd last game and were very patchy against Wasps in their final group game and can thank the condtions for their win. The year before they lost their last game to Leicester and the year before that they needed a miracle match performance against Sale to qualify.

Anyhow they are clear favourites but the Ospreys are a cocky team and will fancy their chances in Turinp Park.
#newbridgeornowhere

Tankie

I think that the draw has been very kind to both Munster and Leinster, I think we will have two Irish teams in the Semi-Final. Quinns is a support away fixture for Leinster when you consider what they coul have drawn against!
Grand Slam Saturday!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 26, 2009, 11:16:17 AM
QuoteBecause when the French teams are out they normally don't give a toss any more. Before the game i thought there was a very real chance of Wasps not only winning but picking up the 5 points

Leinster were poor in attack but just to emphasise again their defence was very impressive, they have the best defensive record in Europe, if that was Munster they would be commended for a very professional performance.

I don't think even Munster would be commended for having something like 73% territory for the second half yesterday and failing miserably to get over the try line against a very understrength Edinburgh side with nothing to play for except pride. Leinster's performances have been going steadily downhill all tournament and in truth they were a bit lucky in the end that Wasps were a little bit worse than they were. The backline is malfunctioning spectacularly at the moment. At least they have a break now until the quarter-finals because if that game was next weekend they would probably be going out.