Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Bill

Quote from: corn02 on December 22, 2008, 12:59:53 PM
No Toal, he must be going for the soccer big style. Disappointed, a cracking player.
Was never dying bout toal corn. Seemed to be hot and cold and anytime i seen him he was always cold. Bit of a moonman aswell. Good luck to him with the soccer.

corn02

Quote from: Old Bill on December 22, 2008, 02:42:08 PM
Quote from: corn02 on December 22, 2008, 12:59:53 PM
No Toal, he must be going for the soccer big style. Disappointed, a cracking player.
Was never dying bout toal corn. Seemed to be hot and cold and anytime i seen him he was always cold. Bit of a moonman aswell. Good luck to him with the soccer.

As far as I know he preferred the road bowls, anytime I seen him he was fantastic (at football not bowls).

fitzroyalty

Quote from: hardstation on December 21, 2008, 11:34:43 PM
What ever became of Ballyhegan's Johnny McKeever? Saved a peno in Croker. Got on BBC and all.

loves the rip. if he drops the ball the way he drops pints i'd be concerned

downtown

Has anyone got a list of the panel for the NFL?

fitzroyalty

This is for the McKenna Cup:

Ronan Austin (Clan Na Gael)
Conor Clarke (Pearse Og)
Ronan Clarke (Pearse Og)
Brendan Donaghy (Clonmore)
J P Donnelly (Pearse Og)
Joe Feeney (Madden)
Ryan Henderson (Clann Eireann)
James Lavery (Maghery)
Malachy Mackin (St Patrick's)
Brian Mallon (Tir na nÓg)
Vincent Martin (Dromintee)
Finnian Moriarty (Wolfe Tone)
Tony McClelland (Granemore)
Barry McDonald (Tir na nÓg)
Eugene McDonnell (Keady)
Philip McElroy (Dromintee)
Ciaran McKeever (St Patrick's)
Paddy McKeever (Ballyhegan)
Shane O'Neill (Dromintee)
Aidan O'Rourke (Dromintee)
Kevin O'Rourke (St Michael's)
Martin O'Rourke (Dromintee)
Micheal O'Rourke (Dromintee)
Neil O'Rourke (St Michael's)
Chris Rafferty (Pearse Og)
Paudie Rodgers (Lissummon)
Barry Shannon (Dromintee)
Gareth Smyth (Mullaghbawn)
Barry Toner (Granemore)
Kieran Toner (Granemore)

winsamsoon

Glad to see Chris Rafferty from the Og's get a wee chance at senior level  seen him play at minor level and over the year with his club and he has always been steady. Not to mention a complete gentleman to boot.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

corn02

Thought there would be a bit more debate on here about it.

No Harps men I see. I thought Morrison was going to get a run, I take it Kelly did not get a trial?

mackers

Quote from: corn02 on December 23, 2008, 10:52:40 AM

No Harps men I see. I thought Morrison was going to get a run, I take it Kelly did not get a trial?

I doubt AFS is on his holidays, he's normally a good man for this type of thing. Would like to have seen both Kelly and Swift get a run out from the Harps with Vernon obviously with Queens and my big hope P Toal away for soccer trials. We badly need to discover at least one scoring forward and he was the answer if he were to stay fit. Of the forwards on the panel I would like to see Joe Feeney and Ryan Henderson get a good run in the three games with a view to helping Stevie and Ronan in the scoring stakes. Our back line will pretty much pick itself later in the year................why is Andy Mallon not on the panel? Is he injured? Looking forward to seeing this lad McEvoy in goals corn, after your recommendation.
Would really have liked to have seen how some of the younger Cross boys would have blended in but we're gonna have to wait a while for that. 
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Old Bill

???

Final Whistle

Quote from: Old Bill on December 23, 2008, 01:09:02 PM

???

Can he run?

corn02

I heard he did well at the trials.

AFS

Still about mackers  ;D

Fairly happy with the panel, with a few of the main men missing it seems a lot of lads going to have plenty of chances to stake their claims, which can only be a good thing. Particularly looking forward to seeing James Lavery have the chance to re-establish himself. Brendan Donaghy should get a good run of games to try to nail down a Championship starting spot. Joe Feeney should also get a few run outs, hoping for big things from him. Kick outs, from whoever is the chosen GK, will be interesting as Hearty's aimless punts have been putting pressure on our midfield for years, so it'd be nice if the new guy could make an attempt at directing the ball in a general direction at the very least.

The only thing I'd have a bit of bother with is the inclusion of guys like Smyth and Shannon. I've nothing in particular against these guys, and by the simplest logic they are probably in the top 30-40 players in the county, therefore should be involved. But they've been hanging around McKenna Cup/League panels for 5 or 6 years now and have never really looked like they were gonna break through and claim a Championship spot, so I'd question the logic of including these guys, who are in their mid to late twenties now, over a couple of fresh 19-20 year olds.

Don't expect much Spring success but as long as 2 or 3 guys put their hands up for a Summer spot I'll be delighted. Roll on the 4th :)

corn02

Quote from: AFS on December 23, 2008, 02:19:59 PM
Still about mackers  ;D

Fairly happy with the panel, with a few of the main men missing it seems a lot of lads going to have plenty of chances to stake their claims, which can only be a good thing. Particularly looking forward to seeing James Lavery have the chance to re-establish himself. Brendan Donaghy should get a good run of games to try to nail down a Championship starting spot. Joe Feeney should also get a few run outs, hoping for big things from him. Kick outs, from whoever is the chosen GK, will be interesting as Hearty's aimless punts have been putting pressure on our midfield for years, so it'd be nice if the new guy could make an attempt at directing the ball in a general direction at the very least.

The only thing I'd have a bit of bother with is the inclusion of guys like Smyth and Shannon. I've nothing in particular against these guys, and by the simplest logic they are probably in the top 30-40 players in the county, therefore should be involved. But they've been hanging around McKenna Cup/League panels for 5 or 6 years now and have never really looked like they were gonna break through and claim a Championship spot, so I'd question the logic of including these guys, who are in their mid to late twenties now, over a couple of fresh 19-20 year olds.

Don't expect much Spring success but as long as 2 or 3 guys put their hands up for a Summer spot I'll be delighted. Roll on the 4th :)

Fair points AFS, obviously from a Dromintee point of view I hope Shannon gets more game time, but I see your point.

As you say the GK spot will be interesting, but if someone as classy as McKinney does not get the nod who knows? I am sure the Harps men will have been impressed with McEvoy in recent years too.

Agreed on the last point two. If two or three 'put their hands up' as you say, it will bea job well done. Mackin is bound to have a point to prove and if he takes hsi club form into it, he could have a say in the summer.

I will watch Henderson and Austin with interest. Two players touted for their ability but for one reason or another have not shined or had the chance. Feeney may be a little green. I have seen hima couple of times and he has been excellent, but this is a different level for someone as young. Surprised to see JP there, was he good for the Ogs this year? Martin from Dromintee is a very good prospect. He destroyed/ had a horse of a game ( delete as appropriate ;)) against Cross.

Smyth is a very good defender and played a big part in the u21 success.

Unfortuantely I don't really know anything about Keady's McDonnell or Chris Rafferty is anyone wants to give us a run down?

I know it is only McKenna Cup, but I never thought I'd see the day when seven Dromintee boys are on the squad, likewise I am sure Granemore never thought they would see three men on it a few years back.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Ronan Austin (Clan Na Gael)
Conor Clarke (Pearse Og)
Ronan Clarke (Pearse Og)
Brendan Donaghy (Clonmore)
J P Donnelly (Pearse Og)
Joe Feeney (Madden)
Ryan Henderson (Clann Eireann)
James Lavery (Maghery)
Malachy Mackin (St Patrick's)
Brian Mallon (Tir na nÓg)
Vincent Martin (Dromintee)
Finnian Moriarty (Wolfe Tone)
Tony McClelland (Granemore)
Barry McDonald (Tir na nÓg)
Eugene McDonnell (Keady)
Philip McElroy (Dromintee)
Ciaran McKeever (St Patrick's)
Paddy McKeever (Ballyhegan)
Shane O'Neill (Dromintee)
Aidan O'Rourke (Dromintee)
Kevin O'Rourke (St Michael's)
Martin O'Rourke (Dromintee)
Micheal O'Rourke (Dromintee)
Neil O'Rourke (St Michael's)
Chris Rafferty (Pearse Og)
Paudie Rodgers (Lissummon)
Barry Shannon (Dromintee)
Gareth Smyth (Mullaghbawn)
Barry Toner (Granemore)
Kieran Toner (Granemore)

I suppose the squad is fairly as expected, with McKinney's absence the main surprise. There'd be a couple of players I'd know little about - Rafferty, McElroy, mcDonnell, Feeney. Is Neil O'Rourke a borther of Kevin's?

Glad to see Malachy Mackin back in the squad. After his club performances last year, its fully deserved.

I agree with Corn that henderson is one to watch - I saw him once last year playing for Armagh against Wexford at the opening of Clam Eireann's pitch and he was arguably the best player on the pitch. Albeit only a challenge match but hopefully he'll show some form. Woulda been nice to have had the likes of the McKeowns, Murtagh and McNamee from Cross available.

One thing I would sat, is that while obviously every player ont he panel should get their chance, I'd like to see the team backboned by established county players in the McKenna Cup eg Clarke, Donaghy, Aidan and Martin O'Rourke, Ciaran McKeever. No point in selected 12 / 13 debutants in one team as happened last year as that tends to leave the team lacking shape and direction and its very difficult for so many fellas to make the step up at the same time. Much better to have them playing alongside more established lads.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

corn02

TAC 'McElroy' is McEvoy - Dromintee keeper.