Premier League coming to Ireland?

Started by Hound, February 07, 2008, 01:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

There could be Premier League games played in Ireland from the 2010/11 season!

According to the BBC, Premier League clubs have voted in favour of exploring the possibility of playing games overseas. The clubs have agreed in principle to play a 39th league game of the season - one which would count towards the final standings.

It is largely aimed at Asia, the Middle East and North America - but European venues, including Ireland, could also be chosen.

The games would be played in five cities around the world, who would bid for the privilege of having the Premier League come to town. Two games would be staged in each city, making up the full extra round of fixtures.

The matches would be decided by a draw, with the top five sides being seeded to avoid playing with each other (one of the top 5 going to each of the 5 different cities).

A firm decision is unlikely to be made until another league meeting in June.

Personally I wouldnt be surprised to see the Premier League go down this route, but I don't see Ireland being a contender.

Gnevin

Maybe the GAA could play the Leinster Final in Canada or the states . Then i can go on holidays with out missing a game
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Gnevin on February 07, 2008, 01:39:10 PM
Maybe the GAA could play the Leinster Final in Canada or the states . Then i can go on holidays with out missing a game

Posh fecker, whats wrong with playing it in Lazarote?  ;D
Ask me holy bollix

Gabriel_Hurl

You can watch it in those places already  ???

Hardy

Star Spangler

Quote from: Hound on February 07, 2008, 01:33:14 PM
There could be Premier League games played in Ireland from the 2010/11 season!

According to the BBC, Premier League clubs have voted in favour of exploring the possibility of playing games overseas. The clubs have agreed in principle to play a 39th league game of the season - one which would count towards the final standings.

It is largely aimed at Asia, the Middle East and North America - but European venues, including Ireland, could also be chosen.

The games would be played in five cities around the world, who would bid for the privilege of having the Premier League come to town. Two games would be staged in each city, making up the full extra round of fixtures.

The matches would be decided by a draw, with the top five sides being seeded to avoid playing with each other (one of the top 5 going to each of the 5 different cities).

A firm decision is unlikely to be made until another league meeting in June.

Personally I wouldnt be surprised to see the Premier League go down this route, but I don't see Ireland being a contender.

As if the two Irish leagues weren't finding it difficult enough already.

lynchbhoy

are we going to see the drive for 'wimbledon fc' to move here all over again ?

local league souldnt be any worse (in terms of support) as it already is

croker will take in extra revenue maybe?

is this the start of the push for the elite euro league ?

nifan

It is one of the worst ideas i have heard in a long time

TacadoirArdMhacha

Seems a bit unfair to play one team 3 times for league points and everyone else just twice. Say United drew Man City (good side, always hugely motivated against United) and drew while Arsenal got Derby and won handily and at the end of the season Arsenal won the league by a point. Would bring in an aspect of "Cup" luck to the league which wouldn't be fair in my opinion.

QuoteIt is one of the worst ideas i have heard in a long time

From the Premier League's point of view, if it makes money (which it probably will), its a good idea.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

altovito

the importnt part of the quote is cities bid 4 games 2 cum to town.it is al about the money now.i dont thnk it wud work but if u throw enuf money anything cn hapen

Gnevin

Quote from: his holiness nb on February 07, 2008, 01:43:26 PM

Posh fecker, whats wrong with playing it in Lazarote?  ;D
Ballymun in the sun!  Me arse
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on February 07, 2008, 01:49:04 PM

You can watch it in those places already  ???
The Leinster Final ! Live as in at the match. Well thats news to me

Aristotle Flynn

The GAA once played the All Ireland football final in New York City, I believe.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Gnevin

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on February 07, 2008, 05:17:47 PM
The GAA once played the All Ireland football final in New York City, I believe.

1947    September 14    Polo Grounds, New York    Cavan    2-11    Kerry    2-7

Son_of_Sam

I don't know where they going to play them, because the soccer grounds on this Island are complete $h!th0l€$. The new Lansdown or Windsor are the only two places I suppose.