Quote from: tbrick18 on April 29, 2021, 10:49:49 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 29, 2021, 10:32:07 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on April 29, 2021, 10:16:47 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 29, 2021, 09:35:51 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 29, 2021, 09:30:47 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 28, 2021, 08:12:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 28, 2021, 07:51:59 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on April 28, 2021, 03:04:41 PM
Whats wrong with the ones at Elms? I thought they would be a decent standard considering they are Queens Halls?

It's liked a compact Japanese room, pretty basic, lovely shared kitchen, but for £500 a month her room is smaller than my living room
Sounds familiar. I remember my room in halls (probably now demolished) was basically the length of a bed with a wee cubby hole just past it that was a wardrobe and sink.

Only the posh kids stayed in the halls back in the day. We'd to slum it in the Holylands.

I got lucky down there, some really decent places (for us at the time), clean and tidy and decently priced.

I seen some of the messes my friends ended up in though....It was an early lesson in first come, first served.

It really was a race to get decent digs.
The halls were just too expensive in the 90s anyway, I'm sure it's worse now. I certainly couldn't afford it but would always have loved to have had a year in them.
We had some ropey houses....one on Fitzroy took the prize for being the worst in living history. We had rats, damp, no living room....it was dire. Thinking back on it I dont know why we ever stayed in it.

Dogshit Ave with the crusties was a dire place.

We'd a rat too in one of the houses, feckin thing ate a full slice of bread soaked in bleach and aftershave and was still kicking till it got a hurl across the skull one thursday night.
It was owned by a lovely wee old couple from Fermanagh, but the house was damp as f**k, so much so we deliberately set the chimney on fire by sticking a paling post up it. The burning embers floating out over Fitzroy was like fireworks.

Laird estate agents by any chance? They had every hole in Belfast on their books.
We lived in an upstairs flat above some auld fella who complained about us making noise opening the door to our flat, collected rubbish off the street and stored it in his flat and in the back yard and tended to walk around the place in his pj's which were opened wide for ventilation and left nothing to the imagination!
We got pissed off with him and watched for him leaving one day and glued an empty beer can to the step at the front door and then sat back to watch the auld cratur try to pick it up.
I think the flats were owned by the same guy who owned the spar shop down in the hollylands. Money grabbing heur.

Nah, just a wee old couple who'd "invested" in one of those big red brick houses near the top of Fitzroy. I think we'd six in the flat paying £45 per month back in the early 90's.

The lad you're talking about hovered up a load of those houses back then but IIRC he had a wee chipshop in that area that made chip butties and the likes. He'd a full time handyman flying around in a van who spent a lot of time buying beds, mattresses, cookers and the likes at auctions and god knows wherever else. I think he owns that Spar now which was called Barry's back in the day. Dear hole.

So he did....was is name Desie? He came to our flat once a month to put down rat poison.

Tony Baloney

Thankfully we never stayed in any real dungeons. Halls in 1st year then Stranmillis and Holylands after that. The worst I ever was in was on Tate's Avenue that lads in the class were in. The tank in the loft flooded over Xmas and when they can came it was soaked, all the plaster came off the walls and the house looked like it was ready for demolition. The landlord refused to fix it as he blamed them. It wasn't fit for human habitation. We used to sit drinking in their living room dressed for outdoors and they eventually burnt the mantlepiece and stair rods and banister in the fire to keep warm.

general_lee

Was a pic going about WhatsApp maybe a year or so ago from ones living in the holylands. Basically of a toilet that didn't function (presuming landlord never fixed it)  but still got used anyway.

The whole area should be CPO'd, regenerated & re-zoned for mixed social/private housing.

Hoof Hearted

Some craic reading this
I didn't do the student life and sometimes I think I missed out but I'm not so sure !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on April 29, 2021, 01:35:33 PM
Some craic reading this
I didn't do the student life and sometimes I think I missed out but I'm not so sure !!

I didn't do the student life, I worked and partied in the Holylands most nights. As the lads were saying they were a complete tip, falling asleep was a hazardous and came with a health warning, the country lads were unreal, let off the lead and partied hard.

Its funny bumping into these lads 30 years down the road, business men, high up in the Civil service or teachers and while they would maybe struggle to remember me I always have a chuckle at them now and what they got up to. Its a great thing we didn't have social media back in the day or phones!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 29, 2021, 01:46:09 PM
Some craic reading this

I didn't do the student life, I worked and partied in the Holylands most nights. As the lads were saying they were a complete tip, falling asleep was a hazardous and came with a health warning, the country lads were unreal, let off the lead and partied hard.

Its funny bumping into these lads 30 years down the road, business men, high up in the Civil service or teachers and while they would maybe struggle to remember me I always have a chuckle at them now and what they got up to. Its a great thing we didn't have social media back in the day or phones!

Amen to that!  ;D

johnnycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 29, 2021, 01:00:46 PM
Thankfully we never stayed in any real dungeons. Halls in 1st year then Stranmillis and Holylands after that. The worst I ever was in was on Tate's Avenue that lads in the class were in. The tank in the loft flooded over Xmas and when they can came it was soaked, all the plaster came off the walls and the house looked like it was ready for demolition. The landlord refused to fix it as he blamed them. It wasn't fit for human habitation. We used to sit drinking in their living room dressed for outdoors and they eventually burnt the mantlepiece and stair rods and banister in the fire to keep warm.

They weren't from Ballycastle by any chance?  ;)

johnnycool

Some craic reading this

great craic alright, but as an asthmatic I ended up with loads of chest infections and pleurisy at one point.

Also fucked a landlord out of a house in Jesus street as he'd refused to fix the damp in the gable house we were in so we stopped paying the rent and he came on a big heavy handed with one of the other lads in the house as I walked through the door.

He threatened me with the law as he was going backwards at a rate of noughts through the same front door and it wasn't exactly a clean exit.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: johnnycool on April 29, 2021, 02:04:48 PM
Some craic reading this

great craic alright, but as an asthmatic I ended up with loads of chest infections and pleurisy at one point.

Also fucked a landlord out of a house in Jesus street as he'd refused to fix the damp in the gable house we were in so we stopped paying the rent and he came on a big heavy handed with one of the other lads in the house as I walked through the door.

He threatened me with the law as he was going backwards at a rate of noughts through the same front door and it wasn't exactly a clean exit.

Class  ;D
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

GetOverTheBar

Ah the landlords were great men for the law until the Belfast Council and Spotlight came round one year with the cameras and the measuring tape, Declan Boyle was nailed over a load of conversions, so much so he actually entered politics shortly after if I remember correctly.

johnnycool

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 29, 2021, 02:18:32 PM
Ah the landlords were great men for the law until the Belfast Council and Spotlight came round one year with the cameras and the measuring tape, Declan Boyle was nailed over a load of conversions, so much so he actually entered politics shortly after if I remember correctly.

Thought he'd left the SDLP although the brother is still hanging in there!

tbrick18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 29, 2021, 01:46:09 PM
Some craic reading this

Yep!
God forbid the things our kids would find out about us if there was.
You have to feel sorry for the younger ones now who will never really have that sense of privacy again. I mean, how could they keep a girl at home for the weekends and one at uni during the week without being caught out on social media?
The world is couped.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnnycool on April 29, 2021, 01:52:53 PM

It was a gatherup house full of Prods but safe to say there wasn't much church going out of them! Youll have to name names on these Ballycastle hallions.

TabClear

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 29, 2021, 05:15:38 PM

It was a gatherup house full of Prods but safe to say there wasn't much church going out of them! Youll have to name names on these Ballycastle hallions.

I'm feeling nostalgic for the Mucksavages thread (may it RIP).  :D

Anyone know how long ago that it was accessible? One of the Board's all time highlights in my time on here. In those days the Board was blocked by my employers firewall, mobile phones were either too fiddly or slow to upload (or crippling from a data perspective) so it used to be home from work and straight onto the laptop to see what gems had been added. ;D

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: TabClear on April 29, 2021, 05:36:00 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 29, 2021, 05:15:38 PM

I'm feeling nostalgic for the Mucksavages thread (may it RIP).  :D

Anyone know how long ago that it was accessible? One of the Board's all time highlights in my time on here. In those days the Board was blocked by my employers firewall, mobile phones were either too fiddly or slow to upload (or crippling from a data perspective) so it used to be home from work and straight onto the laptop to see what gems had been added. ;D

This was linked here a few years ago

https://takkischitt.com/stuff/eejits/mucksavages/mucksavages.pdf
Hasta la victoria siempre