Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: J70 on May 14, 2021, 12:51:16 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on May 14, 2021, 08:46:10 AM
Have literally never seen Liverpool fans so peaked, I didnt realise it was the league title on the line last night.

Someone better let Pep know they have to run down with the trophy to Anfield, unreal.

No one wants to the lose the game, but you have one team with something to play for and one team with literally nothing.

On the performance, United no where near the level required for a number of reasons. I will take this result all day long if it shows to Ole and the Club how short we really are in terms of overall quality within the squad and they react over the summer.

Seriously?

You can't comprehend why Liverpool fans would be delighted with that win in the circumstances the team is in?

I can totally understand why they would be delighted but they have failed to see that it was a big game for them and not for United. The reaction was something akin to winning a league not getting a chance to qualify for top 4.

Yes it is a derby but a meaningless one for one side of it.

United fans more concerned with the frailties exposed in the squad, most of which have been acknowledged but were laid bare last night. So focus for fans is on the summer now and the recruitment.

J70

Quote from: NAG1 on May 14, 2021, 01:16:14 PM
Have literally never seen Liverpool fans so peaked, I didnt realise it was the league title on the line last night.

Someone better let Pep know they have to run down with the trophy to Anfield, unreal.

No one wants to the lose the game, but you have one team with something to play for and one team with literally nothing.

On the performance, United no where near the level required for a number of reasons. I will take this result all day long if it shows to Ole and the Club how short we really are in terms of overall quality within the squad and they react over the summer.

Seriously?

You can't comprehend why Liverpool fans would be delighted with that win in the circumstances the team is in?

I can totally understand why they would be delighted but they have failed to see that it was a big game for them and not for United. The reaction was something akin to winning a league not getting a chance to qualify for top 4.

United fans more concerned with the frailties exposed in the squad, most of which have been acknowledged but were laid bare last night. So focus for fans is on the summer now and the recruitment.

1. Getting top 4 and all that flows on from, after the season Liverpool have had, WOULD be akin to winning a major prize, at least in the short term. Only a couple of days ago they were completely out of it, again, when Chelsea unexpectedly beat City away and United basically threw the game to Leicester. We've been hearing for months about how NOT making the CL would/will impact Liverpool FC's plans for the coming seasons. John Henry wasn't conspiring with Joel Glazer out of a simple love for European nights.

2. Given Liverpool's lack of fluency, toothlessness up front, problems at the back, and overall nervous, tentative displays coming into this, many people, including in the media and among United's (and I would say Liverpool's) support, thought that United's first choice (and rested) team would be well capable to finishing off Liverpool's top 4 hopes. No one predicted beforehand that Liverpool would rediscover the high intensity pressing, movement and sharpness that ended up causing United to look like they were at thrown together pub team for large stretches before and after half time. That doesn't mean that the coming three games against park-the-bus teams will go the same way, but at least the team has found that they still have it in them to impose themselves and there is reason to be hopeful that they can go and win these three games.

3. Liverpool had won once at OT in the last ten years, and not at all in seven. Its their biggest rival, the whole season was riding on the game (it was basically a cup tie for them), and, again, there was plenty of talk beforehand about United sabotaging Liverpool's CL hopes. And sorry, but I don't believe for one second that United fans, coming into it and on the night, weren't first and foremost, more concerned about being the ones to end Liverpool's season. Just like I am pretty sure that if the Liverpool game had been on Tuesday night, you would have seen a much different approach to the three games from Solksjaer, as I seriously doubt he would have put the Leicester line-up out to play Liverpool (just like Klopp went against form and put out a strong team for the cup game earlier in the season, unlike previous ties against the likes of Everton and Chelsea). That the game exposed the frailties in the squad is an undoubted outcome of the game, but there wasn't much word about that in the lead up to the game.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Armamike on May 14, 2021, 09:40:43 AM
Man U fans got a glimpse last night what it's like to lose a regular cb.

Seen this type of comment posted alot online.

Last Thursday with Maguire playing United only for DeGea would have conceded at least 6 goals against Roma and a simliar carefree attitude was delivered in that performance by Uniteds players as last night.

Liverpool have the likes of Thiago, Fabinho,Wijnaldum protecting the defence a world of difference compared to Fred and McTominay.

Can anyone make sense of that final sub? Bailly taken off as expected as he had played a full 90 minutes on Tuesday and replaced by Matic with McTominay moved to centre back while a centre back Tuanzebe wasn't brought on? To make matters worse it was Matic that lost the ball and McTominay caught up the field and was like a snail chasing back for that 4th goal.

Milltown Row2

Think it was a brilliant win for Liverpool and Utd fans can spin this anyway they want, I don't know any Utd fan that is feeling happy about that loss, while its not relevant for Utd's season it would have been nice to see Utd finish the league with a decent run...

As for the rivalry, it'll continue to be the biggest game in the league every year, Utd have in the past 30 years have managed to finish ahead of Liverpool in the league but the truth is both these seasons Utd have fallen way below on points to champions and that would not be good enough for a club like Utd.

Will City run away with the league next year or will Liverpool mount another challenge when all their players are fit. Utd on the other hand are about 3 players short and 2/3 years short of experience for the younger lads.

Potentially there is a championship winning team there but whether Ole is at the wheel or not will depend on the EL final and the start of the league next season
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dire Ear

Well put,  both J70 and MR2

NAG1

Quote from: J70 on May 14, 2021, 01:59:17 PM

Seriously?

1. Getting top 4 and all that flows on from, after the season Liverpool have had, WOULD be akin to winning a major prize, at least in the short term. Only a couple of days ago they were completely out of it, again, when Chelsea unexpectedly beat City away and United basically threw the game to Leicester. We've been hearing for months about how NOT making the CL would/will impact Liverpool FC's plans for the coming seasons. John Henry wasn't conspiring with Joel Glazer out of a simple love for European nights.

2. Given Liverpool's lack of fluency, toothlessness up front, problems at the back, and overall nervous, tentative displays coming into this, many people, including in the media and among United's (and I would say Liverpool's) support, thought that United's first choice (and rested) team would be well capable to finishing off Liverpool's top 4 hopes. No one predicted beforehand that Liverpool would rediscover the high intensity pressing, movement and sharpness that ended up causing United to look like they were at thrown together pub team for large stretches before and after half time. That doesn't mean that the coming three games against park-the-bus teams will go the same way, but at least the team has found that they still have it in them to impose themselves and there is reason to be hopeful that they can go and win these three games.

3. Liverpool had won once at OT in the last ten years, and not at all in seven. Its their biggest rival, the whole season was riding on the game (it was basically a cup tie for them), and, again, there was plenty of talk beforehand about United sabotaging Liverpool's CL hopes. And sorry, but I don't believe for one second that United fans, coming into it and on the night, weren't first and foremost, more concerned about being the ones to end Liverpool's season. Just like I am pretty sure that if the Liverpool game had been on Tuesday night, you would have seen a much different approach to the three games from Solksjaer, as I seriously doubt he would have put the Leicester line-up out to play Liverpool (just like Klopp went against form and put out a strong team for the cup game earlier in the season, unlike previous ties against the likes of Everton and Chelsea). That the game exposed the frailties in the squad is an undoubted outcome of the game, but there wasn't much word about that in the lead up to the game.

Some fair points J70

My main issue was how LFC fan got so triggered by this game (mostly on social media), the recent success and that has led them into this self righteous attitude. No arguments that United fans and players would have enjoyed consigning them to the Europa, but as last nights game proved, when it comes to it this is not the same motivation as Liverpool had which was plain to see.

If you read back through the thread, you will find the more level headed united fans on here have identified the weaknesses in the squad which were exposed last night, for most of the season.

The thing is both squads will need improving if either are to mount a challenge to City next season regardless.

JoG2

Quote from: NAG1 on May 14, 2021, 02:57:54 PM

Seriously?

Some fair points J70

My main issue was how LFC fan got so triggered by this game (mostly on social media), the recent success and that has led them into this self righteous attitude. No arguments that United fans and players would have enjoyed consigning them to the Europa, but as last nights game proved, when it comes to it this is not the same motivation as Liverpool had which was plain to see.

If you read back through the thread, you will find the more level headed united fans on here have identified the weaknesses in the squad which were exposed last night, for most of the season.

The thing is both squads will need improving if either are to mount a challenge to City next season regardless.

I hope that fan who got carried away will have calmed him or herself down by now... Nothing to see here.  ;D

Taylor

Quote from: NAG1 on May 14, 2021, 02:57:54 PM

Seriously?

Some fair points J70

Looking at the 22 plus subs that played last night the pick of both teams wouldnt beat City to the PL next season.

That is the size of the challenge facing both of them

Hound

What a load of utter nonsense. Defeat must have been particularly salty for you!

Of course Liverpool fans are delighted everytime we beat United, just like the vice versa.

But here's a little reminder of a recent Liverpool victory over utd . You may well have had your head under a pillow for a year or two, but I can tell you every Liverpool fan was 100 times more 'peaked' for this one, as it meant the long awaited league title was done!

Milltown Row2

Yes great to see Liverpool fans happy, the moaning has been unbearable
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Champs League 2019, League winners 2020 after 30yrs but yeah last night topped it all......

Should maybe stop reading teenagers tweets on the twitter

#peaked

Milltown Row2

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 14, 2021, 11:09:13 PM
Champs League 2019, League winners 2020 after 30yrs but yeah last night topped it all......

#peaked

Don't forget the intermediate triple with Rafa

Hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 14, 2021, 11:12:26 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 14, 2021, 11:09:13 PM

#peaked

Don't forget the intermediate triple with Rafa
I doubt he's forgotten it. But completely and utterly irrelevant to his post. #peaked

Cunny Funt

Cunny Funt

Another lacklustre performance tonight, it remains to be seen if the recent performances was a case of players minding themselves before the up coming final or its their true form at the moment, if the latter United won't be winning that final. I'll be surprised if Maguire makes it and neither Bailly, Tuanzebe are like for like replacements. Fred, McTominay both picked up injuries tonight and Solskjaer said both are doubts for the final now.

That point against Fulham along with Leicester losing has secured a 2nd place finish for United. TBH I thought 4th at best this season United would get with the none of targets brought in during the transfer window and slow start to this season.