The BBC should be ashamed

Started by Armaghtothebone, June 12, 2007, 07:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armaghtothebone

Listened to the 5 o'clock news on Radio Ulster.On the day that is in it I was'nt surprised that the news was dominated by the flooding.
I waited for the sports news and their tribute to Eamon Coleman.I naievly thought it would be the lead story.The tragic death of a highly successful player and manager.Oh no the lead item was some hoo hah over the milk cup(a kiddies soccer tournament)
Bound to be second item...not a bit of it.A N.i select will play Everton in a pre season friendly
On and on it went.We had a lengthy piece on the death of a well known cyclist from the Ards area.With all due respect I had never heard of the man and I'm sure 95% of the population have'nt either. 
NOT SO MUCH AS A SINGLE WORD ON THE DEATH OF EAMON COLEMAN.
I cant help wondering if David Jeffrey had died would it not have even merrited a mention?
I shall be writing to the Sports editor at the BBC to register my disgust as a license payer.I stronly urge any Northern GAA board members to do likewise.

ExiledGael

There was a decent enough tribute piece by Mark Sidebottom on lunchtime and evening news in their defence.
Though their ttitude to GAA is well known.
Obviously the Radio Ulster producers are the traditional BBC types, disgraceful and blindly bigoted

Armaghtothebone

Exiled Gael
Was that on radio or t.v?

Thanks
Armaghtothebone

SammyG

Radio Ulster covered it last night (not sure about this morning as I wasn't listening), it's also the main item on the BBC NI Website (as it should be). http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/ and has been covered on BBC NI tv news.

ExiledGael

That was on TV, haven't heard any radio today or last night so can't comment on that.
It was the first item on UTV sports news with Logie

Solomon Kane

It was one of the first items on Good Morning Ulster this morning and got a fair amount of coverage.

Blacksheep

To be fair it was very well covered this morning. But they're still GAA hating bastards!
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

GweylTah

Quote from: Blacksheep on June 12, 2007, 09:21:23 PM
To be fair it was very well covered this morning. But they're still GAA hating bastards!

That explains why there is live coverage of GAA for several hours every Sunday afternoon on Radio Ulster throuhout the summer.

SammyG

Quote from: GweylTah on June 12, 2007, 09:35:36 PM
Quote from: Blacksheep on June 12, 2007, 09:21:23 PM

That explains why there is live coverage of GAA for several hours every Sunday afternoon on Radio Ulster throuhout the summer.

And two highlights shows every week on tv plus various live matches through the season.  ::) Plus it's own section on the BBC website, plus coverage on local news etc etc etc  ::)

ExiledGael

Sammy Soloman or Gweyltah, could you tell me when was the last live GAA match on BBC, or indeed the last time you watched the sport?
Just out of interest

screenexile

Quoteplus various live matches through the season.

When were these on Sammy? Can't believe I missed them! What with me being an avid GAA follower and all I wouldn't usually miss an opportunity to watch a match on the TV... hang on that's right, there's barely 1 per year. Yes that's right the most supported game in Northern Ireland and they show 1 paltry live game a year... Fantastic!

SammyG

Quote from: ExiledGael on June 12, 2007, 10:01:40 PM
Sammy Soloman or Gweyltah, could you tell me when was the last live GAA match on BBC, or indeed the last time you watched the sport?
Just out of interest
There aren't many live matches at the minute because the GAA have sold the contract to Setanta, when the BBC had the rights they showed live matches every Sunday (or it certainly felt like it). They show the Championship twice a week plus loads of other coverage. Not bad coverage for an organisation that thinks the BBC shouldn't even exist.

As far as watchingm I watch the matches on Setanta on a Saturday night and the odd game on a Sunday if there's no real football on. Saw a cracking hurling game at the weekend (and still think they're all mad barstewards)

Uladh

two Ulster Championship games at the weekend with 17,500 (Official attndance ;)) at both. It is by far the largest supported sport in the north and the coverage should reflect that.

ExiledGael

Matches every weekend?? I wish, they're obviously a torture to you
You'd be lucky if you see one point scored from a National League game anywhere, the All-Ireland qualifiers are the same.
For the Irish League you see almost every goal within twenty minutes of the full-times on a Saturday evening, with post match interviews with Jackie

Well even if the issue is surrounding the rights and not their own personal attitudes to the association, it will be interesting to see what they can do with all the new money they'll have to spend on sport after losing the NI soccer coverage to Sky!
Will they increase their GAA coverage? doubt it

winsamsoon

I totally agree that there ain't no ay near enough coverage of the biggest supported sport in the north. This guy said he watches it when there is no real football on  :) I ain't sure what he is refering to but i am nearly sure it is soccer and it is brutal to watch. The biggest game of the English season the Fa Cup final was an absolute great tonic for all those with sleeping difficulties. Club games are far more entertaining than that shite and these are the less talented players. I think i will write a letter to the bbc director aswell but it will once again fall on deaf ears asit is after all the British Broadcastig Coorporation.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.