One Punch

Started by trailer, November 03, 2022, 12:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Would it not be fair to suggest that immediately after an altercation, the least natural thing for a human to do, is to check on the health of their assailant? The very purpose of fighting / fighting back is to prevent the other purpose from being able to attack you.

Man Marker

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 03, 2022, 02:32:39 PM
Quote from: clarshack on November 03, 2022, 01:51:00 PM
would it be considered out of character for him? don't recall him as a dirty player when playing for Derry.

https://m.facebook.com/BallsGAA/videos/monster-hit-by-derrys-fergal-doherty/784187174985767/

What a lowlife to post that, its got feck all to do with it. its a shoulder tackle that was legitimate at the time of the game.

imtommygunn

seafoid

A real tragedy. The deceased had 2 kids. Awful.

Tubberman

Quote from: thewobbler on November 03, 2022, 02:46:59 PM
Would it not be fair to suggest that immediately after an altercation, the least natural thing for a human to do, is to check on the health of their assailant? The very purpose of fighting / fighting back is to prevent the other purpose from being able to attack you.

Would ya stop.You don't leave someone unconscious in the middle of a road.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

thewobbler

Quote from: Tubberman on November 03, 2022, 03:07:35 PM

It's about 30 years since I connected a punch, so I'm no expert in the appropriate decorum after taking a man's head off.

But I worked in plenty of pubs, some with door staff, some without. And never have I seen a member of staff go to to check on the health of someone who was forcibly removed.

Nor have I seen a brawl in a street end with one man on the ground and his opponent standing over him checking he is okay.

RedHand88

Joe Brolly taking the case.

WT4E

Quote from: thewobbler on November 03, 2022, 03:19:52 PM

It's about 30 years since I connected a punch, so I'm no expert in the appropriate decorum after taking a man's head off.

But I worked in plenty of pubs, some with door staff, some without. And never have I seen a member of staff go to to check on the health of someone who was forcibly removed.

Nor have I seen a brawl in a street end with one man on the ground and his opponent standing over him checking he is okay.

Its not a normal fight situation here

Doormen have a duty of care (I know most of them don't usually act with respect but thats no excuse)

The person who threw the punch in this case owned the premises - to leave the victim lying for 15mins and not check on him even after a minute is not right in my opinion.

gallsman

would it be considered out of character for him? don't recall him as a dirty player when playing for Derry.

No comparison to be made or parallel to be drawn here whatsoever.

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: WT4E on November 03, 2022, 03:25:05 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 03, 2022, 03:19:52 PM

Its not a normal fight situation here

Doormen have a duty of care (I know most of them don't usually act with respect but thats no excuse)

The person who threw the punch in this case owned the premises - to leave the victim lying for 15mins and not check on him even after a minute is not right in my opinion.

In the immediate aftermath of something like that, ie within seconds it probably wouldn't be a natural thing to do no.  I am assuming he knew he put him on the ground and knew he was still there minutes after he had done it, which is completely different.

I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

screenexile

Quote from: gallsman on November 03, 2022, 03:28:42 PM

No comparison to be made or parallel to be drawn here whatsoever.

Yeah 100%

For what it's worth I would have said this was out of character for him.

RedHand88

The problem is that when someone is intoxicated, it takes very little to knock them down. Plus they aren't going to protect their head whilst falling in the same way a sober person is. Any sort of head blow can be absolutely devastating.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Why did he get involved?
There were doormen there?

tbrick18

Absolutely tragic situation for all involved.

Really I wouldn't want to pass comment on either party as nobody here really knows what happened.
The sad truth is there is a family who have lost a father and another where the father is currently in prison.
There are no winners here no matter what the outcome.

Devastating for all involved.

tyrone08

Very tragic and it can happen to anyone. However its the actions or in this case the lack of actions which is the issue. Leaving someone out there for 15 mins and then dragging them in without any kind of assistance is the big issue along with lying to the police at the initial stage.