Should The GAA Change the name of named competitions

Started by Eire90, July 16, 2021, 12:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnGaelGearmanach

Quote from: johnnycool on July 16, 2021, 03:44:45 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 16, 2021, 03:27:46 PM
I think the heat is affecting some people.
The All Ireland SHC never had all of Ireland taking part.

At one point it did. Just that a lot of counties never bothered to enter it as that would mean trying to put a bit of effort into developing the game in their respective counties.

Can you explain further Johnny Cool.

Denn Forever

Are there not already junior,  intermediate and  senior all  ireland competitions?  And as for not knowing who Nicky Rackard is, what did Jules Remis  do?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AnGaelGearmanach

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 16, 2021, 04:24:14 PM
Are there not already junior,  intermediate and  senior all  ireland competitions?  And as for not knowing who Nicky Rackard is, what did Jules Remis  do?

If my memory serves he was long serving fifa president?

general_lee

Quote from: Eire90 on July 16, 2021, 12:16:35 PM
The cups like christy ring lory meghar  Nicky Rackard  if a casual sees that they dont have a clue what they mean or what level they are at can they not change it to something like all Ireland B  Championship or intermediate  or even all ireland plate all ireland vase etc why are the gaa obsessed with names.
Should change the name of the o'duffy stand in Clones never mind...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on July 16, 2021, 06:53:18 PM
The cups like christy ring lory meghar  Nicky Rackard  if a casual sees that they dont have a clue what they mean or what level they are at can they not change it to something like all Ireland B  Championship or intermediate  or even all ireland plate all ireland vase etc why are the gaa obsessed with names.
Should change the name of the o'duffy stand in Clones never mind...

Just call it the junior b stand
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 16, 2021, 04:24:14 PM
I have no idea but he's still gleamin' ;)

Eamonnca1

You could name stands after cardinal compass directions, but the names have a nicer ring to them, and it does help to keep the memory of people alive. If there were a part of Croke Park called the "West Stand," how often would people talk about Michael Hogan or the circumstances in which he was murdered?

seafoid

Every county has senior, intermediate, junior. But that is not the point.

But at the moment in the all Ireland everyone is senior. Creating a low babies/ high babies model would mean that 16 counties are expelled from senior paradise to become low babies

That is the problem
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: johnnycool on July 16, 2021, 02:10:57 PM

Image trying to commemorate sporting greats for posterity by naming a competition after them... Madness I know.

Maybe someone in years to come will ask who was Christy Ring or Nicky Rackard and be told exactly who they were.

Would you prefer the LVD vans AI intermediate hurling final?

Buy at least you know immediately what the LDV trophy is. Why not rename the CR cup a the CR third tier cup or similar.

99% of GAA folk couldn't put Liam, Joe, Christy and Nicky in the correct order, so how are the floating punter meant to?

johnnycool

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 18, 2021, 08:21:12 PM

Image trying to commemorate sporting greats for posterity by naming a competition after them... Madness I know.

Maybe someone in years to come will ask who was Christy Ring or Nicky Rackard and be told exactly who they were.

Buy at least you know immediately what the LDV trophy is. Why not rename the CR cup a the CR third tier cup or similar.

99% of GAA folk couldn't put Liam, Joe, Christy and Nicky in the correct order, so how are the floating punter meant to?

You forgot about Lory ya philistine ye..

I see where you're coming from as per the floating punter but any of the counties competing in them know only too well the steps of progression..

but for the ignorant on here I'll put them in terms of English Soccer.

Premiership           - Liam McCarthy
Sky Championship - Joe McDonagh
Sky Div1               - Christy Ring
Sky Div2               - Nicky Rackard
National League     - Lory Meagher

Farrandeelin

Quote from: johnnycool on July 19, 2021, 09:50:01 AM

I see where you're coming from as per the floating punter but any of the counties competing in them know only too well the steps of progression..

It's alright knowing the levels, but Donegal won the Rackard last year, their reward - Rackard again. Hardly much progress up the ranks.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AnGaelGearmanach

Fair play to you johnny cool on using google to double check that before you posted it :o

Baile Brigín 2

There you go.

I guarantee the overwhelming majority of GAA fans in Donegsl or Louth have no idea who he was or that the 5th tier cup is named after him.

The naming convention needs to be added too, not replaced. The Liam McCarthy All Ireland down to the Lory Meagher thanks for showing up so you can get a grant cup.

johnnycool

Quote from: AnGaelGearmanach on July 19, 2021, 10:02:18 AM

Fair play to you johnny cool on using google to double check that before you posted it :o

Ha Ha, used google for the soccer which I wasn't sure of but no doubt all Accrington Stanley fans would have known that like I know all the hurling ones as will all Donegal or Louth hurling followers.

Not sure why Donegal on winning the Nicky Rackard weren't promoted to the Christy Ring, unless there was some sort of evening up of the numbers per group as the Joe McDonagh is only a year or two old and was squeezed in between the Liam McCarthy and the Christy Ring.