Badger Baiting

Started by smelmoth, May 21, 2021, 09:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Something from a bygone era. In 50 years we'll be saying the same about Greyhound and Horse racing.

bennydorano

Quote from: RedHand88 on May 21, 2021, 01:33:36 PM
An exs father was at it. Might have been foxes instead of badgers but it involved putting big lamps ontop of a jeep and driving round a field at night. I could never get my head around it or where the sport in it was. She thought nothing of it which was worse.
Known as Lamping (funny enough), think it is all for Hares & Rabbits.

Can clearly recall badger baiting where I grew up and a lot of general hunting with dogs, we were very outdoorsy - the working class version.

north_antrim_hound

Yes it's known as lamping round here to, badger baiting is another pass time done around the same unsocial hours but in a pub or a nightclub.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

An Watcher

Would have done a bit of lamping for rabbits back in the day. Seen an odd badger or fox but stayed clear

smelmoth

Quote from: An Watcher on May 21, 2021, 06:52:29 PM
Would have done a bit of lamping for rabbits back in the day. Seen an odd badger or fox but stayed clear

Lamping rabbits? What was going through your mind? Anything?

michaelg

Quote from: smelmoth on May 21, 2021, 09:55:27 PM

Banjo music probably.

StPatsAbu

Badger baiting involves digging a badger out of its set, breaking its back with a spade so it can't run away, then putting one or 2 dogs on it. With a broken spine the badger only has use of its front claws meaning only the dog has a chance of surviving, typically with horrific facial and upper body injuries. I'd worry for the wives and kids of men who do this stuff. Strangely the vast majority of them support clubs with a history of violence like Rangers, Millwall, Chelsea, Liverpool etc. There seems to be a connection between animal blood sports and football hooliganism for sure.

RedHand88

Quote from: smelmoth on May 21, 2021, 09:55:27 PM

Dinner.

ONeill

Don't agree with it atall.

But is it any worse than you sitting at your kitchen table sticking a cow or a chicken between a bap and devouring it?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

An Watcher

At least the rabbit has a chance of getting away, the cow or chicken don't

ONeill

Good point, well made.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: ONeill on May 21, 2021, 11:30:43 PM

But is it any worse than you sitting at your kitchen table sticking a cow or a chicken between a bap and devouring it?

Don't cows get a bolt through the head and an instant death?

smelmoth

Quote from: ONeill on May 21, 2021, 11:30:43 PM

I don't think people want to think about what goes on in an abattoir but they would have a fair idea all the same.

If they were to be informed that the cow/lamb/chicken/pig had its back broken and left alive to fight a pair of angry dogs they might make a different decision about what to eat

J70

Quote from: StPatsAbu on May 21, 2021, 11:00:40 PM
Badger baiting involves digging a badger out of its set, breaking its back with a spade so it can't run away, then putting one or 2 dogs on it. With a broken spine the badger only has use of its front claws meaning only the dog has a chance of surviving, typically with horrific facial and upper body injuries. I'd worry for the wives and kids of men who do this stuff. Strangely the vast majority of them support clubs with a history of violence like Rangers, Millwall, Chelsea, Liverpool etc. There seems to be a connection between animal blood sports and football hooliganism for sure.

For five seconds I thought I was reading a mature, sensible contribution on a serious topic from you. I was surprised.

But, being a moronic gobshite, I guess you're just incapable of posting something worthy of respect.

oakleaflad

Family have a farm, never been involved in lamping but I understand why farmers would do it when the foxes start lifting lambs. Locally there used to be a fella who basically did the farmers job for them. Not sure if still in action.