Electric Cars. Real aternative or ego boosters?

Started by Denn Forever, September 02, 2019, 02:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: seafoid on February 15, 2024, 11:23:16 AMThe growth rate of EVs has slowed down but how many cars need to have their battery replaced ? Engine trouble on petrol/diesel cars is also ruinous.

Parts an issue. Even cars under warranty lots of manufactures have discontinued parts and replacing them is impossible. These cars are a fad and like I originally said avoid at all costs.

I'll embrace the green revolution when they ban private jets and invest in quality public transport. And don't get me started on paper straws ffs!

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on February 15, 2024, 11:31:19 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 15, 2024, 11:23:16 AMThe growth rate of EVs has slowed down but how many cars need to have their battery replaced ? Engine trouble on petrol/diesel cars is also ruinous.

Parts an issue. Even cars under warranty lots of manufactures have discontinued parts and replacing them is impossible. These cars are a fad and like I originally said avoid at all costs.

I'll embrace the green revolution when they ban private jets and invest in quality public transport. And don't get me started on paper straws ffs!
They are not a fad. Climate change is already happening. Petrol and diesel prices are linked to fossil fuel price volatility as well. A proper assessment of advantages and disadvantages would have to include everything, not just selected anecdotes.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

laceer

Are hybrids a decent alternative in terms of fuel efficiency? Or do they have similar difficulties with repair?

markl121

Quote from: laceer on February 15, 2024, 11:44:18 AMAre hybrids a decent alternative in terms of fuel efficiency? Or do they have similar difficulties with repair?
My da and brother have hybrids. What they seem to offer to diesel fuel economy from a petrol engine.

Captain Scarlet

Just to jump on here as I work in D4 and this week the roads around are nice and quiet as the schools are off. Come next week the X5, X7s and other monster truck EVs will be back out dropping the one kid to school in a place where they are really well served with public transport and bike lanes.

They need to stop subsidising rich people buying massive SUVs and put money into public transport.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

snoopdog

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on February 15, 2024, 01:46:44 PMJust to jump on here as I work in D4 and this week the roads around are nice and quiet as the schools are off. Come next week the X5, X7s and other monster truck EVs will be back out dropping the one kid to school in a place where they are really well served with public transport and bike lanes.

They need to stop subsidising rich people buying massive SUVs and put money into public transport.

Banning SUVs and anything over a 2 litre engine might be a good start.

seafoid

Quote from: markl121 on February 15, 2024, 12:06:00 PM
Quote from: laceer on February 15, 2024, 11:44:18 AMAre hybrids a decent alternative in terms of fuel efficiency? Or do they have similar difficulties with repair?
My da and brother have hybrids. What they seem to offer to diesel fuel economy from a petrol engine.
My Dad has a hybrid. I think it's 5 litres per 100km.

toby47

Quote from: seafoid on February 15, 2024, 02:35:39 PM

What model of car?

seafoid

Quote from: toby47 on February 15, 2024, 03:36:20 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 15, 2024, 02:35:39 PM

What model of car?
Toyota Corolla hybrid.

We had a diesel Audi which we bought secondhand and it ran very well until one day about 2 years in when there was a sign telling us to bring it to the garage. So we did. and it never came out of the garage. The mechanics coudn't tell us what the problem was and it wasn't worth the cost of labour to find out what the problem was but the engine was banjaxed.

So we decided to get an electric car. And I agree about hire purchase. Batteries are improving all the time so in a few years we will get a new car on HP with better range. 

Itchy

I have a hybrid, its a waste of time. I dont bother charge it half the time. You are not achieving anything with them bar getting cheap motor tax. Go electric or stay with Diesel. 

theskull1

Harry Metcalfe is a 30+ years impartial motoring journalist (so not a modern day clickbait youtuber). He's recently posted this video discussing the topic.

Why I've gone back to driving a diesel after 2 years with an EV and then 2.5 years driving a PHEV as our family car. What needs to change to get me to go back to EV?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Sportacus

Good video.  If you're on a company car scheme, have a driveway charger and typically do less than 150 miles each day then they are a great option.

I wouldn't buy one private, too many unknowns and the unknowns seem to be getting more uncertain.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: theskull1 on February 15, 2024, 04:51:27 PMHarry Metcalfe is a 30+ years impartial motoring journalist (so not a modern day clickbait youtuber). He's recently posted this video discussing the topic.

Why I've gone back to driving a diesel after 2 years with an EV and then 2.5 years driving a PHEV as our family car. What needs to change to get me to go back to EV?

Good video. Harry is well worth listening to.