Any solicitors??

Started by RedHand88, December 09, 2020, 03:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Hi folks, any solicitors in the forum or anyone legal minded able to offer advice?

My wedding reception was unable to happen last month because of restrictions in the north. One of the vendors, who supply lights, backdrop etc, are not playing ball with the refund, they say they will only refund 50% of the total £1300 as a "gesture of good will". They say the other 50% covers "admin costs associated with initial booking".

Have I a case here for the small claims court? Consumer council informed me that when theres a government act that prohibits weddings that I am entitled to everything back, bar any unavoidable costs on their end (eg having to preorder food). I dont feel they have had to do anything like this.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

screenexile

Brolly bound to be knocking about this board somewhere!

skeog

Fergal is your man DRA never liked when he was other side of table.

armaghniac

I remember when I first went to the California there was a sign at LAX "No solicitors", it put the holiday off to a good start.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

TabClear

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 09, 2020, 03:56:50 PM
Hi folks, any solicitors in the forum or anyone legal minded able to offer advice?

My wedding reception was unable to happen last month because of restrictions in the north. One of the vendors, who supply lights, backdrop etc, are not playing ball with the refund, they say they will only refund 50% of the total £1300 as a "gesture of good will". They say the other 50% covers "admin costs associated with initial booking".

Have I a case here for the small claims court? Consumer council informed me that when theres a government act that prohibits weddings that I am entitled to everything back, bar any unavoidable costs on their end (eg having to preorder food). I dont feel they have had to do anything like this.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks

Threat of name and shame on public forums might be a quicker tactic in the current time. I have every sympathy for vendors who genuinely have irrecoverable costs but its not up to the consumer to fund their loss of profit. Over £600 for admin costs is a piss take

People will be taking much more notice of refund policy when booking in future and a poor record on this would be a major black mark

brokencrossbar1

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks

Check the T&Cs. The reality is that taking this to small claims court could be throwing good money after bad. It will cost you the fee for lodging it, £100, then it will be a day out of your life to attend court. If you don't settle it and get a judgement in your favour, which is not a guarantee, then you have to enforce it if they don't pay it. You're talking 12 months chasing a few hundred quid. Get what you can out of them, bad mouth them to whoever you can and move on

Taylor

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 09, 2020, 06:42:24 PM

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks

Check the T&Cs. The reality is that taking this to small claims court could be throwing good money after bad. It will cost you the fee for lodging it, £100, then it will be a day out of your life to attend court. If you don't settle it and get a judgement in your favour, which is not a guarantee, then you have to enforce it if they don't pay it. You're talking 12 months chasing a few hundred quid. Get what you can out of them, bad mouth them to whoever you can and move on

I think this is key.

While social media is a nightmare it is important that other potential customers know what they are getting themselves in for if they book with this company.

Explain to them that you are not happy, they have not been reasonable inflating the costs etc etc and that if they do not be realistic in what they refund you then you will go to social media.

If they do not play ball then go to all forms of social media you are on and tag them in exactly what happened (include their responses which should show they are unreasonable).

Dont exaggerate or tell lies just to make it seem worse.

This way you have given them due warning and then go to town on them with the facts of the case all over social media.

There is such thing as bad publicity for a proper business

RedHand88

Update

I told them I would be going to the small claims court and  that we knew people in the wedding business and all of a sudden the admin cost wasn't £600+  ::)

Thanks folks!

Main Street

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 12, 2020, 09:44:37 AM
Update

I told them I would be going to the small claims court and  that we knew people in the wedding business and all of a sudden the admin cost wasn't £600+  ::)

Thanks folks!
Well done, did you phone them up and add that menacing Tyrone accent into the persuasion process?

RedHand88

Quote from: Main Street on December 12, 2020, 07:29:17 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on December 12, 2020, 09:44:37 AM
Update

Thanks folks!
Well done, did you phone them up and add that menacing Tyrone accent into the persuasion process?

I told them if they didn't refund me, Horse Devlin would be paying a visit.

Emmett

Hi folks.

Wonder can someone on here offer me some advice?

I am employed full time in Lisburn and have recently started my own business on the side. This will completely be weekend work and will not interfere in any way with my main Monday - Friday job. There is no conflict of interest there either in terms of the nature of the job.

Today I have received a letter inviting me to an investigation meeting addressing allegations of gross misconduct due to carrying out other business without the company's consent. There is a conflict of interest section in my contract where this is mentioned but TBH I did not even consider this as my business will not have any effect on my main job. Perhaps very green/silly of me I know.

Aside from this my department has lost 4 colleagues in the past 2 years and only 1 has been replaced. There are now 4 of us carrying out the work of 6/7 people. I voiced my concerns about this last week. During my latest colleague's exit interview the HR Manager asked him if I was really as busy as I said I was and if I was under as much pressure as I claimed. Surely this is not allowed?

My boss who is a rude and difficult man told a colleague to refuse to take on extra work and to pass the customers on to me as "it will get him out of bed in the morning!!". A completely ridiculous and unfounded statement/claim!

I am now concerned I will be sacked next week.

Please advise  :(

trailer

Quote from: Emmett on June 18, 2021, 12:31:20 PM
Hi folks.

I am employed full time in Lisburn and have recently started my own business on the side. This will completely be weekend work and will not interfere in any way with my main Monday - Friday job. There is no conflict of interest there either in terms of the nature of the job.

Today I have received a letter inviting me to an investigation meeting addressing allegations of gross misconduct due to carrying out other business without the company's consent. There is a conflict of interest section in my contract where this is mentioned but TBH I did not even consider this as my business will not have any effect on my main job. Perhaps very green/silly of me I know.

Aside from this my department has lost 4 colleagues in the past 2 years and only 1 has been replaced. There are now 4 of us carrying out the work of 6/7 people. I voiced my concerns about this last week. During my latest colleague's exit interview the HR Manager asked him if I was really as busy as I said I was and if I was under as much pressure as I claimed. Surely this is not allowed?

My boss who is a rude and difficult man told a colleague to refuse to take on extra work and to pass the customers on to me as "it will get him out of bed in the morning!!". A completely ridiculous and unfounded statement/claim!

Get a solicitor.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on June 18, 2021, 01:09:10 PM
Hi folks.

Get a solicitor.

Is there a company rep that will go in with you for this?

Looks like they are itching to get rid, have found a loop hole with the 'other business'

They sound like a lovely bunch to work for :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Emmett

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 18, 2021, 01:17:38 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 18, 2021, 01:09:10 PM
Hi folks.

Get a solicitor.

Is there a company rep that will go in with you for this?

Looks like they are itching to get rid, have found a loop hole with the 'other business'

They sound like a lovely bunch to work for :o

Thanks MR.

I will bring a trusted colleague with me for the meeting.

Yes it really does seem like that. Why I do not know. I keep my head down and have not given them any issues until I calmly voiced my concerns last week