Started by Hound, November 24, 2020, 08:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

History:

1891 Semi Dublin 3-7 Cavan 0-3
1920 Semi Dublin 3-6 Cavan 1-3
1924 Semi Dublin 0-6 Cavan 1-1
1942 Semi Dublin 1-6 Cavan 1-3

(I think that's all our championship meetings, unless I'm forgetting something from the early years of the backdoor.)

Some talk gathering of Cavan asking this to be moved out of Croke Park. Certainly if Cavan don't want to play in Croker, and there's no 80,000 crowd to be let down (and money foregone), there doesn't seem to be any good reason to host it in Croker. Just need a ground with floodlights, reasonable surface and TV facilities. Plenty of options I'd imagine.

Jeepers Creepers

Armagh18

seafoid

Dublin are 1/100.

Well done GAA. Financial doping does what it says on the tin.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

For me, I want Cavan to give this game a right rattle and not to treat it as a day out. To do that I would love to see the game in a provincial venue. Dublin have enough advantages and have a superb team. Now Mickey and the players might think differently and I suppose it is their call but thats what I would do. Get it to Armagh I say.

mrdeeds

I actually think it should be moved so other county boards can get the hosting fee on offer. Armagh got a decent amount of money for hosting Ulster final.

Armagh18

Quote from: Itchy on November 24, 2020, 11:04:02 AM
For me, I want Cavan to give this game a right rattle and not to treat it as a day out. To do that I would love to see the game in a provincial venue. Dublin have enough advantages and have a superb team. Now Mickey and the players might think differently and I suppose it is their call but thats what I would do. Get it to Armagh I say.
Very few expected them to get anywhere near Donegal and they managed it with 14 men for 20 mins. If they bring the same attitude against the Dubs and maybe nick a goal or two early on it'll be interesting. Huge underdogs of course.

Hound

Wobbler put some interesting reasons on another thread as to why the All Ireland Semi Final should stay in Croke Park

Quote from: thewobbler on November 22, 2020, 06:23:07 PM
The reason for it is that it will look better on TV. It has better lightning, better camera angles, and a better surface than anywhere else.

Croke Park has innumerable fixed cameras, overhead cameras and Hawkeye.

It will provide a better visual experience for the tv viewer.

It's hard to argue with that reasoning.

They are all good and reasonable points, and it is a showpiece occasion so those points matter. However, I think in the circumstances of this crazy year the downsides of moving somewhere else are outweighed by the positives.

A friend of mine told me Mickey Graham has called for it to be moved. Not sure if that is true as on rte all they mention is Seanie Johnston calling for it! If Cavan want it in Croke Park, then I think that should be the end of it, but if they don't it's a great opportunity to move it. And Breffni shouldn't be off the list as an alternative candidate (unless there's a good reason for it).

Itchy

Quote from: Hound on November 24, 2020, 11:13:51 AM
Wobbler put some interesting reasons on another thread as to why the All Ireland Semi Final should stay in Croke Park

Quote from: thewobbler on November 22, 2020, 06:23:07 PM
The reason for it is that it will look better on TV. It has better lightning, better camera angles, and a better surface than anywhere else.

Croke Park has innumerable fixed cameras, overhead cameras and Hawkeye.

It will provide a better visual experience for the tv viewer.

It's hard to argue with that reasoning.

They are all good and reasonable points, and it is a showpiece occasion so those points matter. However, I think in the circumstances of this crazy year the downsides of moving somewhere else are outweighed by the positives.

A friend of mine told me Mickey Graham has called for it to be moved. Not sure if that is true as on rte all they mention is Seanie Johnston calling for it! If Cavan want it in Croke Park, then I think that should be the end of it, but if they don't it's a great opportunity to move it. And Breffni shouldn't be off the list as an alternative candidate (unless there's a good reason for it).

It seems yesterday Seanie reinvented himself as Cavans No 1 fan. When I think of what that man put the same loyal fans (you know the ones you are seeing crying on whatsapp videos) through it almost makes me mad. But to be honest I nearly feel sorry for him these days, he has paid a heavy price and I know a lot of people who are delighted these boys won without the likes of him.

Here is an omen about Breffni park as a venue. In 1933 Kerry were on for 5 in a row and met Cavan in the semi final. Cavan had never won sam at that time. The game was fixed for Breffni and what was probably the biggest shock in GAA history up to that point Cavan beat Kerry and went onto win theirs (and ulsters) first All Ireland.

clarshack

would be great to see this game in Armagh. No reason why it can't be.

BennyCake

Quote from: clarshack on November 24, 2020, 11:28:43 AM
would be great to see this game in Armagh. No reason why it can't be.

The  FIFA GAA suits won't have it.

Eire90

should be neutral province so game should be played in castlebar maybe

Itchy

Quote from: Eire90 on November 24, 2020, 11:42:30 AM
should be neutral province so game should be played in castlebar maybe

Would you not stop at the Hyde on the way instead?