Premier League 20/21

Started by Hereiam, August 05, 2020, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Mourinho has to be respected for what he achieved at Porto and Chelsea.

But after that it has been a shitshow at club after club

Armamike

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 09, 2021, 08:27:10 PM
Rodgers in fairness to him has his Leicester in a better position than Liverpool and they are difficult to beat.

Rodgers lost some limelight when he played away from home  ;)

At this very moment in time yes.  I was referring more to where he was at in his managerial career during his Liverpool spell.  He is a good coach/manager and no doubt has learnt a lot since then.
That's just, like your opinion man.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Taylor on February 10, 2021, 11:56:50 AM

I guess it's his general behaviour more than anything. He definitely at one stage knew how to get results though I do think he's a busted flush as he turns on his players when things aren't going well and they in turn turn on him.

trailer

A yesterdays man. When he burst on the scene the confidence the football even as a Utd fan you had to respect that. But the football got worse and his confidence didn't translate into winning football matches. He seemed to alienate players time and again. He will ruin Spurs.

shark

Was hardly a shitshow at Inter?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 10, 2021, 10:00:50 AM
Pep is a fraud?

Goodness me. A new low for this thread.

Like him or not, you must respect what he's done for the game and how he done it. Yes he can be somewhat unlikeable...but fraud? No.

Yes he inherited some players, but they are not the players we know now. Then. He bombed out Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Ibrahimovic and created a dynasty.

One poster called him a fraud.

Didn't Pep buy Zlatan in the first place?

He's a top manager but never had to work in difficult circumstances like Klopp has had too.

trailer

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 10, 2021, 01:16:21 PM
Pep is a fraud?

Like him or not, you must respect what he's done for the game and how he done it. Yes he can be somewhat unlikeable...but fraud? No.

Yes he inherited some players, but they are not the players we know now. Then. He bombed out Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Ibrahimovic and created a dynasty.

He's a top manager but never had to work in difficult circumstances like Klopp has had too.

Klopp got it handy enough in fairness. The Firmino sale got them VVD. They bought players. He hasn't taken Fleetwood from the 4th tier to Champions League in Football Manager.

GiveItToTheShooters

Pep is a fraud?

Quote from: Taylor on February 10, 2021, 10:04:53 AM
He is far from a fraud.

Just look at Sterling & KDB and how they he has improved working under Pep.

How he did it? What by managing only the best and richest teams in each country he has been? Big Sam would win the league with those Barça and Bayern teams ffs. Then coming into an already top Man City team and spending the guts of a billion quid and every one thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread. Where was his CL for Bayern? Where is his CL for City? A fraud of a manager that can't be compared to Klopp. Klopp came into sleeping giant clubs and brought them back to the top with a limited budget. Pep comes into top clubs with blank chequebooks. Maybe he should go to a Valencia or an AC Milan now and prove himself, and win a Champions League and league with that level of club, and then we'll talk.

J70

Quote from: trailer on February 10, 2021, 01:19:48 PM
Pep is a fraud?

Klopp got it handy enough in fairness. The Firmino sale got them VVD. They bought players. He hasn't taken Fleetwood from the 4th tier to Champions League in Football Manager.

Plenty of other Liverpool managers (and managers of other clubs) have spent big and brought in top players, yet failed to win, or come close to winning, either of the big two trophies.

But yeah, Pep certainly isn't a fraud either.

trailer

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on February 10, 2021, 01:25:34 PM
Pep is a fraud?

He is far from a fraud.

How he did it? What by managing only the best and richest teams in each country he has been? Big Sam would win the league with those Barça and Bayern teams ffs. Then coming into an already top Man City team and spending the guts of a billion quid and every one thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread. Where was his CL for Bayern? Where is his CL for City? A fraud of a manager that can't be compared to Klopp. Klopp came into sleeping giant clubs and brought them back to the top with a limited budget. Pep comes into top clubs with blank chequebooks. Maybe he should go to a Valencia or an AC Milan now and prove himself, and win a Champions League and league with that level of club, and then we'll talk.

He made VVD the most expensive defender in the world. He spent money. They all do. Some spend more than others but this notion that it a few loans, a couple of youth players a bit savy in the transfer market is nonsense. They all buy players, some work out better than others that's the reality.
But I do agree that Pep is a money manager. Not sure I'd call him a fraud.

In order to win you need to spend and spend big. Simples.

Louther

See that Klopps mother died in Germany in January and was buried yesterday. With covid restrictions in Germany he wasn't allowed travel for funeral or prior to death.

A tough situation as he clearly an emotional person.

trailer

Quote from: J70 on February 10, 2021, 01:41:30 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 10, 2021, 01:19:48 PM
Pep is a fraud?

Plenty of other Liverpool managers (and managers of other clubs) have spent big and brought in top players, yet failed to win, or come close to winning, either of the big two trophies.

But yeah, Pep certainly isn't a fraud either.

Totally. Some managers spend a fortune for nothing look at UTD with LVG. Complete disaster. JM at UTD was the same. Bought a load and then refused to play them the narcissist. Klopp definitely has got the best out this group at Liverpool and that's to be commended but all clubs spend money and lots of it. Klopp spend £70m on a keeper. 80m on a defender. These aren't inconsequential fees.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: trailer on February 10, 2021, 01:44:00 PM
Pep is a fraud?

He is far from a fraud.

He made VVD the most expensive defender in the world. He spent money. They all do. Some spend more than others but this notion that it a few loans, a couple of youth players a bit savy in the transfer market is nonsense. They all buy players, some work out better than others that's the reality.
But I do agree that Pep is a money manager. Not sure I'd call him a fraud.

In order to win you need to spend and spend big. Simples.
This is where your point isn't consistent, VVD and Alisson were both signed with the Coutinho money. Liverpool's net spend since Klopp has been in is just over 100m. Man City's net spend is almost 700m. So he has absolutely been savvy in the transfer market. Jurgen has done what he has done at Liverpool on 100m net spend and had to sell in order to buy, whereas pep has blank cheques and can afford to blow 400m on defenders. There is no comparison. 

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Louther on February 10, 2021, 01:46:32 PM
See that Klopps mother died in Germany in January and was buried yesterday. With covid restrictions in Germany he wasn't allowed travel for funeral or prior to death.

A tough situation as he clearly an emotional person.
Didn't know she passed in January, thought it was today when the news broke. He's been going through a tough period on and off the pitch but never even mentioned what was going on at home. A selfless man, we're lucky to have him. Disgrace that he couldn't go home.

GetOverTheBar

Pep is a fraud?

He is far from a fraud.

The great thing about the CL is that you cannot buy it. Despite what people may say.....money doesn't equate to success in Europe. Look at Manchester United - 3 European Wins in their history, probably the richest club in the world? Certainly up there.

By your reasoning then, Roberto Di Matteo and Klopp must be relative equals with one Champs League win each? They are clearly in different stratospheres as managers. The point is, Europe is the peak of the peak. I hold it over the World Cup. Only one team can win it, is it always the best team in Europe wins the UCL? Definitely not. But that's what makes it so attractive. It makes so many brilliant stories.

You obviously have a problem with Guardiola, presumably either a Liverpool or Utd fan - I tend to see this a lot from both. I don't know why people can't give out a bit of praise instead of these twitter like look at me replies.

If you don't rate Pep as a manager fine, but to say he's only achieved what he has because of money is just wrong. No amount of money can get a team playing like he had Barca at their pomp - the proof is literally in the pudding, because all the world tried to copy it for the 5 or so years after that until Bayern came along with Jupp Heynckes and probably became for me, the best team to ever win the UCL. They were awesome that year.

You know when you've done what he did in the game at Barca only the best jobs will be available. How likely is it he's going to go to Valencia? Hugely unlikely. That's just the cycle of the game, he climbed the mountain - his reputation in football is already forever. So I doubt he'll do as you ask, but that won't change a thing on how history looks back on his career.