Memories/stories of Jack Charlton and of his time as Ireland manager

Started by BennyCake, July 14, 2020, 08:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Been listening to lots of stories of Jack the man, and of the many stories of his time over the Irish team.

You have to admit he had a massive impact in Ireland during his time in charge.

Anyone got any good stories or memories of following the team, or the man himself?

trailer

He came into our local pub and bought a big round of drink for everyone. Paid with a cheque that the Publican never cashed it, he framed it.

Boycey

Ah the famous cheque story... Not that I'm doubting ur version but its been told that many times there must be a cheque in every pub in country..

One I liked that I read over last week was about him and Cas walking around Giants stadium before Ireland/Italy game at World Cup 94 and it was a sea of green. As they got to the end he looked at Cas and said "f**k me Tony you're the only Italian here"

I reckon half the story's have been exaggerated for after dinner speaking purposes but there's no doubt he was a character

trailer

Quote from: Boycey on July 14, 2020, 10:30:58 PM
Ah the famous cheque story... Not that I'm doubting ur version but its been told that many times there must be a cheque in every pub in country..

One I liked that I read over last week was about him and Cas walking around Giants stadium before Ireland/Italy game at World Cup 94 and it was a sea of green. As they got to the end he looked at Cas and said "f**k me Tony you're the only Italian here"

I reckon half the story's have been exaggerated for after dinner speaking purposes but there's no doubt he was a character

;D
I've probably heard it about 100 times

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on July 14, 2020, 10:15:52 PM
He came into our local pub and bought a big round of drink for everyone. Paid with a cheque that the Publican never cashed it, he framed it.

Can you do us a favour and take a picture of it? Or any cheque he wrote?

He was very irritated by this story.

trailer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 15, 2020, 12:22:03 AM
Quote from: trailer on July 14, 2020, 10:15:52 PM

Can you do us a favour and take a picture of it? Or any cheque he wrote?

He was very irritated by this story.

I'd love to, but of course since it's a completely made up story it's proving difficult.

Denn Forever

What I remember most was the pundits giving out about the system of play but as a GAA man not understanding why they were giving out.  We were getting the job done.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Taylor

A national icon.

However given the players at his disposal should we have achieved more or at least achieved it with a more enjoyable brand?

Compare that to what we have now - at least now we have a reason to play shite ball given the personnel

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Taylor on July 15, 2020, 11:24:41 AM
A national icon.

However given the players at his disposal should we have achieved more or at least achieved it with a more enjoyable brand?

Compare that to what we have now - at least now we have a reason to play shite ball given the personnel

I think there was method to the madness. He spoke of seeing the 86 WC with every team doing the same thing and created a system to stop them playing. Brady and O'Leary didn't fit that system. Later when they figured us out he adapted it a bit. We certainly played a more technical game in 94 than 88.

It is interesting that put em under pressure is considered caveman when the gegenpress is an innovation. The same tactic from a gruff Yorkshire man and a slick German sees a totally different reception

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 15, 2020, 11:22:03 AM
What I remember most was the pundits giving out about the system of play but as a GAA man not understanding why they were giving out.  We were getting the job done.

Same argument as the blanket. A legitimate tactic, but sending a team out to primarily stop the opposition isn't great tv.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 15, 2020, 11:38:21 AM
A national icon.

I think there was method to the madness. He spoke of seeing the 86 WC with every team doing the same thing and created a system to stop them playing. Brady and O'Leary didn't fit that system. Later when they figured us out he adapted it a bit. We certainly played a more technical game in 94 than 88.

It is interesting that put em under pressure is considered caveman when the gegenpress is an innovation. The same tactic from a gruff Yorkshire man and a slick German sees a totally different reception

Route one football is the quickest way to goal. Even if your strikers don't win the ball, the opponents defence still has to deal with it under pressure. And when you had Irish players harassing the oppositions defenders, it led to chances. That's why his game plan worked.

Jack's tactics were uncomplicated and straightforward, just like the man himself. That's what I liked about him. What you seen is what you got.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: BennyCake on July 15, 2020, 12:13:42 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 15, 2020, 11:38:21 AM
A national icon.

Route one football is the quickest way to goal. Even if your strikers don't win the ball, the opponents defence still has to deal with it under pressure. And when you had Irish players harassing the oppositions defenders, it led to chances. That's why his game plan worked.

Jack's tactics were uncomplicated and straightforward, just like the man himself. That's what I liked about him. What you seen is what you got.

You have to make a distinction here. There wete two sets of tactics. What we fid with the ball and what we did without. And they were distinct and separate.

With the ball was the controversy. Terrible to watch and we had the players to be better. Without was actually quite detailed and innovative. As I said, Klopp and the Portuguese managers are madter tacticians for the exact same thing.

bannside

I was in Sicily in 1990 and met Ronnie Whelan and Liam Brady - they were with big Jim Neilly from the BBC - in a coastal village called Mondello. Chatted to them for ages. They were both bitterly disappointed not to have been with the official panel, and both said they were entirely match fit so injury or fitness wasnt the reason they were dropped. They told me theh had a few run ins with Jack previous to that because Jack didnt want them playing football around the midfield - he literally wanted that area bypassed altogether.

It had come to a head a few times at players meetings where it was pointed out to Jack that he needed to trust his players more, but Big Jack stubbornly stuck to his guns and by not even including these two on his touring panel laid down a marker to the rest that it was his way or no way.

No one will ever know if Ireland would have achieved more or less with these two on the pitch. At I time I firmly believed they were our only two best truly world class players and neither were on the pitch.(Paul Mc Grath was world class too). The run we got in the competition was terrific - but the football was largely shite. Egypt Holland and Romania were bore fests for most of the game.

magpie seanie

Of the 1990 squad, Kevin Sheedy (1987), Steve Staunton (1990), Ray Houghton (1990), Ronnie Whelan (1990), John Aldridge (1988), David O'Leary (1989) all won English First Division medals around that time (Whelan was in the squad). McGrath arguably better than any of those and several other top flight players. It was a really good squad.

I think in hindsight the criticism of the style of play was a little overstated. Dunphy's outburst during the Egypt game, though mostly valid, was motivated by other things as he subsequently acknowledged. I think we should have been able to adapt a bit once/if we went behind. Not bringing Brady was not right in my opinion but overall he got a lot right.