Author Topic: A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.  (Read 232303 times)

Applesisapples

• View Profile
Re: A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.
« Reply #3405 on: May 04, 2021, 04:11:04 PM »
Latest Lucid Polls in NI putting it 47/53 with don't knows excluded. 50% of U45's in favour. I guess on the face of it there is a direction of travel. I'd be with General Lee when it comes to SF. Whatever you think of the Indo though, few Northern Nationalists would want to see a UI that was going to cost them in the long run. The challenge as I keep pointing out is for those who want a poll now or in 5 years to demonstrate the impact financially. I do believe that in the long term it would be beneficial for all, but for those 55+ the long term is not a consideration. I also believe that given the right context and agreement both Britain and the EU would offer short to medium term funding if it would put to bed the Irish Question, that is another challenge for poll supporters.
The old tight bastards who’ll be dead within a generation or so and who value the queens pound over the reunification of their country shouldn’t be able to ruin it for the rest of us.
That is a disgraceful comment unworthy of anyone who would call themselves a nationalist or republican. Would you rather they lived in cold, poverty and starved to death?

GiveItToTheShooters

• View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: May 04, 2021, 04:15:13 PM »
Latest Lucid Polls in NI putting it 47/53 with don't knows excluded. 50% of U45's in favour. I guess on the face of it there is a direction of travel. I'd be with General Lee when it comes to SF. Whatever you think of the Indo though, few Northern Nationalists would want to see a UI that was going to cost them in the long run. The challenge as I keep pointing out is for those who want a poll now or in 5 years to demonstrate the impact financially. I do believe that in the long term it would be beneficial for all, but for those 55+ the long term is not a consideration. I also believe that given the right context and agreement both Britain and the EU would offer short to medium term funding if it would put to bed the Irish Question, that is another challenge for poll supporters.
The old tight bastards who’ll be dead within a generation or so and who value the queens pound over the reunification of their country shouldn’t be able to ruin it for the rest of us.
That is a disgraceful comment unworthy of anyone who would call themselves a nationalist or republican. Would you rather they lived in cold, poverty and starved to death?
No, but you’re not a “nationalist” if you would vote no because you reckon it might cost you a few quid. You are one of those people.
But what IS a disgraceful comment, is comparing living in a UI with being “cold, living in poverty and starving to death”.

Angelo

• View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: May 04, 2021, 04:24:30 PM »
Anyone who votes against a UI is neither a nationalist or a republican.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

tiempo

• View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: May 04, 2021, 05:11:52 PM »

The thing that strikes me, for all the criticism of SF, there's nothing anyone in SF has ever been accused of that the founding fathers in the Republic weren't also guilty of; and of the possible deterrents to a UI that the Brits haven't inflicted on us in spades for centuries. Anyone from a non-Unionist persuasion living in the north who would consider voting against a UI must be suffering textbook Stockholm syndrome.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: May 04, 2021, 05:33:49 PM »
Nowadays, people will vote with their wallet.

A century ago, a hell of a lot of people were piss poor and living in squalid conditions and voting for Independence would have been a formality, as they’d still be piss poor no matter if they were under a Dublin government or a London government.

Armagh18

• View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: May 04, 2021, 05:40:29 PM »

A century ago, a hell of a lot of people were piss poor and living in squalid conditions and voting for Independence would have been a formality, as they’d still be piss poor no matter if they were under a Dublin government or a London government.
You’ll not be any poorer in a UI than you are now anyway.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: May 04, 2021, 06:26:28 PM »
Very interesting article in the Irish times re the NI deficit of £9.4bn. About £3bn is iro pensions which London has to pay.
Net result is estimated at 2-3 bn in a UI situation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/northern-ireland-s-9-4bn-subvention-and-the-cost-of-irish-unity-1.4553553

Food banks in NI are one very strong argument against the status quo. NI has more economically vulnerable people than the South and in the UK ultra economically vulnerable people get food banks.
Lookit

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: May 05, 2021, 06:54:11 PM »
https://www.ft.com/content/d40a9f1a-fc56-44dd-b4c4-967a6b107ade

By almost every measure, Northern Ireland is starting from a low base. A research paper published by economists at Trinity College Dublin in 2019 charted decades of inadequate spending on education and infrastructure, a failure to attract inward investment, and a largely one-way flow of talent from the region.

The result has been economic underperformance relative to the UK and the Irish Republic for much of Northern Ireland’s first century, despite massive subsidies from the British government and a surge in state jobs in areas such as defence and security.
“I think [Northern Ireland] will probably continue to underperform,” said John FitzGerald, co-author of the Trinity paper and former chief economist at Ireland’s Economic and Social Research Institute, a think-tank.

His and others’ research found that education has been the biggest barrier to Northern Ireland’s prosperity: the result of policies segregating Catholics and Protestants at school along with lower spending, as funding was consumed by defence and housing.
But a senior executive at a large multinational that has spent billions in Ireland, and who could see advantages in Northern Ireland’s post-Brexit status, said the relentless negativity of Stormont messaging surrounding the new trading arrangements was one of the reasons the region was uninvestable.
Lookit

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: May 05, 2021, 07:25:56 PM »

You’ll not be any poorer in a UI than you are now anyway.

You can’t be sure of that.