The US policing crisis thread

Started by Eamonnca1, April 28, 2015, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on June 14, 2015, 06:30:46 PM
QuoteMuppet, You make good points about the system in America and there is no doubt it has its fragmented nature has its failing but the police are only trying to police within that system.

So it begs the question what's the problem? Is it the system? or the police?

I would point at the system.

QuoteOf course, there is a lot of cooperation and coordination between them, but it is horribly sympomatic of politicians trying to keep their little fiefdoms and power.

This is a fair observation of the system. A country's police force has to be entirely separate from the political system. Many politicians can't help themselves and will try to interfere, and that is why the system has to be strong enough to protect against that. This happens everywhere, including and especially in Ireland.

Pretty much agree with everything you said there Muppet (no really) but...(just messin!)

Actually at the risk of getting off topic I would expand it even more and take politicians out of running things directly. They just aren't good at it.....they are good at getting elected but often know nothing about the fields they are running and are subject to short term trends, fashions, and misled public opinion that often aren't beneficial in the long run. I would propose industry experts run things and politicians hold them accountable.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 15, 2015, 04:53:30 AM
I would propose industry experts run things and politicians hold them accountable.

That's pretty much how local government already works in the states. Professional city staff do the technical homework, they produce reports and make their recommendations.

Council meetings are then held in public, city staff are represented by the city manager and city attorney. Elected council members can ask questions of city staff on their recommendations, members of the public can make their comments, and council votes on it.

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 13, 2015, 06:20:55 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on June 12, 2015, 09:18:22 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 12, 2015, 09:15:34 PM
"None of", "your," and "business."

LOL - You mean one where there are Chai Latte's and Couscous ;)
Make sure the nice police officers are keeping an eye out for you.

For the benefit of anyone wondering what Fox is on about, let me recap.

He says that all black people have to do is to stop breaking the law and the law will stop hassling them.

I said that he'd know it's not that simple if he tried to see things from a black person's point of view.

He responded by telling me that if he needs to see things from a black person's perspective, then I should move to Oakland where black people live.

No, it makes no sense to me either.

I do love the fact that you think people here can't read so you have kindly provided a synopsis for them.
It's a fairly inaccurate account with your half truths..but I guess you're trying to save face.

Let me know when you spend your day as a black man in Oakland and report to the board how the experience was. Maybe you can dress up like that Rachel Dolezal to get the authentic feel.
Unless you're all talk and no substance...  :-*
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 15, 2015, 06:34:21 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 15, 2015, 04:53:30 AM
I would propose industry experts run things and politicians hold them accountable.

That's pretty much how local government already works in the states. Professional city staff do the technical homework, they produce reports and make their recommendations.

Council meetings are then held in public, city staff are represented by the city manager and city attorney. Elected council members can ask questions of city staff on their recommendations, members of the public can make their comments, and council votes on it.

Nah Eammon its not. They provide their recommendations based on their professional opinion. However then the politicians get to make the  decision based on whether or not they think this will help or dent their and their party colleagues chances of getting reelected. Its not about what is actually best for the community they are serving is about what is best for the politicians, the only time they are likely to make a decision that would be contrary to the opinion of their electorate is to line their own pockets

Eamonnca1

Good man, Fox. So now you want me to do the blackface thing as well, eh?

Maybe now would be a good time for you to tell us what point you're trying to make, because I'm damned if I know what you're waffling about.

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 16, 2015, 07:09:46 AM
Good man, Fox. So now you want me to do the blackface thing as well, eh?

Maybe now would be a good time for you to tell us what point you're trying to make, because I'm damned if I know what you're waffling about.

You should try reading the thread again including my last post. Instructions were on there.
Don't ask someone to do something if you're not prepared to do it yourself first.....

Eamonnca1

You're talking through your hat. You're telling me I need to go to Oakland, and live there disguised as a black man in order to have empathy for black people.

The fatal hole in that argument is that I need to do no such thing.  I already have said empathy for what they're going through. You clearly don't, as is evidenced by your simplistic "all you have to do is not break the law and you'll be fine" mantra.  If anybody needs to move to Oakland and live there disguised as a black man it's you, because you don't seem to have the empathy and compassion that decent human beings have.

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 17, 2015, 04:48:46 AM
You're talking through your hat. You're telling me I need to go to Oakland, and live there disguised as a black man in order to have empathy for black people.

The fatal hole in that argument is that I need to do no such thing.  I already have said empathy for what they're going through. You clearly don't, as is evidenced by your simplistic "all you have to do is not break the law and you'll be fine" mantra.  If anybody needs to move to Oakland and live there disguised as a black man it's you, because you don't seem to have the empathy and compassion that decent human beings have.

I never said empathy.

Again more twisting and half-truths. People here can read you know.
You mentioned walking in another mans shoes to see how police would treat you if you weren't white. Go for it. Can't wait for the report. What part of Oakland will you be going to or should I mind my own business still?

Eamonnca1

"Walking in another man's shoes" is another way of saying "empathy," Mr Rumsfeld.

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 17, 2015, 06:03:17 AM
"Walking in another man's shoes" is another way of saying "empathy," Mr Rumsfeld.

I wasn't telling you to go blacked-up to a poor Oakland neighbourhood to empathise with the local population.
I was kinda hoping you would go so you'd get your self-righteous ass pistol-whipped  ;D

But you knew not to go already......

foxcommander

Quote from: foxcommander on June 18, 2015, 04:20:33 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 17, 2015, 06:03:17 AM

I wasn't telling you to go blacked-up to a poor Oakland neighbourhood to empathise with the local population.
I was kinda hoping you would go so you'd get your self-righteous ass pistol-whipped  ;D

But you knew not to go already......

Haven't heard from you in a while Eamonn, are you still safe and sound? - you didn't head over from the comfort of those nice SF Bistros and Gastropubs to prove your point did you?

muppet

MWWSI 2017