The US policing crisis thread

Started by Eamonnca1, April 28, 2015, 07:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on April 28, 2015, 06:30:01 PM
Its too late for that now unfortunately.
There is no groups to decommission.
It's real, very real and very scary.

Actually I think I understand you better now on Obama. Rather that it being a politically motivated criticism, you hope it might actually help things, is that right?
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Quote from: muppet on April 28, 2015, 06:31:40 PM

Are you near Baltimore?

I was there a few times. Nice enough in the small centre, I was always told never to walk anywhere else.
I left NJ right after Hurricane Sandy. I've never felt as helpless as a husband and parent. I was down through Baltimore a few times and never really cared for it. NJ was chaos for Sandy.
I relocated to Seattle and live 10 mins from any town. But there was a school shooting in Seattle late last year. There are constant shootings in the City itself all the time.
We're slowly working on a plan to make it back home to Ireland.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

whitey

Are you near Baltimore?

I was there a few times. Nice enough in the small centre, I was always told never to walk anywhere else.

I'm surprised you didn't take a trip down to "The Block".....a must do for all tourists

https://www.baltimorebrew.com/booze_news/prostitution-and-other-allegations-but-no-police-officer-to-testify/

muppet

Quote from: whitey on April 28, 2015, 06:46:37 PM

Are you near Baltimore?

I'm surprised you didn't take a trip down to "The Block".....a must do for all tourists

https://www.baltimorebrew.com/booze_news/prostitution-and-other-allegations-but-no-police-officer-to-testify/

I didn't know that was there! But it was years ago when I was there, it mightn't have existed then.
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on April 28, 2015, 05:05:32 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on April 28, 2015, 04:23:28 PM
Not justifying the riots or violence by any means. Simply sharing some interesting reading on on going and historical police brutality in Baltimore:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/the-brutality-of-police-culture-in-baltimore/391158/?fb_ref=Default

The Mayor should be impeached. And Obama is doing himself no favors - he has yet to condemn the riots and looks like he is quietly stirring up a race war...?

Race war??

Are you fuckin serious?

What the hell is the matter with you?

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

J70

Yes that ship has sailed, long ago.

The problem is that the NRA constituency sees even the most minor nod towards gun control legislation as a sellout and the beginning of Obama coming for their guns and big government repression of citizens. And the fact that politicians and lobbyists hype this all out of proportion for donations doesn't help either, despite the issue being fairly settled, minor controls aside, at this point.

I've no issue with someone owning a gun, but why they need a combat- level armory is nothing but deluded paranoia, similar to much of the right wing discourse.

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on April 28, 2015, 07:16:19 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 28, 2015, 05:05:32 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on April 28, 2015, 04:23:28 PM
Not justifying the riots or violence by any means. Simply sharing some interesting reading on on going and historical police brutality in Baltimore:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/the-brutality-of-police-culture-in-baltimore/391158/?fb_ref=Default

The Mayor should be impeached. And Obama is doing himself no favors - he has yet to condemn the riots and looks like he is quietly stirring up a race war...?

Race war??

Are you fuckin serious?

What the hell is the matter with you?

And that proves what?

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 28, 2015, 07:10:37 AM
Just read an article in the Atlantic about so-called "rough rides." Apparently there's a plethora of nicknames for the practice of cuffing someone, throwing him in the back of a van, not strapping him in, and then driving around like a maniac to rough the victim up. "Bringing him to the front" is the act of sudden braking to slam him against the front panel, also known as a "screen test." In Philly they call them "nickel rides" after amusement park rides. If they've got that many names for it then it's a good bet that it's a fairly common practice.

For all this talk of condemning the rioting in Baltimore, which you have to do, I feel a bit uncomfortable with this American culture of hero worship for anyone in a uniform. If someone serves in the military you have to refer to them as a "hero" and thank him for his service, even if you know nothing about him or what he did when he was on tour. You don't know if he spent his time as a mechanic in the base or shooting up civilians on the street. And I certainly don't get this habit some people have of saying "I support the police." As far as I'm concerned I'll be grateful for when they do a good job the same way I'm grateful to the waitress who gives good service that I'm paying for.

I'd make an exception maybe for the likes of firemen since they're not generally armed and not in much of a position to abuse any power. But this doctrine of porcine infallibility makes me very uncomfortable and it will be America's undoing if they don't do a better job of policing the policemen.

Did the guy arrested look like he couldn't walk before he was put in the van?
Is there any video of him before this to see what happened to him ?

FL/MAYO

Quote from: The Iceman on April 28, 2015, 06:36:47 PM

Are you near Baltimore?

I left NJ right after Hurricane Sandy. I've never felt as helpless as a husband and parent. I was down through Baltimore a few times and never really cared for it. NJ was chaos for Sandy.
I relocated to Seattle and live 10 mins from any town. But there was a school shooting in Seattle late last year. There are constant shootings in the City itself all the time.
We're slowly working on a plan to make it back home to Ireland.

Can't blame you for moving back, there's so many shottings around here these days that it doesn't make the news anymore. I just take it for granted that everyone is carrying a weapon. Its sad when I have to tell my 6 year old to stop playing cops and robbers in the playground because I'm afraid of what might happen.
Cops are generally overly aggressive over here but if you witnessed the crap they put up with you might understand why.

The Iceman

actually planning on Fort Myers in 3 years or so before making the final jump to Ireland. The Mrs has family there and my work is there too so would work out well
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on April 28, 2015, 09:31:51 PM
actually planning on Fort Myers in 3 years or so before making the final jump to Ireland. The Mrs has family there and my work is there too so would work out well

Know the general area well. Should be able to get a very nice house with pool for a fraction of what Seattle or NJ cost. Weather obviously amazing!

FL/MAYO

That's funny, I always thought the Seattle area would be a good spot to move to. I hope to be out of here in 3 years, we're moving back also.

J70

Quote from: FL/MAYO on April 28, 2015, 09:41:26 PM

That's funny, I always thought the Seattle area would be a good spot to move to. I hope to be out of here in 3 years, we're moving back also.

Wouldn't move back if you paid me!

Many more options in the US.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: J70 on April 28, 2015, 09:40:27 PM

Know the general area well. Should be able to get a very nice house with pool for a fraction of what Seattle or NJ cost. Weather obviously amazing!

You should spend a summer here, it's brutal.A typical summers day is like one if those hot and hazy days that you get in NJ during the summer but its everyday for 6 months. But on the plus side you have lower property taxes, no state or local tax and you get a lot more for your money when buying property and of course the winters are beautiful. If you like heat its the place to live.

The Iceman

Quote from: FL/MAYO on April 28, 2015, 09:41:26 PM

I think we'd stay if West Coasters were more like East coasters.... love the area, the outdoor life, the schools are decent, the weather is great but the people would drive you mad with their PC attitude... everything is fine everything is cool.... give me straight talkers any time.

Our move back to Ireland won't be permanent. Get the kids off to Uni and we'll move home base again likely to France. Been on the move now for 10 years and can't see us settling long in one place -the world is too big.

USA is a great place to live for now - but as we get older and the kids get up a bit I think it's not the ideal spot.