snooker world championship

Started by anportmorforjfc, April 09, 2007, 01:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Used to be a fan of Selby and the jester from Leicester was very apt as he seemed good craic, interacted with fans etc. He now resembles Steve Davis of old, no craic, no banter, focus on the game, dull as dishwater.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: An Watcher on May 03, 2021, 05:10:40 PM
Used to be a fan of Selby and the jester from Leicester was very apt as he seemed good craic, interacted with fans etc. He now resembles Steve Davis of old, no craic, no banter, focus on the game, dull as dishwater.
Seen an interview with him and he changed coach a few years ago after a slump in his game. The coach (also Murphy's coach) said all he needed to change about his game was his mental attitude.

armaghniac

Murphy took a chance on the red on the cushion when he should have played a snooker. C'est la vie.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

quit yo jibbajabba

Selby was rattled. 2 badish misses and going safe couple times when pots were on. If Murphy had won that frame things wouldve got v tense. Some difference with the crowd in

Tony Baloney

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 03, 2021, 11:41:33 PM
Selby was rattled. 2 badish misses and going safe couple times when pots were on. If Murphy had won that frame things wouldve got v tense. Some difference with the crowd in
Murphy was playing well but he just fell short in too many frames. To be fair that red was a hard shot in any match and in hindsight safety would have been a better option but he obviously was in a groove.

quit yo jibbajabba

Yeah i suppose he was always gona go out on his shield. Damage was done in the second session yday was always gonna be a tall order after that

Tony Baloney

On a side note I didnt realise until this evening that Selby's missus played pool for Ireland.

quit yo jibbajabba

Very good lol
What with the Murphys living in Ireland now it was practically an All Ireland affair 😃😃

Taylor

Selby must be an absolute nightmare to play against.

Rich Ricci

Quote from: Taylor on May 04, 2021, 08:39:19 AM

When he's at the top of his game he can tie his opponent up in knots. Every time they come to the table they seem to have a problem.

He's great at what he does and is super effective but he can be unbearable to watch too. When he's in on a break he's not too bad but anytime he knows he's going to have to hand the the table back to his opponent he seems too take an unnecessary amount of time as it to make them stew that wee bit longer.

mouview

Quote from: Rich Ricci on May 04, 2021, 08:53:43 AM
Quote from: Taylor on May 04, 2021, 08:39:19 AM

When he's at the top of his game he can tie his opponent up in knots. Every time they come to the table they seem to have a problem.

He's great at what he does and is super effective but he can be unbearable to watch too. When he's in on a break he's not too bad but anytime he knows he's going to have to hand the the table back to his opponent he seems too take an unnecessary amount of time as it to make them stew that wee bit longer.

Watching him play over the 2-day final was like watching prime-Davis. He grinded his opponent down, especially in the Sunday evening session, and as you said, seldom left an easy opener for him. I think Murphy is a more talented player, potting certainly, but was slowly squeezed by the relentless pressure of Selby's safety exchanges. Shame though he missed that last red along the cushion, Selby was starting to have white-line fever at that point.

Taylor

The red to the bottom left that Selby potted was superb - for all his safety play this was probably the shot of the match

Dire Ear

Fair play to Selby,  very professional in his play.
Would it be fair to say that the commentators weren't exactly impartial ie. gunning for Murphy more;  could be my immagination??

Boycey

Eurosport? I actually thought the same watching it last night... I also never realized that there was such a depth of feeling against Selby til this tournament

mouview

Might be more in hoping that the underdog would make a match of it.