Did Brady covered up child abuse?

Started by longrunsthefox, March 14, 2010, 02:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoud Sean Brady be charged and put before the courts?

Yes-he should be charged
69 (68.3%)
No- he should not
32 (31.7%)

Total Members Voted: 101

longrunsthefox

I know there are other threads on this but I think our esteemed spiritual  ::)  leader deserves his own one. As he has obviously not come forward about this right throughout the last 10 or more years of these revelations, should he be  before the court for concealing a crime or whatever the charge is... child rape, molestation, assaults... that sort of thing... 
Ironic/disgusting that  he will spend the next few months going around the parishes giving children their First Communion with this doubt hanging over him...

The Irish Catholic primate, Cardinal Sean Brady, has said he was at meetings when two alleged victims of Fr Brendan Smyth signed an oath of silence.

The complaints of abuse by the two teenagers were investigated by Cardinal Brady in his capacity as secretary to the Bishop of Kilmore in 1975.
Cardinal Brady said he had been following his bishop's orders and there were no guidelines for dealing with such investigations at that time.
Fr Smyth was a notorious child abuser.
He is believed to have abused at least 20 children over a 40 year period and was convicted of more than 90 offences.

A campaigner for victims of clerical child abuse in Ireland, Colm O'Gorman, said Cardinal Brady should resign following the admission that he had represented the church at the meetings.

A statement from Cardinal Brady's office said he had believed the complaints he received and had provided the information he received to his then bishop, Dr Francis McKiernan.
"In 1975, Fr Sean Brady, as he then was, was the part-time secretary to the then Bishop of Kilmore, the late Bishop Francis McKiernan," the statement said.
"At the direction of Bishop McKiernan, Fr Brady attended two meetings: in the Dundalk meeting Fr Brady acted as recording secretary for the process involved and in the Ballyjamesduff meeting he asked the questions and recorded the answers given.
"At those meetings the complainants signed undertakings, on oath, to respect the confidentiality of the information gathering process. As instructed, and as a matter of urgency, Fr Brady passed both reports to Bishop McKiernan for his immediate action."

J70

I'm a bit confused. Did they sign oaths to the effect that they'd never speak of these matters again or that they would not reveal the "information gathering process" i.e. reveal who was involved or that there was a process at all?

As for the lack of guidelines at the time, I find it hard to believe that (even) the Irish state had no laws in effect as to the criminality of child abuse. They could have passed this stuff on to the Gardai like any decent, courageous, moral human beings instead of acting like sociopaths trying to cover their arse. I don't know how these people sleep at night.

longrunsthefox

One hour later...  one comment and one vote... If it was a police officer or someone in Orange Order, DUP or UUP  there would have been loads of votes and comments by now... sad. 

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Take Your Points on March 14, 2010, 04:07:41 PM
Maybe you should let us know what the charge would be?

Perverting the course of justice (by being party to two vunerable children being made to swear not to tell anyone  ie; the police)... aiding and abetting child abuse... withholding information about an offence being committed against two children....  I'm sure there is  a law against this sort of thing  :o

Tubberman

Quote from: J70 on March 14, 2010, 03:36:49 PM
I'm a bit confused. Did they sign oaths to the effect that they'd never speak of these matters again or that they would not reveal the "information gathering process" i.e. reveal who was involved or that there was a process at all?

As for the lack of guidelines at the time, I find it hard to believe that (even) the Irish state had no laws in effect as to the criminality of child abuse. They could have passed this stuff on to the Gardai like any decent, courageous, moral human beings instead of acting like sociopaths trying to cover their arse. I don't know how these people sleep at night.

Yeah, I wasn't too sure about that myself. But even if it was just to keep quiet about the 'information gathering process', that seems to be a whitewash. What ever came from this process??
They never had any intention of allowing Smyth to be prosecuted under the law of the land. And instead he went on to rape more children and ruin more lives.
The Catholic Church in Ireland (and in general) disgusts me more and more with every new revelation. Brady should stand down immediately, but I doubt very much that will happen. Like a Fianna Fáil minister, he'll stand there defiantly and try to ride out the storm.
Two of the big power's since the foundation of the state - hopefully both in rapid terminal decline (at least with their present personalities and structures).
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

The Catholic Church is rotten to the core, it's not the only church rotten. Many others are rotten, corrupt, vengeful or hateful.

Looks like the Pope is in trouble too.

It's about time we removed God from the constitution.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mylestheslasher

To think Cavan GAA let this fella on to meet the players like royalty prior to the championship match in Breffni last year. He is an embarrasment to Cavan people and I hope he pays a price - but no doubt he'll claim it was someone elses fault etc.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 14, 2010, 03:44:38 PM
One hour later...  one comment and one vote... If it was a police officer or someone in Orange Order, DUP or UUP  there would have been loads of votes and comments by now... sad.
Dry up ffs, what do you want people to say?

I dont think anyone's going to be surprised that the church have yet another ****.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 14, 2010, 04:40:41 PM

I dont think anyone's going to be surprised that the church have yet another ****.

Predictable pints   ::)

It was an hour later and loads of posts elsewhere. It is infuriating how these c***ts don't go to court for this and I  thot no-one was going to say anything. However they did and then typically you came in ranting and raving per usual...

J70

In fairness, though I wasn't involved in it, I think this topic has been talked to death on this board at this stage, hence Pints point about the lack of surprise (and thus, presumably, interest) at yet another revelation is probably apt.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 14, 2010, 04:47:07 PM

It was an hour later and loads of posts elsewhere. It is infuriating how these c***ts don't go to court for this and I  thot no-one was going to say anything. However they did and then typically you came in ranting and raving per usual...
I'll ask again, what do you want people to say that they already haven't? What else is there left to say?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 14, 2010, 05:31:19 PM

I'll ask again, what do you want people to say that they already haven't? What else is there left to say?

Like the Bloody Sunday injustice, Robert Hamill etc, it needs to be said and re-said lest these people think they are getting off the hook... This is new about Brady and he is the boss ffs!
As a good friend of mine so rightly says about the catholic church and this abuse issue, 'Don't take your foot off their necks"...   

pintsofguinness

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 14, 2010, 05:59:34 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 14, 2010, 05:31:19 PM

Like the Bloody Sunday injustice, Robert Hamill etc, it needs to be said and re-said lest these people think they are getting off the hook... This is new about Brady and he is the boss ffs!
As a good friend of mine so rightly says about the catholic church and this abuse issue, 'Don't take your foot off their necks"...
and are you surprised? because I'm not, not in the slightest.

There's only so many times people can register their disgust but that doesnt mean they're any less disgusted or angry.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Anyone want to re-establish the Celtic Catholic Church, take in a all the Catholics & High Church of Ireland folk that want to be away from these folk.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Hound

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 14, 2010, 04:14:44 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on March 14, 2010, 04:07:41 PM
Maybe you should let us know what the charge would be?

Perverting the course of justice (by being party to two vunerable children being made to swear not to tell anyone  ie; the police)... aiding and abetting child abuse... withholding information about an offence being committed against two children....  I'm sure there is  a law against this sort of thing  :o
Proving it will be the problem.

Its like the Adams case. Its clear his niece will never forgive Gerry for not intervening, but how can anyone prove that he knew what was going on.