Down v Armagh - Newry - 20 March 2010

Started by Shortso79, February 28, 2010, 12:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUst retired

full back

I had almost forgotten what it was like but ths game really has re-ignited the hatred between the 2 neighbours.

If I am being honest, wee James seems to have them fcukers back on the right track and they seem to have a decent squad.

Armagh are only marginally better than them IMHO and with Clarke missing tonight it is a flick of a coin.

Dubh driocht

Looking forward to tonight
The rivalry is keen-
In 53 we supported them
In 60 they supported us.61, a little less. 68 full on begrudgery.
In 77 we joined together.As usual ,only the premier county brought home the silverware , with POR at CHB and Ambrose senior at CHF
In 83 Ambrose destroyed that hallion Mc Kerr in the league final
In the 90s a sister of a prominent Ourma footballer told me that if Down were playing England, she would support England.So little support in 91 and none in 94.
In 2002, when football began,on the morning of the game I went in to say goodbye to my (then ) 8 year old daughter and told her that we had to support them.She said, and I quote, 'you don't know how hard that is for me'
I was really disappointed that we lost the USF in 2008 after doing the heavy lifting against Tyrone.Liam Doyle had just got injured before they got their goal and should have been off - Ronan Clarke was the difference that day but now we have two wonderful Clarkes  and that will be the difference tonight.

Brick Tamlin

I think a few of us are losing the run of ourselves on here with talking up the teams (especially Down). From a Mourne perspective id be more interested in our own team and how every individual performs, but for me the jury is still out on alot of the team.

I really couldnt give a fiddlers about what team Armagh field, you can be sure whoever it is, they will be extremely well motivated and prepared to sh*t all over Down at every opportunity. Armagh have a new team as such but they still have the winning mentality and attitude from previous years and although they havent the best footballers in the world Down would do well to treat them as a serious step-up from any game they have played this year.

In my opinion the result of this game will tell me alot about where Down are right now in terms of development. Id be expecting a Down win but only just.
Lets all hope a Referee's decision/performance doesnt ruin what could be an excellent game.

Trevor Hill

Quote from: under the bar on March 20, 2010, 12:52:48 AM
QuoteI notice as it gets closer there's less talk from TH and Fearon of a fight. Are they both running scared? I think it's off. If they meet there'll be handshakes and smiles.

I'd be very diappointed if TH doesnt at least physically threaten Fearon with a hotdog before being placated with the offer of a weekend for 2 in the Cosy Corner guest house in Larne that TF won in a some competition in the Newsletter.

Lets just say there have been a couple of approaches from a third party. There has been an offer of a dinner for two in Rices, a years free subscription to the Norn Iron supporters magazine or the lions share of any future win of the Gaelic Life Fantasy Football competition. All have been refused so far, but that weekend in Larne does sound tempting.
I`ve been in contact with Sean og during the week to see if we could arrange something as part of the half time entertainment. Sean og was up for it until he heard Fearons name mentioned. He said the only time he ever saw Fearon anywhere near Greenbank was for a game between Newry Colts and Dungannon Swifts reserves. Fearon was arrested that night for breach of a non molestation order that Harry Fay had taken against him a few years previously. Something to do with IFA/Linfield, Dungannon, Ken Magennis, the Free Masons and the News Letter.

illdecide

The WBA would never allow the fight...it would be like throwing barry McGuigan in with Mike Tyson :D plus Fearon would talk his way out of it anyway :D :D :D

On serious note i put £20 on the draw
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Trevor Hill

Quote from: illdecide on March 20, 2010, 10:59:10 AM
On serious note i put £20 on the draw

If Fearon is very long odds we could arrange for me to go down in the third. Split the winnings?

stiffler

Is it possible to buy a ticket at the ground before the game?  will it be a full house?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Trevor Hill

Quote from: stiffler on March 20, 2010, 11:51:22 AM
Is it possible to buy a ticket at the ground before the game?  will it be a full house?

Contact the Down C.B. on 02843770880 to see if tickets will be on sale at the ground, I doubt it will be a full house but it will be close to it.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Shortso79

Tickets will be on sale at the ground from 5.30pm

rory

Can someone post a link to a video stream if they find one......

Sandy Hill

Don't be mean, go and subscribe to Setanta!
"Stercus accidit"

armaghniac

Grand dry evening. Let battle commence!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mattockranger

Quote from: rory on March 20, 2010, 05:57:29 PM
Can someone post a link to a video stream if they find one......

google  myp2p

then click on live sports

then try other sports and it might be there

tried looking there myself

http://www.myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=315&part=sports&discipline=other

no luck
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital