TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

See there's a Sopranos prequel due out in September- The many saints of Newark. Bonus

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on May 03, 2021, 11:51:38 PM
See there's a Sopranos prequel due out in September- The many saints of Newark. Bonus
Aye T's son in real life is playing his character.

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on May 03, 2021, 02:14:20 PM
I couldn't have 24 at all.

I've very little time for cop shows where the protagonist(s) continually find themselves alone in dark, suspicious places with no phone coverage. I just can't suspend my disbelief for that.

Are you not from Ballyholland?  ;D

tbrick18

I've never watched Sopranos or gomorrah.
Think I've only ever seen series 1&2 of the wire...must pick it up again.

I thought LOD finale was grand....i didn't get all the overall hype in general about LOD. It was good, but not what everyone was raving about.

Just recently started Black Mirror, think i'm somewhere in the middle of series 2.
It is very good.

J70

Good shout on The Wire. I also only watched the first two seasons (the missus wasn't pushed about it, so it doesn't leave me much opportunity!).

I read that season 2 (the Polish dockworkers season) was probably the most poorly rated, and I thought that was excellent. So definitely must try to find some time.

trueblue1234

We are late comers to a lot of these series. But watched the wire from start to finish a few months ago. Thought it was excellent. Wife enjoyed it too.
Plodded through GoT's there on my own and thought it was fantastic up til the end. But I'd already received the heads up on that so expectations were low.
Just started LoD. Still on first series and seems to be good. But can't really avoid all the negative comments about the last episode. So now wondering if I should bother?
Sopranos next on the list.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

gallsman

Quote from: J70 on May 04, 2021, 02:33:51 PM
Good shout on The Wire. I also only watched the first two seasons (the missus wasn't pushed about it, so it doesn't leave me much opportunity!).

Throw her in the bin.

I read that season 2 (the Polish dockworkers season) was probably the most poorly rated, and I thought that was excellent. So definitely must try to find some time.

Season 2 is outstanding and the importance of it and its place in the story only really comes out late in season 4 and then season 5. It was so radically different to season 1 that people thought it was poor in comparison.

johnnycool

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 04, 2021, 02:38:23 PM
We are late comers to a lot of these series. But watched the wire from start to finish a few months ago. Thought it was excellent. Wife enjoyed it too.
Plodded through GoT's there on my own and thought it was fantastic up til the end. But I'd already received the heads up on that so expectations were low.
Just started LoD. Still on first series and seems to be good. But can't really avoid all the negative comments about the last episode. So now wondering if I should bother?
Sopranos next on the list.

LoD I think will go another season. IMO the lad pinned as "H" or the fourth man was taking the fall for the real head honcho in the hope of getting a deal but that was scuppered by AC-12, the bolloxes.

Silver hill

Sopranos for me will be hard to top. The Wire and Breaking bad up there next. Then the newbies, gomarrah, succession and billions.
West wing I binge watched a few months back. Drifted a little in the latter seasons, didn't watch the final season as yet. Will pick it up now.
Six feet under also very decent.
Dexter great for awhile then just got silly.
Ozark was top drawer. Really enjoyed it.

tbrick18

Quote from: Silver hill on May 04, 2021, 05:35:08 PM
Sopranos for me will be hard to top. The Wire and Breaking bad up there next. Then the newbies, gomarrah, succession and billions.
West wing I binge watched a few months back. Drifted a little in the latter seasons, didn't watch the final season as yet. Will pick it up now.
Six feet under also very decent.
Dexter great for awhile then just got silly.
Ozark was top drawer. Really enjoyed it.

Loved breaking bad and Ozark.
Better Call Saul was really good too.

imtommygunn

I enjoyed ozark despite the fact your man Bateman is someone I find very annoying.

I struggled with better call Saul.

nrico2006

Breaking Bad is top of the pile, probably wouldn't have The Wire in my top 5.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

lenny

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 04, 2021, 06:25:17 PM
Breaking Bad is top of the pile, probably wouldn't have The Wire in my top 5.

Total opposite. The Wire I would definitely have at number 1. Breaking bad has to be the most overrated show of all time. The first 2 series were okay but after that it was terrible. There wasn't even one likeable character, hence there was never any tension.

Kidder81

Quote from: gallsman on May 04, 2021, 04:41:50 PM

Throw her in the bin.

Season 2 is outstanding and the importance of it and its place in the story only really comes out late in season 4 and then season 5. It was so radically different to season 1 that people thought it was poor in comparison.

I enjoyed Season 2 but the Ziggy character was so fuckin annoying

PadraicHenryPearse

agree with lenny, BB overrated and the Wire No.1. 

Gomorrah & sopranos next..

the shield, Oz, boardwalk empire and Deadwood i remember enjoying..

entourage, its always sunny and schitts creek a different type of enjoyable.