Author Topic: TV Show recommendations  (Read 788950 times)

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
Re: TV Show recommendations
« Reply #6510 on: May 04, 2021, 04:41:50 PM »
Good shout on The Wire. I also only watched the first two seasons (the missus wasn't pushed about it, so it doesn't leave me much opportunity!).

Throw her in the bin.

I read that season 2 (the Polish dockworkers season) was probably the most poorly rated, and I thought that was excellent. So definitely must try to find some time.

Season 2 is outstanding and the importance of it and its place in the story only really comes out late in season 4 and then season 5. It was so radically different to season 1 that people thought it was poor in comparison.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: May 04, 2021, 04:52:14 PM »
We are late comers to a lot of these series. But watched the wire from start to finish a few months ago. Thought it was excellent. Wife enjoyed it too.
Plodded through GoTís there on my own and thought it was fantastic up til the end. But Iíd already received the heads up on that so expectations were low.
Just started LoD. Still on first series and seems to be good. But canít really avoid all the negative comments about the last episode. So now wondering if I should bother?
Sopranos next on the list.

LoD I think will go another season. IMO the lad pinned as "H" or the fourth man was taking the fall for the real head honcho in the hope of getting a deal but that was scuppered by AC-12, the bolloxes.

Silver hill

• View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: May 04, 2021, 05:35:08 PM »
Sopranos for me will be hard to top. The Wire and Breaking bad up there next. Then the newbies, gomarrah, succession and billions.
West wing I binge watched a few months back. Drifted a little in the latter seasons, didnít watch the final season as yet. Will pick it up now.
Six feet under also very decent.
Dexter great for awhile then just got silly.
Ozark was top drawer. Really enjoyed it.

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: May 04, 2021, 05:53:48 PM »
Sopranos for me will be hard to top. The Wire and Breaking bad up there next. Then the newbies, gomarrah, succession and billions.
West wing I binge watched a few months back. Drifted a little in the latter seasons, didnít watch the final season as yet. Will pick it up now.
Six feet under also very decent.
Dexter great for awhile then just got silly.
Ozark was top drawer. Really enjoyed it.

Loved breaking bad and Ozark.
Better Call Saul was really good too.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: May 04, 2021, 06:23:46 PM »
I enjoyed ozark despite the fact your man Bateman is someone I find very annoying.

I struggled with better call Saul.

nrico2006

• View Profile
« Reply #6515 on: May 04, 2021, 06:25:17 PM »
Breaking Bad is top of the pile, probably wouldn't have The Wire in my top 5.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #6516 on: May 04, 2021, 06:51:54 PM »

Total opposite. The Wire I would definitely have at number 1. Breaking bad has to be the most overrated show of all time. The first 2 series were okay but after that it was terrible. There wasnít even one likeable character, hence there was never any tension.

Kidder81

• View Profile
« Reply #6517 on: May 04, 2021, 07:07:45 PM »
Good shout on The Wire. I also only watched the first two seasons (the missus wasn't pushed about it, so it doesn't leave me much opportunity!).

Throw her in the bin.

I read that season 2 (the Polish dockworkers season) was probably the most poorly rated, and I thought that was excellent. So definitely must try to find some time.

Season 2 is outstanding and the importance of it and its place in the story only really comes out late in season 4 and then season 5. It was so radically different to season 1 that people thought it was poor in comparison.

I enjoyed Season 2 but the Ziggy character was so fuckin annoying

PadraicHenryPearse

• View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: May 04, 2021, 07:13:31 PM »
agree with lenny, BB overrated and the Wire No.1. 

Gomorrah & sopranos next..

the shield, Oz, boardwalk empire and Deadwood i remember enjoying..

entourage, its always sunny and schitts creek a different type of enjoyable.

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #6519 on: May 04, 2021, 08:32:26 PM »

Total opposite. The Wire I would definitely have at number 1. Breaking bad has to be the most overrated show of all time. The first 2 series were okay but after that it was terrible. There wasnít even one likeable character, hence there was never any tension.

Iíve always said that Mike and Gus saved Breaking Bad, and I reckon it peaked in S4 when they were most prominent. All of the original leads were vile or annoying, or vile and annoying. The early series baddies were just too much psychopath, not enough sociopath. I think the show runners understood this too, hence Gus and Mike are so firmly nailed into the BCS patchwork. Lalo in BCS probably trumps them all though. Heís a revolting character but the actor steals every scene heís in

S2 of the Wire is the glue that holds it all together. Like most people I didnít overly enjoy it first time around, but itís my go-to series now. Ziggy doesnít even annoy me anymore on a rewatch. Iíve half a notion that he was put into the show to distract everyone from the litany of new characters and allow their stories to gently develop without audience scorecards influencing the writers to change up. Or maybe Iím such a fanboy that I find new ways to praise the people behind the Wire every time I watch lol.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6520 on: May 04, 2021, 08:51:22 PM »
Queen of the South is a really good show on Netflix
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #6521 on: May 04, 2021, 08:59:48 PM »

Iíve always said that Mike and Gus saved Breaking Bad, and I reckon it peaked in S4 when they were most prominent. All of the original leads were vile or annoying, or vile and annoying. The early series baddies were just too much psychopath, not enough sociopath. I think the show runners understood this too, hence Gus and Mike are so firmly nailed into the BCS patchwork. Lalo in BCS probably trumps them all though. Heís a revolting character but the actor steals every scene heís in

S2 of the Wire is the glue that holds it all together. Like most people I didnít overly enjoy it first time around, but itís my go-to series now. Ziggy doesnít even annoy me anymore on a rewatch. Iíve half a notion that he was put into the show to distract everyone from the litany of new characters and allow their stories to gently develop without audience scorecards influencing the writers to change up. Or maybe Iím such a fanboy that I find new ways to praise the people behind the Wire every time I watch lol.

I really struggled through Breaking Bad. Took me months. Nearly gave up a few times. The last series was really good though. I really enjoyed it.

I think the reason I struggled was because there was nobody to root for, as you alluded to.  The Mike dude was a brilliant character though.

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #6522 on: May 05, 2021, 08:19:45 AM »
Some LoD spoiling going on in here!

Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Wire and the Sopranos.....great shows. Ozark mentioned earlier, read somewhere there is a final season split into 2 halves.

4 Blocks / Goliath, very good shows on Prime.

Has any show went downhill as fast as The Walking Dead?

lurganblue

• View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: May 05, 2021, 10:21:27 AM »
Sopranos just tops The Wire for me but it's close.  Sometimes you only realise how good a show is when it's over and you feel like you are missing an arm.

nrico2006

• View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: May 05, 2021, 10:38:56 AM »
Some LoD spoiling going on in here!

Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Wire and the Sopranos.....great shows. Ozark mentioned earlier, read somewhere there is a final season split into 2 halves.

4 Blocks / Goliath, very good shows on Prime.

Has any show went downhill as fast as The Walking Dead?

I would add GOT to the above list too. 

Walking Dead has been pretty crap for a long time though, same old story recycled over and over.  Find a new place to live, encounter a baddie, suffer, fight back and win then repeat.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'