Dublin v Derry - 14 March 2009

Started by Hound, March 12, 2009, 08:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Buzaglo

Interesting side - obviously still toying around to find the right combination.

Glad to see Barry McGuigan get his chance - would prefer it was in the half back line though.  In saying that, he is one lad who can operate in a number of positions.  Would like to see Patsy Bradley back in midfield as well. 

At some point we are going to have to get the half back line in order - i'm not a fan of any of the current incumbents.

Whatever happened to Seamus Bradley? He has been left off the last two panels.
Would also like to see Ryan Dillon given a shot.

Don't think there will be more than 2 points in this either way.
Will we ever see another one?

cornerback

Quote from: Tim Buzaglo on March 12, 2009, 11:37:47 PM

Glad to see Barry McGuigan get his chance - would prefer it was in the half back line though.  In saying that, he is one lad who can operate in a number of positions.  Would like to see Patsy Bradley back in midfield as well. 

At some point we are going to have to get the half back line in order - i'm not a fan of any of the current incumbents.

I think he was called into the panel for the Kerry game after Paddy Bradley was ruled out, but still... i'm sure it's very frustrating for the likes of him who are putting in the same amount of training & not getting any nfl game time!
It kinda puts brian mullan's huffing at getting taken off against kerry into perspective - at least he's getting a chance to prove his worth

southoftheborder

does anyone agree with the 24 players idea???

it kinda makes the sub bench light, and players that train and put the same effort in, should be made feel part of the squad, even if they just travelled with the panel

Sonny Joe

Quote from: cornerback on March 13, 2009, 08:32:24 AM

At some point we are going to have to get the half back line in order - i'm not a fan of any of the current incumbents.Whatever happened to Seamus Bradley? He has been left off the last two panels.

I think he was called into the panel for the Kerry game after Paddy Bradley was ruled out, but still... i'm sure it's very frustrating for the likes of him who are putting in the same amount of training & not getting any nfl game time!It kinda puts brian mullan's huffing at getting taken off against kerry into perspective - at least he's getting a chance to prove his worth

Tim were you at the Mayo game or the Donegal game or the Fermanagh game. Patsy was yellow carded in each of those games. In th Mayo NFL game he lasted 10 minutes. In the Westmeath he came on and I mean literally gave the ball the way every time he got it. Seriously were you at any of those games?

Were you not at the Mayo game Cornerback, Seamus Bradley played in it. Seamus Bradley is a full forward player, who would you have him on for in this game, Eoin Bradley, Paddy Bradley?

Seamus Bradley played against Mayo and was taken off with 15 to go. IMO he pulled out of 2 balls that he needed and the team needed for him to win

From the team I see above Mullan is dropped.

What would your half back line be? I think its a correct decesiuon to continue with Barry Mc Goldrick at CHB, he did decently there against Kerry considering it was his second game, he wasn't one of our problem areas IMO

Barry Mc Guigans selection in the position he is in, is  very interesting. He will surely pull out to the HFL to ensure a 2 man FFL

IMO its great to see the experimentation. Each player on the panel know that they will bet opportunities, either great or small, its suurely up to each to make the best of it.

I'm sure that there are some players disappointed at getting dropped, Mc Cloy, O'Kane, Mullan, Diver.

It is a team mixed with experince and new faces and new positions. looking forwrad to the game as usual. I was really disappointed with the second half last week.

No Kielt or Mc Kaigue, looks like they have been pulled due to U21 s next week
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

fer fox ache

Lads, all Cass is doing is making sure to give everybody a chance, Bradley played in all three McKenna games and the first league match. Take a look at the goalkeepers, Digsy didn't get a jersey until  last week, gets a start this week, Barry doesn't get a jersey this week. I've no doubt that Seamus Bradley will see get another start before the league is over.
Think Paul Young needs a big game on Saturday, seemed to be trying too hard against Kerry and didn't get in the game.
As regards only taking 24 I believe Cass's policy is that it frees players up to focus on their clubs, although this is a little less relevant for Saturday evening games.

screenexile

Looks to me like McGuigan will be playing the workhorse HF role up and down the pitch and I think he is one man who can play this properly. Full of running, a good passer of the ball and able to set up play well I'm expecting a good game from him. He's also not inclined to take too much out of the ball which should help.

Also agree on the Seamus Bradley situation I would have thought he deserved more of a chance than Brown after his McKenna cup performances but hopefully he will get some game time in the coming weeks.

Can't agree on Patsy playing MF for us. I would always be of the mind that you need a defensive and attacking midfielder and Patsy and Doc are too similar for my liking which is why I'd prefer to see Muldoon there. Put him in MF and get him on the ball is just what we need to get everything clicking right I think. I expect us to win this by2 points!

INDIANA

Strange derry team, a lot of their best players on the bench- then again dublin are very similar at the moment. could be very tight. 2 very experimental teams.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: INDIANA on March 12, 2009, 06:05:48 PM
We'll argue there lynchy Lally is not a forward and they are correct to use him as a half back. He was man of the match in the sigerson final as a wing back and thats his best position. He isn't a forward.
Didnt he play FF for Dub minors, - Jeez Indiana - pls dont start me ranting about him again. I think I am the only person that rates him as a forward, but imo hes a better bet for breaking ball winning wing half forward or a third midfielder.
I know Iam in the minority of ONE ! Sure would you believe I've even had this argument with Lally himself!  :D
(i know I know !  :D)

Heff - the pub heading to DCU (when walking away from parnell pk) on the left hand side - think theres a chipper beside it ?
is that graingers ?

Hoof Hearted

Lynch, if "isourboydownyet" is meeting you for the rugby, he wont see a ball kicked in the Gaelic. He isn't called two beers for nothing !! Hope you have broad shoulders to carry him.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

heffo

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 13, 2009, 11:01:01 AM
We'll argue there lynchy Lally is not a forward and they are correct to use him as a half back. He was man of the match in the sigerson final as a wing back and thats his best position. He isn't a forward.

Heff - the pub heading to DCU (when walking away from parnell pk) on the left hand side - think theres a chipper beside it ?
is that graingers ?

Theres a chipper on the right beside what was the Parnell park house - Graingers is the first pub on the left - there could well be a chipper beside it - tend to head for the more salubrious surroundings of Kavanaghs and a toastie :)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on March 13, 2009, 11:20:52 AM
Lynch, if "isourboydownyet" is meeting you for the rugby, he wont see a ball kicked in the Gaelic. He isn't called two beers for nothing !! Hope you have broad shoulders to carry him.
he mightnt, but I will. Off booze for lent ! Carried plenty in my time, not sure if the old (bionic) hip is up to it these days !  You down for the match ?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: heffo on March 13, 2009, 12:33:17 PM

is that graingers ?
Sounds too upmarket for me Heff   :D- Thanks , may venture in there though...if not will see you on 12th july when we play yous next , and we can have our own wee orange march around russel park clubhouse !
Theres a chipper on the right beside what was the Parnell park house - Graingers is the first pub on the left - there could well be a chipper beside it - tend to head for the more salubrious surroundings of Kavanaghs and a toastie :)

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 13, 2009, 12:34:27 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on March 13, 2009, 11:20:52 AM
he mightnt, but I will. Off booze for lent ! Carried plenty in my time, not sure if the old (bionic) hip is up to it these days ! You down for the match ?

An armchair fan during the winter/spring im afraid to say, apart from last week when it was in the front yard. Thats why i dont get involved in discussions about the county team selections, tactics, who played well etc etc cause im not in the best position to judge.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Sean3

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 13, 2009, 12:36:17 PM

is that graingers ?
Sounds too upmarket for me Heff   :D- Thanks , may venture in there though...if not will see you on 12th july when we play yous next , and we can have our own wee orange march around russel park clubhouse !

Lynchboy, that is Kitty Kiernan's that you are talking about. 5 mins walk up Collins Ave on the way to Whitehall but still in Donnycarney

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Sean3 on March 13, 2009, 01:53:36 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 13, 2009, 12:36:17 PM

is that graingers ?

Lynchboy, that is Kitty Kiernan's that you are talking about. 5 mins walk up Collins Ave on the way to Whitehall but still in Donnycarney
thanks Sean,
I park the car round there so its handy for me and on the way home
Hate to admit that screenexile was correct  :o

So Screen, isourboydownyet and anyone else care to join us to watch the rugby and then on to Parnell pk to see the real game?

Hoof
"nter/spring im afraid to say, apart from last week when it was in the front yard. Thats why i dont get involved in discussions about the county team selections, tactics, who played well etc etc cause im not in the best position to judge. "
Jeez - it doesnt stop the rest of them commenting  - myself included !
:D