The Late Late show

Started by T O Hare, January 30, 2009, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiveItToTheShooters

Tony Baloney

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on May 28, 2021, 09:59:27 PM
By far
Women's boxing shouldn't even be in the conversation. Ireland's Greatest Woman Boxer is what she is.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 28, 2021, 10:05:20 PM
By far
Women's boxing shouldn't even be in the conversation. Ireland's Greatest Woman Boxer is what she is.
Her sport and her gender is irrelevant.

laoislad

By far
That's Baloney Tony.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on May 28, 2021, 10:11:29 PM
By far
That's Baloney Tony.
Rubbish. You and I both know Rory McIlroy is Ireland's Greatest Sportsperson.

GiveItToTheShooters

Hound

Olympic boxing titles should not be in the picture when talking about greatest ever Irish sportsperson. 
It's just a class below elite, to put it mildly.

Katie is world professional champion, and that's fantastic. She's an inspiration but it's a minority sport, so I'd put her on par with another multiple champion in a minority sport, Conor McGregor, personal feelings aside.

Both behind McIlroy, Harrington, Roy Keane, McGrath and Brady as truly world class operators in highly competitive sports.

George Best outdoes all of the above.  And not far behind is Alex Higgins. Another absolute genius. Two world titles and a host of other wins. Even aged 40 beat Stephen Hendry in the Irish Masters final!  And when Ireland won 3 in a row world titles, Higgins played 30 frames and won 26. 26-4 against top opposition is incredible. But after the 3 in a row, the authorities split us into north and south teams and the run ended.

But Georgie's probably the best ever. Pity he didn't get his wish to play in an All Ireland soccer team and then he could have show the whole world how good he was.

GiveItToTheShooters

Says Olympic gold medals are a level below elite and says Katie participates in a "minority sport" (whatever that means) but then goes on to mention Alex Higgins as being not fair behind the top, as if snooker isn't a "minority sport". ;D
Deluded would be an understatement.

BennyCake

The hurlers, Gaelic footballers, soccer players, golfers and athletes Ireland have produced, and a woman boxer is the greatest sportsperson? Aye, dead on  ::)

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on May 29, 2021, 12:45:39 AM
The hurlers, Gaelic footballers, soccer players, golfers and athletes Ireland have produced, and a woman boxer is the greatest sportsperson? Aye, dead on  ::)

You are comparing our Hurlers and Gaelic footballers to whom?

GiveItToTheShooters

Again, her sport and her gender is irrelevant. McIlroy fan boys are very touchy

From the Bunker

Pat Spillane used to talk in derision about the Irish Football team. What have they won? He would ask. Look at all the AI's my Kerry team won and we don't get half the recognition!

But you see Pat was living in small town Ireland. Where huge weight is put on local achievements. Often exaggerated in the eyes of local pride. No harm in that. No harm at all. But the reality is when you go out into the Big bad world there is a huge shift in standard, no matter how much the sport is seen as a minority sport.

Mikhail Prokhorov

golf, snooker and darts don't count as they requires no real physical fitness and you can be competitive until you are 60 and older

katie is not my first choice but her achievements are up there with the best we've produced

laoislad

I'd pay big money to see the likes of you and Tony Baloney step into a ring with Katie. I'd absolutely love to see it.  ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BennyCake

Quote from: laoislad on May 29, 2021, 07:31:30 AM
I'd pay big money to see the likes of you and Tony Baloney step into a ring with Katie. I'd absolutely love to see it.  ;D

Aye, and David Clifford would leave me on my arse and my head spinning if I marked him in a match. And Roy Keane in his day wouldn't have give me a kick of the ball either. But what does that prove?

Raving about women's boxing, lads. Jesus Christ. Get a grip.