The best GAA book for christmas

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, December 21, 2008, 11:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh4SamAgain

Whats the best GAA book to get this vchristnmas. i want 1 for me Da.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

the milkman

heffo

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on December 21, 2008, 11:39:53 AM

Dessie: Tangled up in blue

Guillem2

Last Man Standing would be my recommendation.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

thebandit

stephenite

Quote from: heffo on December 21, 2008, 12:30:33 PM
Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on December 21, 2008, 11:39:53 AM

Dessie: Tangled up in blue

Thought it was one of the worst meself

RedandGreenSniper

Some great ones out there

Last Man Standing (Christy O'Connor) profiles the trials and tribulations of hurling goalkeepers
Hurling: The Revolution Years (Denis Walsh) is a great work on the hurling scene from 1995-2000
Kings of September (Michael Foley) is a wonderful look back on the 1982 All-Ireland Football Final, very insightful
Kerry and Dublin (Tom Humphries) looks at that great rivalry
The Lifelong Season (Keith Duggan) would be the best pick for me, a series of chapters looking at different individuals throughout the GAA whose life is framed by the GAA
House of Pain (Keith Duggan) is a good tearjerker, looking at Mayo's continuous failure . . .
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

T Fearon

Is it just me or are their very few new books out this year (apart from the County Yearbooks)? A lot of those books mentioned have been hanging around for a few years.The Championship is a must for me. Season of Sundays 2008 was £28 sterling in Belfast yesterday, it will be available in Easons in O Connell Street for 5 euros next autumn, so my advice is to wait patiently.

Humphries Kerry V Dublin book is a great read, especially for those of us who remember and lived through the 70s era.

PS Buy all your sports books on Amazon, you'll save a fortune, but at this stage they'll not be here for xmas.

ONeill

Isn't there one out about Cork Hurlers 96-08?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

corn02

INDIANA

Of this years books only its probably the worst year for a while. a lot of the books mentioned above have been out for 2 years. Blood brothers is good but the rest are very average.

under the bar

I got Michael O'Muirheartighs's biog last year but havent had the chance to read it yet.  Anyone got that far?

5 Sams

He has another book out since that called "From Booroloola to Mangerton Mountain"....excellent book. Its really a collection of anecdotes from his travels around the world most of them with a GAA connection. There's also some cracking photos in it especially the one of himself and Dara Ó Cinnéide on top of Brandon with Sam.
The Aristocrat Years

T Fearon

On top of Brandon? Is that a male or female?

ONeill

There's a Tyrone picture book out based on the 2008 season (pictures mostly which'll suit those in Urney, Brackaville, Andersonstown, Gortin and Moortown).

Fairly decent - pics all by Jim Dunne.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.