6 Captains to lift Sam twice

Started by EugeneGeraghty, January 30, 2007, 09:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EugeneGeraghty

Apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere but I can't see it anyweres...

Last week Roscommon legend Jimmy Murray died, he was one of only 6 men to lift Sam twice as winning captain. Who are the others?

Hound

Tony Hanahoe - Dublin - 1976,77

I think Enda Colleran for Galway in the 60s

forkinknife

Joe Barret, Jim Murray, J.J O'Reilly, Seán Flanagan, Enda Colleran and Tony Hanahoe

nrico2006

Yes, Joe Barrett, Kerry; Jimmy Murray, Roscommon; John Joe O'Reilly, Cavan; Seán Flanagan, Mayo; Enda Colleran, Galway and Tony Hanahoe, Dublin.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tubberman

3 Connacht men, and 1 from each of the other provinces. We're on top on one stat anyway!  ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

realredhandfan

You can add Mr Dooher to that list by the end of the year.

Over the Bar

I'm assuming Kerry's practise of allowing the county champions to nominate the captain of the kerry team has meant only one man in the kindom has lifted her in consecutive years?

Onlooker

I know it was before the Sam Maguire Cup was presented to the All Ireland Champions, but Sean Kennedy captained Wexford to 3 All Irelands in a row in 1915, 1916 and 1917.   This record has never been equalled and it is most unlikely that it ever will.  He surely deserves a very special mention on this topic.