Coldplay

Started by screenexile, April 29, 2008, 12:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Was listening to Radio 1 there and noticed Coldplay's new singel was on. What do people think of Coldplay these days? They kind of fell into that trap that happens to a lot of easy listening music like David Gray and James Blunt where everyone loves them after the first album and it's cool to like them next thing they're just singing whiney crap and you're a loser for even mentioning their name.

I think Coldplay are a great band with Parachutes and Rush of Blood being right up there in my list of favourite albums. X&Y was OK but just didn't hit the same heights. I saw them live twice and I have to say that they are a great band for a stadium as the time I saw them in the Odyssey they were class. Having seen them outdoors it wasn't just the same but still a good gig.

Anyway just wanting to see what people's opinion was of them ahead of the New Album... will anyone be buying it? Oh and the new single is available for download for free off their website now (Although there is a high volume on it so it could take a while). It seems to be good enough but will probably take a few listens to like.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

mhacadoir

i dont particularly like them, yet have noticed iv got all albums on my ipod! they are the sort of band that have one or two outstanding records on every album. fix you is an amazing song

AFS

Boring, pretentious, bland, radio 2 music. The type of crap 45 year old dads like.

Puckoon

I dont think you can put coldplay and david gray in the same category. Although cold play have fallen off the mainstream a little - David Gray would have me reaching for a rope and a rafter if I had to listen to him again.

GalwayBayBoy

Strangely enough their albums have almost all been released to serious critical acclaim from the NME to Q to Uncut to the broadsheet music reviews. However once women started buying their records in bulk their credibility took a nosedive and they were dismissed as chick music by the uber-trendies in the music press. Much the same fate that befell the likes of David Gray, Damien Rice, etc.

I remember getting Parachutes very shortly after it was released and it was an excellent debut album. A Rush of Blood to the Head is a brilliant album IMO but it was shortly after that record was released that the backlash began. Unfortunately they are now considered chronically uncool by the music press despite the very same music press salivating over them a few years ago.

Billys Boots

QuoteThe type of crap 45 year old dads like.

Thanks a bunch ... I can't bear them actually.

For the record (geddit?), I've just listened to '16 Lovers Lane' by The Go-Betweens, which (I think you'll find) the critics love and loved (and so do I).  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

thejuice

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 29, 2008, 02:57:20 PMUnfortunately they are now considered chronically uncool by the music press despite the very same music press salivating over them a few years ago.

Its happened to countless bands over the years. If anyone was around after '77 would know that the music press were quick to jump on the punk band wagon and start putting the boot into Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Genesis who they had worshipped for the start of the decade.

Im not a fan of Coldplay never was or will be (although I like the song "Clocks") too toothless for my tastes but of course the music press are never slow to turn their heroes much like most other form of media
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Puckoon

In all honesty, I think we've been spoiled by the few bands who rarely put together a bad album. Its a difficult thing to continue to write music over the course of a decade (or two or three or four!) that everyone appreciates.

AFS

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 29, 2008, 03:13:45 PM
QuoteThe type of crap 45 year old dads like.

Thanks a bunch ... I can't bear them actually.

For the record (geddit?), I've just listened to '16 Lovers Lane' by The Go-Betweens, which (I think you'll find) the critics love and loved (and so do I).  ;)

Lol, sorry  :P. My point is that they make horribly boring, generic music that can be aimed at everyone from 9 to 90. They're probably pushed in that direction by the record company though, more potential fans = more potential $$$.