Joe Canning retires

Started by mouview, July 28, 2021, 12:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0728/1237774-joe-canning-announces-galway-retirement/

His place in history is assured. One of the true greats and Galway's greatest ever.
So many brilliant moments and memories.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

johnnycool

Quote from: mouview on July 28, 2021, 12:55:09 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0728/1237774-joe-canning-announces-galway-retirement/

His place in history is assured. One of the true greats and Galway's greatest ever.
So many brilliant moments and memories.

Two or three Club AI's to supplement his one senior and probably a load of U21 and minor ones..

Great hurler who along with a load of the lads on the current senior team have underachieved the last few years..

yellowcard

There are numerous examples of sporting legends who retired without reaching the pinnacle of their sport so thankfully Joe at least got his AI medal that was the very least his talents deserved. For pure raw natural ability there were few better.   

seafoid

I saw him for the first time in the 2006 all Ireland minor final. Amazing player.
Shortly afterwards the wheels fell off cork hurling.
And he got the Celtic Cross, even if it could have been more.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Armagh18

What a player. Thought there would be a few years in him yet but glad he got his All Ireland with Galway.

Cavan19

Quote from: seafoid on July 28, 2021, 01:52:57 PM
I saw him for the first time in the 2006 all Ireland minor final. Amazing player.

What has Joe got to do with Cork?

Cyril Farrell fan

This is a disaster for Galway. I'm 90% sure he'll change his mind and come back next year!

Milltown Row2

the problem for Joe was that he played for the county at such a young age in all levels, 2 Minor all Irelands 1 under 21 4 club all irelands and a Fitzgibbon
and 5 Galway titles at senior..

The body can only do so much.

Been a pleasure to see him win at Croke, was a great day out. Seen him win on Paddy's day also.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Cavan19 on July 28, 2021, 02:48:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 28, 2021, 01:52:57 PM

What has Joe got to do with Cork?
It was just the day. Kilkenny destroyed them
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

There was always an air of expectation something special might happen when Joe got the sliotar and my word did he deliver on so many occasions.

Privileged to have seen him in the flesh plenty of times.

So many would watch a game just to see Canning play.

maddog

Has there ever been anyone as good with the sideline cut ?

Sportacus

Every time I see the UK or US media go bananas about a great baseball or cricket catch, I think of Joe Canning - that one where he does a hand pass out the backdoor and puts a player away in space - magic.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: maddog on July 28, 2021, 03:53:25 PM

He's pointed 27 in the championship, Mick Moroney comes next on 8 and Austin Gleeson has hit the most of those still playing and he's on 6 according to Malachy Clerkin. He hit 4 against Limerick in last year's semi alone.

maddog

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 28, 2021, 04:06:22 PM
Quote from: maddog on July 28, 2021, 03:53:25 PM

He's pointed 27 in the championship, Mick Moroney comes next on 8 and Austin Gleeson has hit the most of those still playing and he's on 6 according to Malachy Clerkin. He hit 4 against Limerick in last year's semi alone.

Wow, some record.