Brian Lohan v David Fitzgerald

Started by macker15, May 25, 2021, 10:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: clonadmad on July 27, 2021, 04:51:21 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 27, 2021, 03:43:12 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 27, 2021, 01:05:48 PM
When Davy takes on a County team, it all becomes about Davy. This can be good as there is less focus on the players. But the circus has to be still a distraction.

Davy is a reality TV star. Any team he takes on has a Celebrity Bainisteoir feel to it. He will lift the county when he comes, but it is only a short term fix.

Would be interesting if he took the Dublin Job? They'd have the money for him!

This was mentioned in another discussion board and the resident dub hurling fanatic was adamant that Costello wouldn't touch Davy with a 10 ft barge pole as he doesn't like his managers to court media attention...

That's Davy ruled out then.

Davy might have to step down a rung on the ladder to secure a management role in hurling. A Laois, Westmeath or the likes.

A smaller county wouldn't have the resources to fund the Davy Circus

It's official, wee Davy has left the strawberry pickers..

There's a job going in Clare as head of coaching and development, daddy might see him right on that one but will split the county in two, like a civil war. That would be interesting to say the least.

As for Wexford, will they take a punt on Eddie Brennan?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on July 30, 2021, 10:39:33 AM
Quote from: clonadmad on July 27, 2021, 04:51:21 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 27, 2021, 03:43:12 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 27, 2021, 01:05:48 PM
When Davy takes on a County team, it all becomes about Davy. This can be good as there is less focus on the players. But the circus has to be still a distraction.

Davy is a reality TV star. Any team he takes on has a Celebrity Bainisteoir feel to it. He will lift the county when he comes, but it is only a short term fix.

Would be interesting if he took the Dublin Job? They'd have the money for him!

This was mentioned in another discussion board and the resident dub hurling fanatic was adamant that Costello wouldn't touch Davy with a 10 ft barge pole as he doesn't like his managers to court media attention...

That's Davy ruled out then.

Davy might have to step down a rung on the ladder to secure a management role in hurling. A Laois, Westmeath or the likes.

A smaller county wouldn't have the resources to fund the Davy Circus

It's official, wee Davy has left the strawberry pickers..

There's a job going in Clare as head of coaching and development, daddy might see him right on that one but will split the county in two, like a civil war. That would be interesting to say the least.

As for Wexford, will they take a punt on Eddie Brennan?

Eddie would do a decent job, was good for Laois last year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

TheGreatest

Was he worth it for Wexford?

5 Years only 1 Leinster
5 years by approx. 100K plus.
Money could have been well spent on GDOs or Sports or high performance coaches/Managers.

I know they haver plenty of money backers down there but others complain about others resources in other counties without doing the right thing in their own houses.

For example, Jim Gavin never took a penny, never even took expenses...

From the Bunker

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 30, 2021, 12:43:24 PM

5 Years only 1 Leinster
Money could have been well spent on GDOs or Sports or high performance coaches/Managers.

I know they haver plenty of money backers down there but others complain about others resources in other counties without doing the right thing in their own houses.

How many Leinster titles have Wexford won in the 20 years previous to Davy arriving?

Do you think winning that Leinster had a positive effect on Hurling in Wexford?

Jim Galvin's volunteering and amateurism can only be applauded. He did so without seeking attention or acknowledgement.
Hopefully in time, we see him back in the game, bringing his knowledge and tactical nous to another county.

TheGreatest

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2021, 12:58:23 PM

5 Years only 1 Leinster

How many Leinster titles have Wexford won in the 20 years previous to Davy arriving?

Jim Galvin's volunteering and amateurism can only be applauded. He did so without seeking attention or acknowledgement.
Hopefully in time, we see him back in the game, bringing his knowledge and tactical nous to another county.

Yeah it was great for them to win it and its great for Leinster they are competitive, but would  the money be best spent over 5 years plus on underage GDOs/ Sports performance etc, to build for the future .... I don't know, that's why i am asking, will Wexford slip back a bit after he's gone, was it for 5 years of success only, a quick win, nothing about the future.

Agree on Jim, Dubs get some stick rightly or wrongly, but cant fault Jim Gavin for anything he has done for Dublin over his whole life of service to it.

johnnycool

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 30, 2021, 01:03:12 PM

5 Years only 1 Leinster

Yeah it was great for them to win it and its great for Leinster they are competitive, but would  the money be best spent over 5 years plus on underage GDOs/ Sports performance etc, to build for the future .... I don't know, that's why i am asking, will Wexford slip back a bit after he's gone, was it for 5 years of success only, a quick win, nothing about the future.

Agree on Jim, Dubs get some stick rightly or wrongly, but cant fault Jim Gavin for anything he has done for Dublin over his whole life of service to it.

Slip back to where?

IMO Davy has a style of play that makes a team hard to beat but will never be offensive enough to actually win anything AI wise. Yes he bagged a Leinster title after Galway filled the trunks against Dublin (again) and Kilkenny being weaker than they'd been in a while.
In fairness they still have to be won so credit where it's due, but he seems to have an initial feel good factor and that diminishes within the team fairly quickly and it's only after that players come out with what was going on.

I think he'll have to sit out senior intercounty management for a while as he brings an awful lot of baggage with him.

imtommygunn

I think it's the intensity. Like his personality I think his preparation is very intense and it isn't sustainable. He will get buy in for a few years I suspect though. (If mcguinness has stayed on at Donegal I always thought the same would have happened).

That would be ok where there's a conveyor belt of talent but when the same pool of players it doesn't work for too long.

From the Bunker

5 Years only 1 Leinster

So what you are asking for is for Wexford to abandon spending money on their intercounty hurling team and invest it in underage GDO's /Sports performance etc.

How many Full time GDO's do you think Wexford could employ for the expenses to Davy? One? Two?

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 30, 2021, 01:59:10 PM
I think it's the intensity. Like his personality I think his preparation is very intense and it isn't sustainable. He will get buy in for a few years I suspect though. (If mcguinness has stayed on at Donegal I always thought the same would have happened).

That would be ok where there's a conveyor belt of talent but when the same pool of players it doesn't work for too long.

Some of that but you get the impression he's very dictatorial in his management style akin to the old style school teachers rather than bringing people along with him. When he falls out with you, that's that it seems.

Cody would have been accused of that type of management but when you're picking up AI's by the bucket load then it isn't questioned.
Davy wasn't doing that.

TheGreatest

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2021, 02:28:47 PM

5 Years only 1 Leinster

So what you are asking for is for Wexford to abandon spending money on their intercounty hurling team and invest it in underage GDO's /Sports performance etc.

How many Full time GDO's do you think Wexford could employ for the expenses to Davy? One? Two?

Well if runours are to be believed more than 1 anyway , 4 a year for 5 years, maybe 5.

I dont, they just seemed to start from the top down, rather that bottom up. Will it be another 20 years before they win it again?

From the Bunker

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 30, 2021, 04:27:04 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2021, 02:28:47 PM

5 Years only 1 Leinster

Well if runours are to be believed more than 1 anyway , 4 a year for 5 years, maybe 5.

I dont, they just seemed to start from the top down, rather that bottom up. Will it be another 20 years before they win it again?

Remember that you have to still have the expenses of the new manager.  So we'll say two GDO's for a whole county. They'll probably make a difference to the kids who play the game in a limited time capacity. There is only so much that 2 GDO's can do in a county. After that you need a successful inter-county team to generate interest among the young and attract them to the game. It's a Chicken and Egg scenario.

Cyril Farrell fan

Davy will be renewing his rivalry with Lohan with Galway by the looks of it.
No offence to Wexford, but there is a much better pool of talent coming through in Galway.

hoynevalley

Quote from: Cyril Farrell fan on September 03, 2021, 05:41:20 PM
Davy will be renewing his rivalry with Lohan with Galway by the looks of it.
No offence to Wexford, but there is a much better pool of talent coming through in Galway.

Davy will needs add steel to Galway hurling. Very flakey team over the years. Was hoping Davy would team up with Cheddar in Laois. Would be boost to the county.

Cyril Farrell fan

It looks a done deal now. Davy Fitz to Galway.
It will shake up a few Galway players who have been coasting the last couple of years.

johnnycool

Wee Davy now rumoured to be in talks with the Cork Camogs....

That wee man will find a high profile gig somewhere..