China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Another view from someone much better qualified than ourselves.
https://youtu.be/Jxkb2yhdLiA

armaghniac

Quote from: Last Man on December 07, 2021, 12:03:00 PM

Typical, are you suggesting just because these people have PhDs and 30 years working on this stuff does not mean that they know more about this stuff than someone on this board who read something on Facebook?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Looking to book a show in Dublin in Feb, with the way things are going at the minute is it worthwhile booking? Is there a chance that they will stop these 'super spreader' events
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 07, 2021, 12:34:46 PM
Looking to book a show in Dublin in Feb, with the way things are going at the minute is it worthwhile booking? Is there a chance that they will stop these 'super spreader' events

Already got email saying we might not get to Lion King(reduced by 50%) booked ages ago

thebigfella

Quote from: Last Man on December 07, 2021, 12:03:00 PM

Clearly not..... it refers to a paper, not peer reviewed, that was first shared here https://twitter.com/MartinNeil9/status/1466814347762671628?t=ReIXOjXKU44AlhuzPiEcvA&s=19

A number of people have already questioned the manipulation of the data to prove the hypothesis of the paper.

J70

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 06, 2021, 10:43:27 PM
I wear a mask and all but unsure of the benefit of it. I would do some paint spraying on and off, minor things spraying. And u have to wear certain level of mask due to paint particles in the air. And particles from coughing etc are smaller again. Am not sure of the real scientific fact with basic masks as u def not spray paint with them.

Most surgical masks or covid-type face coverings are useless to protect you from something like paint vapours and aerosols. They don't form a seal, nor are they necessarily made from tested or appropriate filtering material (you need activated carbon/charcoal or similar for the vapours but a different filtering material for the aerosols/droplets). Surgical masks might stop a few large droplets getting through I guess, but that's not what they're designed for. They're designed to protect the people around the person wearing it, traditionally the patient being treated by the surgeon or other health practitioner so that the patient doesn't get infected by anything the health practitioner is exhaling.

When it comes to covid, its the same thing. A form of source control to lower the chances of the wearer infecting others.

Of course, you can add to that for your own benefit by wearing something like an N95 respirator instead of a surgical or cloth mask. A proper respirator will also offer the wearer some level of protection (assuming its worn correctly, clean-shaven etc. so that it forms a seal).

I've seen debates about N95s with exhalation valves. The issue being that the exhalation valve allows unhindered release of exhaled air and thus defeats the purpose of the whole masking exercise when it comes to covid. Which is true for the most part. However, if you have someone who ALWAYS wears a properly fitted N95 (clean shaven etc), then they're probably much less likely to contract covid in the first place and thus less likely to infect others and so possibly a better masking participant than the person with only a surgical mask or cloth covering.

Gmac

Quote from: Keyser soze on December 07, 2021, 10:15:26 AM
Quote from: Gmac on December 06, 2021, 11:55:39 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on December 06, 2021, 11:41:08 PM
Quote from: Gmac on December 06, 2021, 11:35:24 PM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on December 06, 2021, 11:28:11 PM
Quote from: Gmac on December 06, 2021, 11:23:10 PM
I wear a mask and all but unsure of the benefit of it. I would do some paint spraying on and off, minor things spraying. And u have to wear certain level of mask due to paint particles in the air. And particles from coughing etc are smaller again. Am not sure of the real scientific fact with basic masks as u def not spray paint with them.
they work on the assumption everyone is sick , if you are not sick why do you have to wear one ? The one symptom everyone has with covid is fever , get a thermometer and if your temperature is above the normal get a test done , if we don't start moving forward with nearly 100% vaccination rate and after 2 years of restrictions. Common sense has disappeared in society and was in short supply before covid .

You can have covid without a fever...
well let's say it seems to be the most common symptom.
1 in 3 have no symptoms.
how do you/they know they have it ?

GMAC you are in here quite a bit debating various subjects, quoting different articles etc, so you seem to be intelligent and well read on some subjects.

Can I ask you how is it possible that you are unaware that a fair percentage of people with Covid are asymptomatic? Like that has been mentioned on here dozens and dozens of times, and TBH any reasonably intelligent 10 year old could have gleaned that from the news within the first couple of weeks of the pandemic starting. It is not an issue that is up for debate or contentious or has only come to light, yet you seem to be entirely unaware of it.

How can that be?
of course I've heard of it, play this thread on a loop for another year or 2 because nothing is changing if you have 95% + of 18+'vaccinated  and restrictions are coming back , move to Florida and have a nice life

armaghniac

Quote from: Gmac on December 07, 2021, 02:52:14 PM
of course I've heard of it, play this thread on a loop for another year or 2 because nothing is changing if you have 95% + of 18+'vaccinated  and restrictions are coming back , move to Florida and have a nice life

See Naples and die!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 07, 2021, 01:58:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 07, 2021, 12:34:46 PM

Already got email saying we might not get to Lion King(reduced by 50%) booked ages ago

Seen that in late February, so hopefully things will pass!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

grounded

Quote from: J70 on December 07, 2021, 02:06:08 PM

Most surgical masks or covid-type face coverings are useless to protect you from something like paint vapours and aerosols. They don't form a seal, nor are they necessarily made from tested or appropriate filtering material (you need activated carbon/charcoal or similar for the vapours but a different filtering material for the aerosols/droplets). Surgical masks might stop a few large droplets getting through I guess, but that's not what they're designed for. They're designed to protect the people around the person wearing it, traditionally the patient being treated by the surgeon or other health practitioner so that the patient doesn't get infected by anything the health practitioner is exhaling.

When it comes to covid, its the same thing. A form of source control to lower the chances of the wearer infecting others.

Of course, you can add to that for your own benefit by wearing something like an N95 respirator instead of a surgical or cloth mask. A proper respirator will also offer the wearer some level of protection (assuming its worn correctly, clean-shaven etc. so that it forms a seal).

I've seen debates about N95s with exhalation valves. The issue being that the exhalation valve allows unhindered release of exhaled air and thus defeats the purpose of the whole masking exercise when it comes to covid. Which is true for the most part. However, if you have someone who ALWAYS wears a properly fitted N95 (clean shaven etc), then they're probably much less likely to contract covid in the first place and thus less likely to infect others and so possibly a better masking participant than the person with only a surgical mask or cloth covering.

Different standards of protective masks. N95 is comparable to ffp2, but for effective protection certainly in a health care setting the minimum is an ffp3(comparable n99 in states) mask.

The problem with ppf3 masks in a healthcare or any other setting, is that to be effective they need to be fit tested and the operator trained in their use.
       Each time they don the mask and take it off needs to have the same reproducible effective results.
     The process takes about 40-60 mins and cost wise is approx £65 per person.
       Because they are fit tested with one specific mask, they technically can only use the same brand and type of disposable mask. 
       Disposable masks are designed for single session use and at a couple of quid each probably too expensive for most people. You'd need a few each day.
      You can purchase a reusable ppf3 mask and replace the filters( the masks are approx £40) and the filters are £10. Again to be fully effective need fit tested.
        I suppose you could wear either type without fit testing but then it won't be as effective. It would certainly be better than those surgical/cloth face masks which are not very effective at all at preventing virus transmission. 
          The idea of mass producing n95(actually needs to be n99/ppf3) and supplying them for the world population free of charge shows a basic lack of understanding of how masks are used.
         Each and every person in the world would require a fit test by a trained expert. There would also need to be a guaranteed supply of the exact same mask that they used for their  fit test for as long as this pandemic lasts for.
           I think world governments should try to feed the starving before worrying about masks!
       I'm not directing that last bit at you btw.

J70

Quote from: grounded on December 07, 2021, 07:01:05 PM

Different standards of protective masks. N95 is comparable to ffp2, but for effective protection certainly in a health care setting the minimum is an ffp3(comparable n99 in states) mask.

The problem with ppf3 masks in a healthcare or any other setting, is that to be effective they need to be fit tested and the operator trained in their use.
       Each time they don the mask and take it off needs to have the same reproducible effective results.
       Because they are fit tested with one specific mask, they technically can only use the same brand and type of disposable mask. 
       Disposable masks are designed for single session use and at a couple of quid each probably too expensive for most people. You'd need a few each day.
      You can purchase a reusable ppf3 mask and replace the filters( the masks are approx £40) and the filters are £10. Again to be fully effective need fit tested.
        I suppose you could wear either type without fit testing but then it won't be as effective. It would certainly be better than those surgical/cloth face masks which are not very effective at all at preventing virus transmission. 
          The idea of mass producing n95(actually needs to be n99/ppf3) and supplying them for the world population free of charge shows a basic lack of understanding of how masks are used.
         Each and every person in the world would require a fit test by a trained expert. There would also need to be a guaranteed supply of the exact same mask that they used for their  fit test for as long as this pandemic lasts for.
           I think world governments should try to feed the starving before worrying about masks!

Yeah, I'm well aware of fit testing and so on (65 pound/head - someone's cleaning up! ;D), but for the average man in the street its not an option. That said, an N95/99 or euro equivalents worn clean shaven with straps where they should be are still a damn sight better than a surgical mask or cloth facial cover for protecting the wearer (as you say).

grounded

Quote from: J70 on December 07, 2021, 08:57:11 PM
Quote from: grounded on December 07, 2021, 07:01:05 PM

Yeah, I'm well aware of fit testing and so on (65 pound/head - someone's cleaning up! ;D), but for the average man in the street its not an option. That said, an N95/99 or euro equivalents worn clean shaven with straps where they should be are still a damn sight better than a surgical mask or cloth facial cover for protecting the wearer (as you say).

In an ideal world sure.
       But we both know that n99/ppf3 will be carried from post to pillar. Trailed in and out of their pockets/handbags/cars and in itself will become a danger.
       How many times do you see people touching at and moving their mask? Scratching their nose and mouth. The same mask used for days or weeks!
       The fact they want 5 or 6 year olds to wear a fabric/surgical mask at school and expect a measurable decrease in transmission/infection rates within the group because of the masks is hard to fathom.

bennydorano

Twitter thread of John Burn Murdoch (retweeted by Adam Boulton of Sky), that gives some encouraging data from South Africa / Omicron related.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1468310548609744904?t=x5p_YN8LkAkBxzGdldhruA&s=19

theskull1

Some very good advice to pass on to all your elderly loved ones

Why oh why can this not form a large part of the official messaging one has to wonder

https://youtu.be/HBqQT2VJclU

A fair dig in here IMO (though not what the video is about) about why vaccines were not distributed worldwide to protect the most vulnerable globally during the vaccine roll out rather than the wealthy countries hoarding supplies to use on their whole populations
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: theskull1 on December 08, 2021, 11:30:12 PM
Some very good advice to pass on to all your elderly loved ones

Why oh why can this not form a large part of the official messaging one has to wonder

https://youtu.be/HBqQT2VJclU

A fair dig in here IMO (though not what the video is about) about why vaccines were not distributed worldwide to protect the most vulnerable globally during the vaccine roll out rather than the wealthy countries hoarding supplies to use on their whole populations

Hard to argue with that