First time buyers advice

Started by qwerty123, June 08, 2017, 12:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintin25

Quote from: Rois on June 08, 2017, 11:01:13 AM
Quote from: qwerty123 on June 08, 2017, 08:38:48 AM
I've mostly read bad opinions on places like Newtownabbey and Carrickfergus and while some of the houses there I do like it would put me off buying if they were held in bad regard. I presume these are places to avoid or have you other thoughts?

I'd also discount the two you've already said have bad opinions.  Newtownabbey is a bit of a nothing and Carrick is a black hole.  I think Glengormley would be a much nicer place to live.  I have no real opinion on Glenavy but it's not an extension of Belfast the way Gleng would be.

I am a big champion of North Belfast for affordable but nice and also very handy for transport links and walkable to the city centre in about 40 mins.  Without knowing your budget, you can get some nicely refurbed semis around Lansdowne Road area for really decent prices and most of them have generous gardens. 

Hi, could you recommend any areas in North Belfast to look at?  Preferably one which isn't too scummy and little to no flags lol

bogball88

Quote from: qwerty123 on June 08, 2017, 12:10:02 AM
I have been trying to save for a deposit on a house for a few years now and have got to an amount that I'd be happy enough with. I'm undefined about where I should buy though. Whether it's where i live now or somewhere closer to Belfast although i wouldn't be sure of the areas and if the properties would hold their value. Especially as property prices seem to be on the rise right now.
Anyone's thoughts on these areas? Some great houses but then the areas don't look great sometimes.
Newtownabbey
Glengormley
Carrickfergus
Glenavy
Any advice would be great!

I work in Newtownabbey-shit hole generally. Hightown in Glengormley is dead on up near where the Edmund Rice and St Enda's pitch is, lots of new developments being built in the area as you travel towards Mallusk. Although be aware there are a couple of landfills in the area which sometimes in the summer can attract flies and odour. There are also plans for a waste incinerator to be located in the area. Collinward just on down the Antrim Road near the Bellevue isn't too bad, although there can be quite a bit of anti Social behaviour around here over the summer months around the area near McDonalds.

Rois

From Fortwilliam Park outwards is what I class as the nicer areas.  No flags unless you go to the bottom towards the Shore Road.

Lansdowne Road/Park, Somerton Road, Bristol Av, Taunton Av, Downview, Innisfayle, Parkmount, Waterloo.  Quite a few houses around that area I find are in need of modern decoration but the size of the gardens mean you could really do a lot to it over the medium term.  There's a pretty tidy looking (small) detached house in Lansdowne Drive for £160k which I think looks good value.

I'm looking round at the minute, and I am def including that area in my search.   

The schools in the area are nice, and I'll be honest, it feels like there's a strong nationalist demographic around that particular part, although it is not outwardly visible, so I feel really comfortable.   

bogball88

I've mostly read bad opinions on places like Newtownabbey and Carrickfergus and while some of the houses there I do like it would put me off buying if they were held in bad regard. I presume these are places to avoid or have you other thoughts?

What places are up and coming? The area I live in is nice enough but prices can be expensive enough.

It's beginning to frustrate as to what to do...stick and save a little longer or buy something although not wishing to compromise too much on location.

Just out of interest which parts of Newtownabbey where you looking at?

qwerty123

I had just searched for Newtownabbey on propertypal and like someone said they looked lovely and unbelievable prices, but with a quick search on googlemaps you could see flegs. It may mean the increase of 20K to the house but it's worth it in the long run and these houses I assume are more likely to keep their value that bit better.

It's a hard one to decide to buy something cheaper or buy a house that would be an extra 40/50K but that I would be happy with for years.

Rois

Quote from: qwerty123 on June 08, 2017, 12:21:03 PM
I had just searched for Newtownabbey on propertypal and like someone said they looked lovely and unbelievable prices, but with a quick search on googlemaps you could see flegs. It may mean the increase of 20K to the house but it's worth it in the long run and these houses I assume are more likely to keep their value that bit better.

It's a hard one to decide to buy something cheaper or buy a house that would be an extra 40/50K but that I would be happy with for years.
Go and look at the streets you're considering.  In Belfast there are flags everywhere, and a street could be on the edge of a dodgy area.  However, you do have to ask yourself why the prices are unbelievable. 
Buy somewhere you want to live and you're happy to drive home to. It's amazing how quickly you get used to the mortgage payments. 

Minder

Sister in law lives in Glenavy and it seems a nice enough spot, not a big pile in it but then it isn't a big town.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Gs Man

qwerty, can you kick decent ball at all?

If so, Aghagallon's your spot.  £30 quid a year club membership too.
Keep 'er lit

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: MoChara on June 08, 2017, 10:19:19 AM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on June 08, 2017, 02:25:01 AM
continue saving for 10 years and to hell with the mortgage, just buy the house outright, will work out way cheaper

I'm genuinely unsure if you're being serious or not lol

LOL seriously there is absolutely no reason why someone on a decent wage, 25 grand say, can't save 10 grand a year.

if they want to of course.

if there are 2 of you in 10 years you are mortgage free with a 200k house.

there are sacrifices obviously but you will be amazed how quickly capital builds up with discipline.

haranguerer

Of course you can, then you look back in ten years and say, f**k I've wasted ten years of my life. You have to live too.

For what its worth I'd be considering Carryduff strongly in your position - I assume there are good reasons why you mentioned the areas you did, but just in case

TabClear

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on June 08, 2017, 02:45:29 PM
Quote from: MoChara on June 08, 2017, 10:19:19 AM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on June 08, 2017, 02:25:01 AM
continue saving for 10 years and to hell with the mortgage, just buy the house outright, will work out way cheaper

I'm genuinely unsure if you're being serious or not lol

LOL seriously there is absolutely no reason why someone on a decent wage, 25 grand say, can't save 10 grand a year.

if they want to of course.

if there are 2 of you in 10 years you are mortgage free with a 200k house.

there are sacrifices obviously but you will be amazed how quickly capital builds up with discipline.

Thats ambitious! £25k is about £20k take home with no pension payments. Saying minimum monthly outgoings of £300k for rent/rates (assuming you are sharing a house and not living at home), £100 for car/travel, £200 for groceries, £100 utilities. That leaves you with about £13k left and you have not set foot out the door.  I think I am being very conservative on the car/groceries/utilities. No clothes/holidays etc included either. Thats all fine for maybe one year but longterm?

I know you could live on beans and toast etc as a student/graduate but for ten years?? Also, if your going to live like this you can factor in nappies, baby wipes etc after about 9 months because you have fcuk all else entertainment budgeted for!  ;D

So yes, theoretically you might be able to but in real terms no way.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Rois on June 08, 2017, 11:35:23 AM
From Fortwilliam Park outwards is what I class as the nicer areas.  No flags unless you go to the bottom towards the Shore Road.

Lansdowne Road/Park, Somerton Road, Bristol Av, Taunton Av, Downview, Innisfayle, Parkmount, Waterloo.  Quite a few houses around that area I find are in need of modern decoration but the size of the gardens mean you could really do a lot to it over the medium term.  There's a pretty tidy looking (small) detached house in Lansdowne Drive for £160k which I think looks good value.

I'm looking round at the minute, and I am def including that area in my search.   

The schools in the area are nice, and I'll be honest, it feels like there's a strong nationalist demographic around that particular part, although it is not outwardly visible, so I feel really comfortable.   

Completely agree Rois and that's not even including the lovely walks up round the cave hill and the Castle. Even off the cavehill road can be nice so long as you stay above the Waterworks. Schools are amazing, daughter in Dominican and son in Park Lodge. As good a schools as you could want.

Orior

Quote from: Rois on June 08, 2017, 11:01:13 AM

I'd also discount the two you've already said have bad opinions.  Newtownabbey is a bit of a nothing and Carrick is a black hole.  I think Glengormley would be a much nicer place to live.  I have no real opinion on Glenavy but it's not an extension of Belfast the way Gleng would be.

I am a big champion of North Belfast for affordable but nice and also very handy for transport links and walkable to the city centre in about 40 mins.  Without knowing your budget, you can get some nicely refurbed semis around Lansdowne Road area for really decent prices and most of them have generous gardens

Didn't realise you worked for an estate agent.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

delgany

Glengormley is also Baltic ....for about 10 months of the year

Rois

Quote from: Orior on June 08, 2017, 03:33:34 PM

Didn't realise you worked for an estate agent.
Too cheesy?  I've been reading too many property news adverts.

Seriously though, lots of those older houses built up the hill in that area have really big gardens that can be extended into.  Apart from my 2007-built house off Fortwilliam that had a postage stamp garden til I paved over it.