First time buyers advice

Started by qwerty123, June 08, 2017, 12:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qwerty123

I have been trying to save for a deposit on a house for a few years now and have got to an amount that I'd be happy enough with. I'm undefined about where I should buy though. Whether it's where i live now or somewhere closer to Belfast although i wouldn't be sure of the areas and if the properties would hold their value. Especially as property prices seem to be on the rise right now.
Anyone's thoughts on these areas? Some great houses but then the areas don't look great sometimes.
Newtownabbey
Glengormley
Carrickfergus
Glenavy

I don't know whether to go for somewhere smaller and slightly cheaper (with the thought of selling and moving if i was to build a family) or take a long term view (potential family etc) and go for a bigger and more expensive place now and buy as if this is where I'll live for 30 years.

Any advice would be great!

FL/MAYO

Mikhail Prokhorov

continue saving for 10 years and to hell with the mortgage, just buy the house outright, will work out way cheaper

omochain

Location, location, location. Just buy as much house as you can afford at the lowest fixed interest rate you can get in the place where you most want to live.

Dougal Maguire

That guy is right. It's all about location. Buy what you can afford in a good area with a view to moving in a few years when your circumstances change ie. when you can afford a move up. If you're in a good area there's always strong demand for first time buyer homes so hopefully you'll make some profit which you offset against your next home. But don't wait much longer because if you're paying rent it's lost money. Good luck.
Careful now

seafoid

Don't buy expecting prices to rise. Because the economy is not going anywhere . Get the best interest rate deal so you don't waste money. Sometimes an up and coming area may be better. If young people like you are moving in there can be a good dynamic.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

delgany

Of the 4 areas    glenavy is the strongest from a gaa community perspective .  The rest are all shitholes.....

Last Man

Quote from: delgany on June 08, 2017, 07:07:34 AM
Of the 4 areas    glenavy is the strongest from a gaa community perspective .  The rest are all shitholes.....
I think youll find a bigger club in Glengormley no offence to Glenavy. In terms of transport links to anywhere and choice in general "shit hole is hardly a fair assessment.

qwerty123

I've mostly read bad opinions on places like Newtownabbey and Carrickfergus and while some of the houses there I do like it would put me off buying if they were held in bad regard. I presume these are places to avoid or have you other thoughts?

What places are up and coming? The area I live in is nice enough but prices can be expensive enough.

It's beginning to frustrate as to what to do...stick and save a little longer or buy something although not wishing to compromise too much on location.

DennistheMenace

Can you afford anywhere in South Belfast? Ravenhill, Finaghy, Rosetta?

House Prices are more expensive but will certainly hold their value much better.

MoChara

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on June 08, 2017, 02:25:01 AM
continue saving for 10 years and to hell with the mortgage, just buy the house outright, will work out way cheaper

I'm genuinely unsure if you're being serious or not lol

Orior

Quote from: qwerty123 on June 08, 2017, 08:38:48 AM
I've mostly read bad opinions on places like Newtownabbey and Carrickfergus and while some of the houses there I do like it would put me off buying if they were held in bad regard. I presume these are places to avoid or have you other thoughts?

What places are up and coming? The area I live in is nice enough but prices can be expensive enough.

It's beginning to frustrate as to what to do...stick and save a little longer or buy something although not wishing to compromise too much on location.

Neither Newtownabbey nor Carrickfergus residents look kindly on anyone carrying a hurl.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Esmarelda

Make sure your house is facing North or North/East so you get the little sunshine there is in your back garden in the evening.

Rois

Quote from: qwerty123 on June 08, 2017, 08:38:48 AM

I'd also discount the two you've already said have bad opinions.  Newtownabbey is a bit of a nothing and Carrick is a black hole.  I think Glengormley would be a much nicer place to live.  I have no real opinion on Glenavy but it's not an extension of Belfast the way Gleng would be.

I am a big champion of North Belfast for affordable but nice and also very handy for transport links and walkable to the city centre in about 40 mins.  Without knowing your budget, you can get some nicely refurbed semis around Lansdowne Road area for really decent prices and most of them have generous gardens. 

tintin25

Quote from: qwerty123 on June 08, 2017, 12:10:02 AM
I have been trying to save for a deposit on a house for a few years now and have got to an amount that I'd be happy enough with. I'm undefined about where I should buy though. Whether it's where i live now or somewhere closer to Belfast although i wouldn't be sure of the areas and if the properties would hold their value. Especially as property prices seem to be on the rise right now.
Anyone's thoughts on these areas? Some great houses but then the areas don't look great sometimes.
Newtownabbey
Glengormley
Carrickfergus
Glenavy

I don't know whether to go for somewhere smaller and slightly cheaper (with the thought of selling and moving if i was to build a family) or take a long term view (potential family etc) and go for a bigger and more expensive place now and buy as if this is where I'll live for 30 years.

Any advice would be great!

In the exact same position as yourself.  Mortgage in Principle sorted so now the search really starts.  I would prefer South Belfast i.e Ormeau Road area but there isn't alot of choice there at the moment (affordable for my budget anyway).  Definitely agree with comments re location, as I have seen some houses that look really nice and affordable but when you check the streetview there's a union jack flying outside on the lamp post.  You basically have to weigh up the pros and cons of living in/out of the city....there are better houses on the outskirts but then there is the hassle of hitting the Westlink or whatever on the way to/form work, esp if you work in the city centre.