Bike Racks & Roof Boxes

Started by Karl Kennedy, July 04, 2017, 03:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Kennedy

Folks hoping to buy a bike rack and roof rack for the holidays

Any suggestions on what would be and are the best

1. Tow bar mounted bike racks for possibly 4 bikes

2. Roof racks

Are Halfords the best supplier for both?

maddog

Quote from: Karl Kennedy on July 04, 2017, 03:25:12 PM

2. Roof racks

I have a roof mounted one that I got off ebay for next to nothing. There is quite a bit of drag off it though and will mess with your MPG. But it is rock solid. I intend getting the one that is tow bar mounted maybe when I change motor next. Don't get the one that straps on to the boot of a hatchback. They are pretty crap and you spend half your time checking that the thing is actually still attached. Plus for 4 bikes there would be a lot of scratches to the bikes. Halfords is the devil you have to deal with unfortunately

Karl Kennedy

I definitely think I will go with the tow bar mounted bike rake. Probably more money but probably the most secure and easiest to manage. Is there no one else but Halfords that does it?

Roof boxes for holidays which would be the best option to go for there?
Is Thule the best brand?

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

punt kick

Quote from: maddog on July 04, 2017, 03:34:18 PM
Quote from: Karl Kennedy on July 04, 2017, 03:25:12 PM

2. Roof racks

I have a roof mounted one that I got off ebay for next to nothing. There is quite a bit of drag off it though and will mess with your MPG. But it is rock solid. I intend getting the one that is tow bar mounted maybe when I change motor next. Don't get the one that straps on to the boot of a hatchback. They are pretty crap and you spend half your time checking that the thing is actually still attached. Plus for 4 bikes there would be a lot of scratches to the bikes. Halfords is the devil you have to deal with unfortunately

I learned that the hard way - with two bikes!

Hereiam

Can anyone recommend a decent roof box

J70

The Thule brand is the one you see, almost exclusively, here in the States. Think they're Swedish, so I'd imagine they're easy to get in Ireland too.

Main Street

Quote from: Karl Kennedy on July 05, 2017, 08:20:27 PM
I definitely think I will go with the tow bar mounted bike rake. Probably more money but probably the most secure and easiest to manage. Is there no one else but Halfords that does it?

Roof boxes for holidays which would be the best option to go for there?
Is Thule the best brand?
Thule tow bar racks are excellent build quality, light  easy to use.
I have the cheapest  2 bike tow bar rack (Thule 970 express) and it's fit for purpose  even though it's a tight squeeze for 2 adult bikes, but it's doable when I use extra straps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H6UyNjWJmI
In retrospect, the protruding bar that you hang the bicycles on, needed to be a bit longer for easier use.

They make a similar type to handle 4 bikes, I have no experience of this one.
https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/bike-rack/towbar-bike-racks/thule-hangon-4-_-970805
I'd imagine there would be a dangling issue :)  and you'd have to secure the bikes from dangling with extra straps.

Of course you can pay more for better and there are other manufacturers.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: J70 on July 06, 2017, 11:52:03 AM
The Thule brand is the one you see, almost exclusively, here in the States. Think they're Swedish, so I'd imagine they're easy to get in Ireland too.
Thule widely available in Halfords in the black north.

saffronandblue

Try www.micksgarage.com they should have a decent collection and can deliver to your door within 24hrs.  Decent lads too and are proud sponsors of my local club, Knockmore😃

Eamonnca1

Quote from: maddog on July 04, 2017, 03:34:18 PM
Don't get the one that straps on to the boot of a hatchback. They are pretty crap and you spend half your time checking that the thing is actually still attached.

Hear hear. I once had to pull over on the freeway to reattach one of those cheap and awful pieces of crap that had come loose. Plus the sponge things rubbed some paint off my boot. Investing in a towbar mounted rack was the best move I made. Plus you don't have to worry about overhead structures.