Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 13, 2021, 08:21:11 AM
There isn't buy in at all from the county board in  Derry for county hurling and then they have a dual split as well.

Dunloy in the hurling and Loughgiel in the camogie just can't get the measure of Slaughtneil at all.

I actually think despite being Dunly much superior in Antrim teams like Cushendall would do better against Slaughtneil as they're more physical.

Didn't get to see the game as I was taking the kids to see Santa..

is there anywhere you can watch it again?

SNeill are the real deal hurling wise and have been for quite a while and Dunloy have been getting beat by them since minor club championships back 5 odd yrs ago.
Lazy analysis just to be putting it down to physicality only, they've some fine hurlers in their midst.

imtommygunn

There is more to it than that I know but I do think it's something Dunloy struggle with.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 13, 2021, 09:04:55 AM
There is more to it than that I know but I do think it's something Dunloy struggle with.

Need a big Dominic McMullan type enforcer in their ranks, eh?

imtommygunn

Antrim in general struggle for big physical players and it hurts a lot playing down south when you have big physical guys who can play too.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 13, 2021, 09:14:09 AM
Antrim in general struggle for big physical players and it hurts a lot playing down south when you have big physical guys who can play too.

Was speaking to some former Ballycran hurlers of yesteryear on friday night (we were giving blood  :D  ) and both felt they've a better chance against SNeill from a psychological perspective as they've beaten them before but Dunloy have given them some big beatings in the league in the last few years.

My take on Ballycran is that they do have some big, physical lads especially in their forwards but IMO don't use their size enough and maybe not prepared to take that bit of a flake to get past a defender and go for the rigging.
They play a direct enough game themselves and go long to the big lad Arthurs on the edge of the square who probably doesn't hold onto enough ball that he should but a fair bit comes off him for Egan and probably a young lad Clarke just out of minor to work from in and around that area. Gazza's two lads are good at hoovering up ball in and around the middle, both lightish though and not inclined to break tackles much.

If Ballycran are to make a shape of it then they'll need a goal or two as I don't see them having the out and out defenders to stop big Rodgers and the likes, Woods is a hurling centre back, he's not going to put a runner coming through the middle on their arse, similarly the two Ennis' are the same, stiffler might though if pushed enough. They'll need to play on the edge but not over it come Sunday but SNeill hold all the aces and if they get a run on Ballycran as expected, it could be another 7 to 10 point win for them.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

MR2-pm'd you there lad

Milltown Row2

Strange pairing for tonight's Mageean Cup final, Red High V St Mary's
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rogercasement

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 17, 2021, 02:27:46 PM

Very strange as it's St Pat's Red High play!

johnnycool

Quote from: rogercasement on December 17, 2021, 02:33:02 PM

50/50 game IMO going by how close the last encounter was.

barnish oggie

last minute goal got red high through to the final over St Louis who will be kicking themselves with the second half performance

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rogercasement on December 17, 2021, 02:33:02 PM

Yeah I'd thought I typed st Pats! Long week lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Red high win the mageean. They were down by quite a lot early on too. Good to see someone different on the winners list.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 17, 2021, 09:03:44 PM
Red high win the mageean. They were down by quite a lot early on too. Good to see someone different on the winners list.

What clubs make team up

imtommygunn

A load of portaferry ones, castlewellan have improved too so they have a right few and a few carryduff I think. I am sure there are others but I think portaferry and castlewellan were the main contributors. Jc would know better.

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/hurlingandcamogie/2021/12/14/news/red-high-s-date-with-destiny-has-been-decades-in-the-making-2534658/

The picture has the club tops. I wouldn't know a few of the club tops tbh but looks like portaferry, castlewellan, a ballycran one or two, maybe a ballygalget one or two, a carryduff one then a few others.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Very good,Derry pulling from far more clubs

Lynches, Lavey , swa, Slaughtneil, screen, Creggan , Banagher