The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

Quote from: LeoMc on March 07, 2024, 12:29:24 PMThe key will be the 2 VP nominees. It will be those 2 finishing out the term in the hot seat.

Is Harris a shoe in for the Dem VP or do Presidents often change VP nominees ahead of 2nd term?
Changing VP has happened occasionally in the past, but not recently. There is no chance Biden will drop Harris.

clonian

Quote from: dec on March 07, 2024, 03:42:03 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on March 07, 2024, 12:29:24 PMThe key will be the 2 VP nominees. It will be those 2 finishing out the term in the hot seat.

Is Harris a shoe in for the Dem VP or do Presidents often change VP nominees ahead of 2nd term?
Changing VP has happened occasionally in the past, but not recently. There is no chance Biden will drop Harris.

The talk at the time was she would take over half way through this current term because he was too old to finish the time out and here we are with the same candidates again. Both should be at home (or in a home) with their feet up ffs.

J70

Quote from: dec on March 07, 2024, 03:42:03 PM

And in terms of viability, it doesn't matter at all who Trump selects. Despite Trump's enormous personality and charisma, Pence did matter in 2016, because Trump was trying to shore up the christian right vote and needed Pence's perceived piety to offset his own coarse vulgarity. Now they worship him more than Jesus. I'd say his VP pick will be among the most inconsequential ever!

J70

Quote from: seafoid on March 07, 2024, 01:48:30 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on March 07, 2024, 09:01:40 AM
Quote from: bannside on March 07, 2024, 07:06:57 AM"I've said this before here, probably on this thread, but I've a cousin who lives in Florida and who is a mild Trumper. They came to NYC last year for Paddy's Day, but they were telling me that their friends were pleading with them not to go. The friends were genuinely terrified that my cousin wouldn't make it out of NYC alive, such was the barrage of nonsense circulating through the right wing media about the safety of NYC and other large "Democratic" cities. Never mind that crime rates are historically low, that NYC is among the safest large cities in the US, and that millions of New Yorkers go about their daily lives without incident. All lies and bullshit to those who consume right wing media and political discourse." Quote.

I've absolutely no skin in the game  think America is nuts tbh, and rotten to the core.  Both political parties controlled blackmailed or bought out by Israelis and its been that way for decades.

My daughter and son in law spent 5 days in NYC just a few weeks ago. They did all the major sights and attractions which were fine, but said that there was proper menace on every sidestreet, junkies popping out everywhere, looking like zombies. They felt like they were being followed and said it was a very unpleasant experience, because it was not an isolated thing, it was everywhere! And neither of them are shrinking violets!

Surely America can do better than put up a pervert and multiple charge sheet narcissist  and an octogenarian who sadly has lost his way. I've zero intention ever to go near the place tbh...

It is a damning indictment of the state of America at present that this is all they have to offer as the respective nominees from their parties.
The political process is owned by the plutocrats. Trump has more superpac money than Haley. Haley is coherent and Trump has dementia but Trump won because of the superpacs. they were introduced under OBAMA with Citizens Unlimited and are allowed unlimited money . so it's down to a handful of billionaires who control politics in the US. They want Israel and no taxes on wealth .

Haley controls between 25 and 30% of GOP votes. People who cannot stomach trump. The double haters.- they also hate Biden. In the Democratic party, 100'000 voted against Biden in the Michigan Primary. There is no representation for most people.

Michigan, which has a significant Muslim population, was a protest vote about Gaza. If that is still a live issue in the autumn, Biden is in huge trouble. Those Muslim and ultra-progressive voters won't vote for Trump, but they could stay home. The Democratic Party is a coalition of many different interests, all mainly united by their opposition to the christian nationalism of the GOP.

clonian

Quote from: J70 on March 07, 2024, 05:26:29 PM
Quote from: bannside on March 07, 2024, 07:06:57 AM"I've said this before here, probably on this thread, but I've a cousin who lives in Florida and who is a mild Trumper. They came to NYC last year for Paddy's Day, but they were telling me that their friends were pleading with them not to go. The friends were genuinely terrified that my cousin wouldn't make it out of NYC alive, such was the barrage of nonsense circulating through the right wing media about the safety of NYC and other large "Democratic" cities. Never mind that crime rates are historically low, that NYC is among the safest large cities in the US, and that millions of New Yorkers go about their daily lives without incident. All lies and bullshit to those who consume right wing media and political discourse." Quote.

I've absolutely no skin in the game  think America is nuts tbh, and rotten to the core.  Both political parties controlled blackmailed or bought out by Israelis and its been that way for decades.

My daughter and son in law spent 5 days in NYC just a few weeks ago. They did all the major sights and attractions which were fine, but said that there was proper menace on every sidestreet, junkies popping out everywhere, looking like zombies. They felt like they were being followed and said it was a very unpleasant experience, because it was not an isolated thing, it was everywhere! And neither of them are shrinking violets!

Surely America can do better than put up a pervert and multiple charge sheet narcissist  and an octogenarian who sadly has lost his way. I've zero intention ever to go near the place tbh...

It is a damning indictment of the state of America at present that this is all they have to offer as the respective nominees from their parties.
The political process is owned by the plutocrats. Trump has more superpac money than Haley. Haley is coherent and Trump has dementia but Trump won because of the superpacs. they were introduced under OBAMA with Citizens Unlimited and are allowed unlimited money . so it's down to a handful of billionaires who control politics in the US. They want Israel and no taxes on wealth .

Haley controls between 25 and 30% of GOP votes. People who cannot stomach trump. The double haters.- they also hate Biden. In the Democratic party, 100'000 voted against Biden in the Michigan Primary. There is no representation for most people.

Michigan, which has a significant Muslim population, was a protest vote about Gaza. If that is still a live issue in the autumn, Biden is in huge trouble. Those Muslim and ultra-progressive voters won't vote for Trump, but they could stay home. The Democratic Party is a coalition of many different interests, all mainly united by their opposition to the christian nationalism of the GOP.

Trump would be doing the exact same thing in Gaza though.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on March 07, 2024, 05:26:29 PM

There is a huge cohort of Progressives such as Susan Sarandon who are putting pressure on the Dems.
The longer Israel continues to deterorate, the more pressure
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

It's sad that a great nation such as the USA has given its people a choice between Trump and Biden. Like how on earth did it come down to these two.

tiempo

The situation in Israel is being used to influence the outcome of the US election and to get Trump back into power, when he gets in hostilities will scale down and he'll be hailed as a peace broker, on the face of it Gaza will enter a period of respite care, in reality as the eyes of the world train their focus elsewhere the Israeli gov will continue to turn the screw in mendacious and unfathomably cruel ways to complete the genocide/extermination they have in mind

Reminds me how anti-Semitism was the schtick used to eviscerate Corbyn, the game is rigged

JoG2

Quote from: tiempo on March 08, 2024, 11:04:43 AMThe situation in Israel is being used to influence the outcome of the US election and to get Trump back into power, when he gets in hostilities will scale down and he'll be hailed as a peace broker, on the face of it Gaza will enter a period of respite care, in reality as the eyes of the world train their focus elsewhere the Israeli gov will continue to turn the screw in mendacious and unfathomably cruel ways to complete the genocide/extermination they have in mind

Reminds me how anti-Semitism was the schtick used to eviscerate Corbyn, the game is rigged

Completely rigged. Genocide Joe sees a voter backlash re their involvement in arming and supporting Israel, is now building a US base in Gaza to protect the humanitarian aid. Will see how that goes

J70

Quote from: trailer on March 08, 2024, 10:39:53 AMIt's sad that a great nation such as the USA has given its people a choice between Trump and Biden. Like how on earth did it come down to these two.

The irony is that either of them would lose to just about any other reasonably plausible candidate the other party threw up.

But it's no mystery why the GOP base wants Trump. He is the personified result of two generations of evolution of that party, nurtured and driven by it's media. It's little more than a personality cult now. They had very viable alternatives such as DeSantis (w**ker though he is) or Haley or Youngkin, who would have brought much the same politics without all the corruption and baggage. They didn't want them.

Biden... he was supposed to be a once-off, centrist crisis solution to get rid of Trump. Nobody signed up for eight years. Unfortunately, there is no mechanism like in parliamentary politics to force him out.