Am I a GAA bigot?

Yes
16 (64%)
No
9 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 25

seafoid

Quote from: LeoMc on January 29, 2015, 12:21:25 PM
Have we defined what a GAA bigot is yet?
The majortiy of replies have been along the lines of "I eat, sleep and breathe GAA, it consumes much of my life but I enjoy watching other sports. Even answers such as "I dont see the appeal of Socceer but I watch MOTD". IMO that woudl nto make you a GAA bigot.

To my mind A GAA bigots answer would be more along the lines of "I eat, sleep and breathe GAA, it consumes much of my life, I don't follow any other sports and it grinds my gears that someone who professes to like GAA would dare to like another sport" adn so far only the OP has met that criteria.
One of my teachers at national school was. It was in 81 when the superstars were on and Spillane won the Irish version. I think Mark Lawrenson was poor on the chin-ups and the day after he told us in class that soccer players like Lawrenson were paid money but had very weak arms unlike Gaelic footballers.

there were other insights as well. I think it's located somewhere in cultural inferiority syndrome. 

The teacher the year after was much more ecumenical   

deiseach

I remember the build-up on RTÉ to Ireland's first ever World Cup finals game against the Sassenachs and they went to a primary school in Kerry where everyone was naturally very excited. One teacher in a brown suit wasn't buying into it though. He grumbled through a fixed grin about it being important but what about Jack O'Shea's Army? At the time I thought he was a dinosaur, not unlike Jack O'Shea at that stage of his career, but in retrospect I'd be inclined to admire his refusal to accept that soccer was about to sweep all before it in a World Cup-inspired tsunami. I often think that the Dublin-Meath saga the following year was a deliberate ploy on the part of the GAA to show what really mattered to the plain people of Ireland.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 29, 2015, 03:20:06 PM
No it wasn't. Dublin Meath was 1991. I remember because we played Dublin in the minor that year and it was in Croke Park because they were beaten by Meath. That was the day of the famous Louth and LAois row.

You are indeed correct, I stand corrected.

In hindsight my post is full of shít, not for the first time  ;D

5 Sams

Not sure if I'm bigot or not but I love winding people up. When people ask me if I saw the Utd/City or whatever match was on at the weekend I would say "Nah I prefer the football myself." ;)
The Aristocrat Years

thewobbler

I love Gaelic Football.

But there's at least 10 other sports I'd watch ahead of hurling, and neither camogie nor handball is one of those.

Some people would find this heinous: "you call yourself a Gael???". Well as far as I'm concerned, those people can go and f**k themselves -  because zealotry is a very unpleasant human trait, regardless of what it is  they've chosen to get zealous about.

muppet

Quote from: thewobbler on January 29, 2015, 04:50:21 PM
I love Gaelic Football.

But there's at least 10 other sports I'd watch ahead of hurling, and neither camogie nor handball is one of those.

Some people would find this heinous: "you call yourself a Gael???". Well as far as I'm concerned, those people can go and f**k themselves -  because zealotry is a very unpleasant human trait, regardless of what it is  they've chosen to get zealous about.

I don't get this 'Gael' or worse, 'fíorGhael' stuff.

I love my Gaelic Football and like AZOffaly said I would see it as part of my identity.

But I also watch just about anything else. Netball is the only thing I would absolutely rule out.
MWWSI 2017

theticklemister

Quote from: muppet on January 29, 2015, 05:21:51 PM
I love Gaelic Football.

I love my Gaelic Football and like AZOffaly said I would see it as part of my identity.

But I also watch just about anything else. Netball is the only thing I would absolutely rule out.

Netball has it's advantages

theticklemister

I thought that was Netball, obviously it is this I meant

seafoid

Quote from: theticklemister on January 29, 2015, 05:35:51 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 29, 2015, 05:21:51 PM
I love Gaelic Football.

Netball has it's advantages
that looks like a stray from the hooter thread

brokencrossbar1

You also get this on a netball court!!!

mylestheslasher

I expect some would consider me a GAA bigot, but I'm not. I enjoy a good game of soccer, snooker, darts or whatever. I appreciate the skill in it and I admire the best when they do what they do. But I tell you what I cannot stand. These f**king couch potatoes sitting in the pub in their "enter english soccer team name" jerseys, shouting and roaring at the TV. Going on about "we" this and "we" that about clubs that are limited companies, and how they hate the other limited company. "We" my hole, unless you are from a place or have lived there a long time it should be illegal to refer to that team as "we". These people should have a O Neills size 5 rammed up their holes.

theticklemister

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 29, 2015, 07:04:18 PM
I expect some would consider me a GAA bigot, but I'm not. I enjoy a good game of soccer, snooker, darts or whatever. I appreciate the skill in it and I admire the best when they do what they do. But I tell you what I cannot stand. These f**king couch potatoes sitting in the pub in their "enter english soccer team name" jerseys, shouting and roaring at the TV. Going on about "we" this and "we" that about clubs that are limited companies, and how they hate the other limited company. "We" my hole, unless you are from a place or have lived there a long time it should be illegal to refer to that team as "we". These people should have a O Neills size 5 rammed up their holes.

Thats the spirit.

theskull1

Quote from: theticklemister on January 29, 2015, 07:16:48 PM

Thats the spirit.

Wobbler mightn't, but I admire your zeal
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ardchieftain

I concur, this 'we' business really gets under my skin.

Throw ball

;D

Now how do you really feel?