What were your GAA highlights of the year ?

Started by seafoid, December 04, 2012, 03:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

1 Hardstation the night Antrim beat Galway
2 Burke's goal against the Cats in the Leinster final
3 The Larries beating Laois for the first time in 44 years   
4 Jimmy's press conference after the AIF
5 Ray Houghton calling Ger Canning Geoff   

Croí na hÉireann

Garrycastle getting to the club final and putting it up to the greatest club side (mark 2) in Croker.
Being there for Joe's salom past 5 cats the first day out.
GAA Beo.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

moysider

Syferus

It was a fantastic year for the Ros in general but the u21 AI final against Dublin showcased everything that is good about football, the u21 grade and Roscommon itself. Even in a losing effort it was a memorable day and a day to be proud of your county.

Outside of that the Mayo-Dublin game was prehaps the most perfect day I've every attended Croke Park. The weather was beautiful, the atmosphere was unbeatable (and having not attending many big Dublin games I found the Dubs to be fantastic lads in general) and the game was a see-saw match full of scoring and momentum changes. Some people said the other semi was better but I think this one was the no-contest game of the year.

theticklemister

Rousing a bar in Navan the day Derry beat Meath in the NFL (18th March) by singing a few songs from 'north of the border'. Actually that was a good week. Went to see the All-Ireland club final to witness a tour-de-force from Liasm Watson and then on the 19th went up to see the McLarnon and McRoary finals, but my old school got beat in the McLarnon final, well beat. Some week but!

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Farrandeelin on December 04, 2012, 06:40:20 PM
Quote from: moysider on December 04, 2012, 03:59:00 PM

Can t remember any. Nothing stands out.

+1.
Apart from reaching the All Ireland final and defeating the defending champions along the way?

Shamrock Shore

1. Beating Laois in Leinster
2. Beating Derry in AIQ

That's about it!

Orior

One highlight that comes to mind was seeing a young girl I recognised from my neighbourhood win an All-Ireland Junior Football medal.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hardy

Seamroga in exile

Not surprisingly, Loughgiel winning the All ireland.  ;D
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

BennyCake

Armagh beating Kerry in Tralee.

There wasn't much else to celebrate in Armagh this year.

Dubh driocht

Michael Murphy's goal in the final was pretty special, although you could have a thread entirely devoted to Tir Connail this year. Loughgiel on St Patrick's Day were superb champions. The worst of Down and the best of Down on the one day against Monaghan.

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 04, 2012, 08:35:19 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on December 04, 2012, 06:40:20 PM
Quote from: moysider on December 04, 2012, 03:59:00 PM

Can t remember any. Nothing stands out.

+1.
Apart from reaching the All Ireland final and defeating the defending champions along the way?

Nah. That was not a stretch - and the collapse in second half of semi was alarming.

But we fucked up the final again before it became a match. Sad thing is - again- it was avoidable.

cadence

the morning after the aif, hungover, getting the papers, having a fry up and a few pints with the lads to settle ourselves, added to the gentle satisfaction of winning it. doesn't get much better than that i reckon.