The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

I am not sure of the truth of the matter, but I was told by a contemporary of McIlroy on the amateur circuit that at 14 or so a consortium invested in him, paying his dad to manage him and provided money for coaching etc... In return for a share of the spoils when he made it. Sounds plausible.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 14, 2021, 09:44:49 AM
I am not sure of the truth of the matter, but I was told by a contemporary of McIlroy on the amateur circuit that at 14 or so a consortium invested in him, paying his dad to manage him and provided money for coaching etc... In return for a share of the spoils when he made it. Sounds plausible.

Happens is loads of sports, sponsors are found and it helps with their initial start up and there is a percentage then for these guys who had the faith to buy in at the start, while it mainly happens in motor sports, bikes and cars, I'm sure its happened in other sports .

Great investment for some if that's true for Rory
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Michael Bannon, Holywood GC, His parents and friends. Rory hasn't forgotten where he came from unlike Clarke for example.

He's one of Ireland's greatest sportspeople.

6th sam

Quote from: trailer on May 14, 2021, 12:29:56 PM
Michael Bannon, Holywood GC, His parents and friends. Rory hasn't forgotten where he came from unlike Clarke for example.

He's one of Ireland's greatest sportspeople.

Agreed, World no1 in one of the top sports. Delighted to see him back winning .

Boycey

US golf on early today because of incoming weather... Seamus Power currently joint 2nd after 7 holes. A top 5 for him be huge but a win would be life changing for a journey man pro

David McKeown

Would that not have adversely impacted his amateur status? 
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Boycey on May 16, 2021, 04:34:32 PM
US golf on early today because of incoming weather... Seamus Power currently joint 2nd after 7 holes. A top 5 for him be huge but a win would be life changing for a journey man pro
One bad hole undoing lots of good work. Let's hope he has a good finish for a big pay day

Boycey

Ah he's tied T10 now, not an insignificant payday but it could have been career changing.. I suppose there's a reason he's a journeyman too...

Applesisapples

Quote from: David McKeown on May 16, 2021, 05:39:55 PM

Would that not have adversely impacted his amateur status?
He wasn't paid to play, his dad was paid to manage his affairs I am led to believe.

lurganblue

PGA about to start then.  Predictions? Is McIlroy now ready to compete for a major again? He has won at Kiawah before of course.

Angelo

Will be great watching McIlroy fail again.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

screenexile

In the water first hole too!! Lol

Tony Baloney

Does McIlroy think it's Sunday already?!

JPGJOHNNYG

His first rounds in the majors since his last win are shocking. They showed at the last masters he is way over par for rounds 1 and way under par for the remaining 3 rounds. A good start is vital and I see he is already making a bit of meal of it.

Boycey

Yeah he's a shocking level par after 2 holes...