Free Staters and their hypocrisy on their violent, bloody past

Started by Angelo, May 11, 2021, 09:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

The Indo thread has gone off on a tangent.

The usual anti-SF trolls have tried to turn it into a Provo bashing thread but without addressing their hypocrisy on how they continue to ignore the barbaric, heinous and sectarian attacks the Old IRA committed in their fight for freedom and subsequent betrayal of the past.

Now we've seen the same guys in action - Seafoid, Mouview, Hound, Rossfan all jumping in with revisionism, all attacking the PIRA and The Troubles. All attempting to turn a thread on the bias and toxic nature of the Independent newspaper into a SF/PIRA bashing exercise. In the interest of balance it's important we flesh out their position on violent means to an end in terms with politics.

I don't expect any of these guys to participate in this thread as their sanctimony is hollow. They don't want to address the fact that the soapbox they use to show us how much morally superior than us "nordies" is hollow.

I think some of the comments today have been utterly disgraceful. I know I might piss an awful lot of some of you on here but surely you can recognise and appreciate the fact I am 100% right to call out these sad little people and their bigotry.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

smelmoth

It's no surprise that many in the south don't support the armed struggle of the past. Remember most catholics in the north didn't support it at the time.

Angelo

Quote from: smelmoth on May 11, 2021, 11:22:52 PM
It's no surprise that many in the south don't support the armed struggle of the past. Remember most catholics in the north didn't support it at the time.

Did you read the thread title? This is a thread about hoe FSers ignore their own violent and bloody past when moralising on The Troubles?

Not the first time something obvious went over your head.

smelmoth

Quote from: Angelo on May 11, 2021, 11:37:49 PM

Did you read the thread title? This is a thread about hoe FSers ignore their own violent and bloody past when moralising on The Troubles?

Look who has got their own wee thread and getting all protective of it.

My point is valid. It's no surprise that people in the south don't buy into the so called justifications of armed struggle in the north. As for the various armed struggles in the south not too many remember them or give them much thought. Ask anyone who was their favourite paedophile Roger Casement or Padraig Pearse and they will probably confess to knowing very little about either character. 100+ years can do that

Eamonnca1

Angelo

Quote from: smelmoth on May 11, 2021, 11:50:35 PM

My point is valid. It's no surprise that people in the south don't buy into the so called justifications of armed struggle in the north. As for the various armed struggles in the south not too many remember them or give them much thought. Ask anyone who was their favourite paedophile Roger Casement or Padraig Pearse and they will probably confess to knowing very little about either character. 100+ years can do that

So we have ignorant free staters passing judgement on a conflict that never impacted them but can't be bothered to do their own history on the founding fathers of their state and the political parties they vote into power?

You keep wanting to discuss the north. This thread is about the bloody violence free staters engaged in to win their own freedom and I haven't heard the same condemnation or seen the mass hand wringing about the numbers they disappeared, the sectarian murders they committed, the elected politicians they assassinated.

Odd that in a thread about that you want to detract away from it.

shark

People generally don't care as much about things they can't remember happening. The guys you're arguing with on the other thread (one presumes) are old enough to remember the worst of the troubles. They don't like being reminded of it by the likes of Cullinane. They are not old enough to remember the war of independence. In fact, even their grandparents might not have been born yet. Sinn Fein have no bother getting votes, right across the country, from those under 30. They don't remember the troubles.
It really could be as simple as that.

Angelo

Quote from: shark on May 12, 2021, 07:23:25 AM
People generally don't care as much about things they can't remember happening. The guys you're arguing with on the other thread (one presumes) are old enough to remember the worst of the troubles. They don't like being reminded of it by the likes of Cullinane. They are not old enough to remember the war of independence. In fact, even their grandparents might not have been born yet. Sinn Fein have no bother getting votes, right across the country, from those under 30. They don't remember the troubles.
It really could be as simple as that.

So ignorance is bliss for a free staters? They also have an arrogance to pass judgement on a conflict that did not have a bearing on their day to day lives.

Yesterday on a day when a public finding found the Ballymurphy 10 were innocent, the leader of the Free State was at a graveyard giving a glowing commemoration to IRA killer Sean Lemass. Odd that none of them are outraged about that but do find David Cullinane's comments so outrageous.

shark

I would say ignorance is bliss for most people on the planet. Most people only read what they want to read - they only have one life after all. Cullinane got (some) people's back up because he acted like a teenager after a few cans. The vast majority of SF TDs elected that day acted like adults, and the politicians that they are.
If you ask most people what do they know about Sean Lemass they'll either say "nothing" or "free education". As I said above, most people care about today and tomorrow. Yesterday is not so important. Not everyone is interested in history.

Angelo

Quote from: shark on May 12, 2021, 07:36:09 AM
I would say ignorance is bliss for most people on the planet. Most people only read what they want to read - they only have one life after all. Cullinane got (some) people's back up because he acted like a teenager after a few cans. The vast majority of SF TDs elected that day acted like adults, and the politicians that they are.
If you ask most people what do they know about Sean Lemass they'll either say "nothing" or "free education". As I said above, most people care about today and tomorrow. Yesterday is not so important. Not everyone is interesting in history.

Micheal Martin would know about Lemass. If he has such a contention to achieving political aims by violent means then why was he eulogising an IRA killer yesterday.

I'd imagine most people on here would have heard of Sean Lemass and be aware of the fact he was an IRA gunman.

I would say that for some on here ignorance is a convenience. There is agenda at play, they want to get righteousness and sanctimonious about The Troubles but don't seem to have any contention about their own bloody past. Ignorance can't be cited here, they are aware of it but want to ignore it.

smelmoth

Quote from: Angelo on May 12, 2021, 06:47:50 AM

So we have ignorant free staters passing judgement on a conflict that never impacted them but can't be bothered to do their own history on the founding fathers of their state and the political parties they vote into power?

You keep wanting to discuss the north. This thread is about the bloody violence free staters engaged in to win their own freedom and I haven't heard the same condemnation or seen the mass hand wringing about the numbers they disappeared, the sectarian murders they committed, the elected politicians they assassinated.

Like it or not but your own thread is about the north. You say that "freestaters" exhibit "hypocrisy" when dealing with their own violent. For it to be hypocrisy it has to be at odds with their attittude to another violent conflict. Its seemed fairly obvious that the other conflict you were in inferring was the troubles in NI. Indeed one poster stated

This is a thread about hoe FSers ignore their own violent and bloody past when moralising on The Troubles?

So absolutely the troubles in NI are at the heart of this thread (your thread!).

So no detraction. Keep up the qood work champion

trailer

Angelo

Quote from: smelmoth on May 12, 2021, 08:23:21 AM

Like it or not but your own thread is about the north. You say that "freestaters" exhibit "hypocrisy" when dealing with their own violent. For it to be hypocrisy it has to be at odds with their attittude to another violent conflict. Its seemed fairly obvious that the other conflict you were in inferring was the troubles in NI. Indeed one poster stated

This is a thread about hoe FSers ignore their own violent and bloody past when moralising on The Troubles?

So absolutely the troubles in NI are at the heart of this thread (your thread!).

No you are trying to make this about the North.

This is about Free Staters being unwilling to address their own bloody and violent past. It's in the thread title, so you must be illiterate if you can't make that out.

Itchy

Quote from: Angelo on May 12, 2021, 08:54:43 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 12, 2021, 08:23:21 AM

No you are trying to make this about the North.

This is about Free Staters being unwilling to address their own bloody and violent past. It's in the thread title, so you must be illiterate if you can't make that out.

Putting aside your stupid use of the term Free Staters, is it not fair to say - on this board at least, that you are referring to 3/4 people when this thread reads like everyone south of the border is avoiding our bloody past.

bennydorano

Cognitive Dissonance. Makes all our lives more liveable.