Working from Home?

Started by macker15, May 19, 2021, 10:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macker15

Does anyone know when working from is been brought into legislation? Our company is bringing everyone back in August. 200 in the building with no option to WFH.

screenexile

Consultation only finished beginning of May macker so I'd imagine it's not happening anytime soon although I did see something about it being introduced in September.

As well as that you've no idea what will be in it. There may be an obligation for the Employee to demonstrate they can reasonably complete their job description from home but the Employer may still have final say as to whether they will allow it to happen or not.

It's a tough call good luck with it.

bennydorano

Seems a very shortsighted approach in many ways. I doubt we've seen the end of Covid surges, even with Vaccines I'd say social distancing and WFH will be the cheap options employed to help combat surges.

JohnDenver

What line of work is it?

I think in general from what I've been hearing and what is applicable to myself - is that companies are open to being a lot more flexible. There used to be the argument that you almost couldn't be trusted to work from home, but that's been proven wrong for the majority over the past year.

If companies want to hold on to staff, they'll have to be flexible with their approach. Some people actively want to go back to the office, whereas others are the opposite.

macker15

Quote from: screenexile on May 19, 2021, 10:16:20 PM
Consultation only finished beginning of May macker so I'd imagine it's not happening anytime soon although I did see something about it being introduced in September.

As well as that you've no idea what will be in it. There may be an obligation for the Employee to demonstrate they can reasonably complete their job description from home but the Employer may still have final say as to whether they will allow it to happen or not.

It's a tough call good luck with it.

Thanks 👍

macker15

Quote from: JohnDenver on May 19, 2021, 10:59:55 PM
What line of work is it?

I think in general from what I've been hearing and what is applicable to myself - is that companies are open to being a lot more flexible. There used to be the argument that you almost couldn't be trusted to work from home, but that's been proven wrong for the majority over the past year.

If companies want to hold on to staff, they'll have to be flexible with their approach. Some people actively want to go back to the office, whereas others are the opposite.

Food Co. The building would be sales and admin. Can understand certain people need to be in but to have no flexibility regarding WFH is frustrating  . I think they may be waiting on the legislation?

screenexile

Quote from: macker15 on May 19, 2021, 11:05:13 PM
Quote from: JohnDenver on May 19, 2021, 10:59:55 PM
What line of work is it?

Food Co. The building would be sales and admin. Can understand certain people need to be in but to have no flexibility regarding WFH is frustrating  . I think they may be waiting on the legislation?

Are they not entertaining it at all? Have you had a conversation with them?

In fairness to where I work they made provision for anyone who wanted to work from home and only one person per office for those who stayed. I live 5mins away and couldn't hack wfh with the wife and kids there but since the kids have been back I've been working from home a day a week and I'd say a 3 day in 2 day home split will start becoming the norm whenever we do get back to normal.

tintin25

Been WFH since March last year - work in Financial Services in Belfast.  Been told that the bosses are looking 50% back in within the next month and the remainder likely when the government start encouraging people to go back.  Don't understand why they've taken this approach and not even allowed some flexibility for people to do a 3 day office week which would suit most.  Ultimately, it's a factor for many now and people will leave.

Tony Baloney

Our place has already formalised a "telecommuting" policy which will allow everyone who can do so, to work some time at home. I think it will range from 4 in/1 home for more senior people to 2 in/3 home for others. Of course it won't please everyone but it has been well received.

Captain Scarlet

Very lucky as I've been able to work from home since last March. A survey went round with most preferring 2-3 days in the office.

I had to go in for the full week recently and you don't get as much done to be honest and most people I know are working more hours these days, so you would think where possible employers would want to keep it that way.

Even for savings on heating offices and other services costs companies are saving money not having people in. I'd still like the odd day in just from a social point of view.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 20, 2021, 10:36:28 AM
Very lucky as I've been able to work from home since last March. A survey went round with most preferring 2-3 days in the office.

I had to go in for the full week recently and you don't get as much done to be honest and most people I know are working more hours these days, so you would think where possible employers would want to keep it that way.

Even for savings on heating offices and other services costs companies are saving money not having people in. I'd still like the odd day in just from a social point of view.

Ah come on now.....

HiMucker

The wife works for a mortgage company in derry, with a few hundred working there , the vast majority of which are in the call centre.  Since the start of covid the whole shebang has been working from home, bar a small team of 20, that have to be on site, due to posting and receiving mail. Now this was a place where ones would have been able to take the piss with sick days, and leaving early and that. She was at a meeting with the directors a month or so ago, and what they were told to their surprise was that productivity had not dropped at all with people WFH. Targets were still being met without managers breathing down peoples neck, projects were being completed quicker and sickness had dropped off a cliff. The company don't intend to bring people back anytime soon, but have asked for feedback in what people want. Most people want to go in the office a couple of days a week. I don't now why any company that has WFH capability won't embrace this going forward. Some forward thinking companies were already on to this and reaping the rewards long before covid.

general_lee

City/town centre economy will be hit long term if WFH becomes the norm.

Hound

Quote from: general_lee on May 20, 2021, 02:12:28 PM
City/town centre economy will be hit long term if WFH becomes the norm.
True. But local economies would benefit.

maddog

We have been told when we go back minimum expectation is one day per week in office. But its pretty flexible.