Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Sportacus

Quote from: trailer on August 02, 2021, 07:48:11 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on August 02, 2021, 07:03:43 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 02, 2021, 06:57:53 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on August 02, 2021, 06:41:35 PM
For me the answer is open draw knock-out Senior, Intermediate and Junior All Ireland's, same as clubs.  Lots of lads on here will have proudly won a Junior or Intermediate with their club and it's a stepping stone to the next level.  All Ireland B, Tailteann Cup etc just don't get me interested but if my county was in the Junior level and aiming for an All Ireland final in Croke Park then I'd be looking forward to it, plus can enjoy the big teams in the Senior as well knocking bells out of each other.  Keep the Provincials as separate competitions and use the leagues to determine who is at what level.

No. This definitely not the answer. We want more evenly matched games. Not less.
Don't think you've read it right, or else I haven't explained myself - 3 tiers, junior, intermediate and senior = more evenly matched games.

But still open draw knock out? Tyrone draw Dublin 1st round and one of them is out? Season over?
Tyrone get to play a full national league, likely in Div 1, an Ulster Championship (at least one game), and then All Ireland (at least one game), and with the thrill of knock out football and open draws - I'm ready for that, and it's at least one game more than most counties enjoy on a regular basis, plus very few hammerings.  Just my tuppence worth.

BennyCake

For me the answer is open draw knock-out Senior, Intermediate and Junior All Ireland's, same as clubs.  Lots of lads on here will have proudly won a Junior or Intermediate with their club and it's a stepping stone to the next level.  All Ireland B, Tailteann Cup etc just don't get me interested but if my county was in the Junior level and aiming for an All Ireland final in Croke Park then I'd be looking forward to it, plus can enjoy the big teams in the Senior as well knocking bells out of each other.  Keep the Provincials as separate competitions and use the leagues to determine who is at what level.

No. This definitely not the answer. We want more evenly matched games. Not less.
Don't think you've read it right, or else I haven't explained myself - 3 tiers, junior, intermediate and senior = more evenly matched games.

But still open draw knock out? Tyrone draw Dublin 1st round and one of them is out? Season over?

Yep.
That's how it should be.

trailer

Quote from: Sportacus on August 02, 2021, 08:01:14 PM

Tyrone get to play a full national league, likely in Div 1, an Ulster Championship (at least one game), and then All Ireland (at least one game), and with the thrill of knock out football and open draws - I'm ready for that, and it's at least one game more than most counties enjoy on a regular basis, plus very few hammerings.  Just my tuppence worth.

Yes, but also no. I'd be up for that but invert it and give Sam to the league winners.

yellowcard

Quote from: BennyCake on August 02, 2021, 08:03:45 PM

Yep.
That's how it should be.

Would agree with that. The League already provides plenty of games for the top sides to play each other so I've no interest in watching super 8 type drawn out structures without the cutting edge of knockout football. Also allows for a proper split season for club football to take place. It's the most sensible logical solution.

The problem will be in getting the provincial councils to agree to abolish the link between their championships and the AI series. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

Sportacus

Quote from: yellowcard on August 02, 2021, 08:09:39 PM

Yep.
That's how it should be.

Would agree with that. The League already provides plenty of games for the top sides to play each other so I've no interest in watching super 8 type drawn out structures without the cutting edge of knockout football. Also allows for a proper split season for club football to take place. It's the most sensible logical solution.

The problem will be in getting the provincial councils to agree to abolish the link between their championships and the AI series. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.
I honestly think there's enough honour baked into the provincial championships that they'd be fine.  Every team wants to give every competition a good rattle.  This way every county would be in at least two competitions which they'd have a chance of winning, and they get a free shot at their Province if they are a 'weaker county' - nothing to lose and a realistic route to climbing the ladder.

BennyCake

Quote from: Sportacus on August 02, 2021, 08:24:15 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 02, 2021, 08:09:39 PM

Yep.
That's how it should be.

I honestly think there's enough honour baked into the provincial championships that they'd be fine.  Every team wants to give every competition a good rattle.  This way every county would be in at least two competitions which they'd have a chance of winning, and they get a free shot at their Province if they are a 'weaker county' - nothing to lose and a realistic route to climbing the ladder.

As interesting and competitive as the league can be, the big teams at the top don't go at it flat out. Half arsed lineouts, players having a rest until the championship, once safety is achieved they can't be arsed etc. They seek the bigger prize, and by doing that, the league in reality is devalued. A league title means a lot less than it did.

manfromdelmonte

Look at the pathetic coverage of the three hurling finals this weekend.
That is where a Tier 2 football competition will end up.

Rossfan

Bet the 3 winning sides  aren't crying all weekend over the lack of coverage.
Apart from Offaly none of the other 5 hurling teams ever got much media coverage as they played their minority sport.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lenny

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 02, 2021, 08:59:20 PM

Their finals were at croke park which was a great bonus for the players. Have any of those counties ever had any kind of decent support for their hurlers? They haven't and that's why there would be no great interest in showing the matches on tv. It's different for football where counties at all levels can get big crowds for championship matches. There is a good interest in those counties and even neutrals could enjoy seeing them eg if Meath and Cork were playing in an All Ireland intermediate final or Offaly and Tipperary in an All Ireland junior final.

Farrandeelin

I was against tiered competitions until this year... especially the way Mayo hammered Sligo and Leitrim. However should Cork be excluded from tier 1 given the tanking they took from Kerry last week?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

dublin7

Mayo hurlers won at the weekend. How many people travelled down to that compared to the footballers?

The level of coverage was comparable to the level of interest to those teams.

How much coverage did the Wicklow, Waterford, Antrim footballers for example get on the Sunday Game for their games this season?

People claiming lack of media coverage for 2nd tier competitions seem to ignore smaller counties are more or less ignored as it is. At least if they got to a 2tier final they'd actually get some national coverage in the papers/tv

Armagh18

Rankings probably are Kerry and Dublin out on their own and will tank anyone else bar Mayo who you'd say would be close to the other 2 but also likely to be caught out by the lesser teams below them, the likes of the 4 Ulster semi finalists (Derry will be in this bracket soon if they keep improving), and Galway. Probably a bit further back would be the Kildares, the Meaths the Corks and Clares. The likes of these probably aren't tier one material but would be safer off playing each other in a meaningful championship game rather than getting whacked by Kerry or Dublin.

trailer

Quote from: dublin7 on August 02, 2021, 09:48:21 PM

Mayo hurlers won at the weekend. How many people travelled down to that compared to the footballers?

How much coverage did the Wicklow, Waterford, Antrim footballers for example get on the Sunday Game for their games this season?

People claiming lack of media coverage for 2nd tier competitions seem to ignore smaller counties are more or less ignored as it is. At least if they got to a 2tier final they'd actually get some national coverage in the papers/tv

I was in Croke park for Tyrone v Mayo and I didn't even watch it, yet some people want a full Sunday game analysis on it for the 6 people who'd tune in.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: trailer on August 02, 2021, 09:55:15 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 02, 2021, 09:48:21 PM

I was in Croke park for Tyrone v Mayo and I didn't even watch it, yet some people want a full Sunday game analysis on it for the 6 people who'd tune in.

What you go in for ? By the way great day for Keith Higgins , he certainly looked to be seeing the value Nicky Rackard.
These lads are what the GAA is all about , passion

TheGreatest

5th Time in 9 years its Dublin, Mayo , Kerry and Tyrone in the semis. Every second year since 2013. @fotoole13 in twitter.