AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Quote from: Hound on September 11, 2021, 07:25:22 PM
Quote from: Schkite on September 11, 2021, 06:44:51 PM
It's seems fairly mad that Tyrone are going to win Sam here and I wouldn't have had them near the top of the contenders this year, and I don't even think they were especially impressive today.

But at the end of the day they got through all their games, and they've certainly been the better team today. So it's not undeserved at all.
Absolutely deserving winners.

And must be some teams in Ulster especially who think they are very close to Tyrone. Teams who thought they were a million miles away from Sam and now might think it's something to realistically aim for.
I think Monaghan in particular will be kicking themselves. They gave Tyrone a head start and ended up only losing by a point when they really deserved at least a draw. That game and indeed the Kerry game was a lot closer than today.
Maybe we all ready too much into the Dublin game. Dublin had just ran out of steam. I expect they will be back next year with a chip on their shoulder

straightred

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on September 11, 2021, 07:30:15 PM
Taking off O'Hora instead of O'Shea was criminal. Horan has a lot to answer for yet again after a failed AI final.
OHora was on a yellow and getting precariously close to another one. I thought it was a good call. Doesn't excuse Leaving OShea on though. Nothing does.

red hander

Quote from: Nanderson on September 11, 2021, 08:26:57 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on September 11, 2021, 08:19:57 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on September 11, 2021, 07:51:55 PM
They never mentioned it in commentary or on rte at all but I thought Morgan was off his goal line before the penalty was taken. Should it not have been retaken?

You watch too much soccer.
They have a point
(b) For the goalkeeper defending a penalty kick to
move nearer than 11m before the kick is taken.
PENALTY -
If a goal is not scored, the referee shall
allow the penalty kick to be retaken.
Although i don't think i've ever seen it enforced in GAA

Look out. The Bottom Inspectors are in the building. Clench those cheeks.

grounded

The post match sky commentary was very interesting with Donaghy, McGuiness, WJ and Canavan. The loss to Kerry in Killarney seems to have been a massive turning point in their mindset.
       Gutted for Mayo and particularly for the likes of Lee Keegan but on the other hand seeing Petey Harte at the end with the child was very uplifting after the disappointments he has had.
       On another note I hope we keep the knockout all Ireland and forget this super 8(or similar) business.

Nanderson

Quote from: red hander on September 11, 2021, 08:34:55 PM
They never mentioned it in commentary or on rte at all but I thought Morgan was off his goal line before the penalty was taken. Should it not have been retaken?

They have a point
PENALTY -

What are you on about? Do you not want to know the rules?

straightred

Quote from: sid waddell on September 11, 2021, 08:07:20 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on September 11, 2021, 07:58:51 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 11, 2021, 07:56:12 PM
Worst final defeat ever. Mayo defeated themselves. They played the occasion, not the match.

I can only rationalise it by thinking that Mayo have Stockholm Syndrome and their identity is too attached to losing finals. This is one they should never have lost. They had the winning of that match and then some. They should have been winning it by seven or eight points.

All this has to stop. It's too painful for the rest of the country, never mind Mayo.

Tyrone are the most average team to win an All-Ireland for a loooong time.

What in the name of God are you on about. Tyrone were the far better team. This glorification of Mayo needs to stop. It really does. They were very average.
Mayo were comfortably the better team for the first 25 minutes and butchered two gilt edged goal chances. Again Mayo totally dominated the first 25 minutes of the second half and proceeded to butcher pretty much every chance they got, which was a lot. Tyrone got two sucker punch goals. Harte's mark was the key play in staving off a comeback.

Tyrone won because they made few mistakes. Mayo's game was a tale of utter butchery.

They may throw their collective hats at it now.
Sorry but this is miles off what happened. Tyrone were in control throughout. They did what they do. Defend in droves with discipline and then pick off scores on the break. They did it in the Donegal, Monaghan and Kerry games and did it again today. Mayo should have been ready for it but weren't. If anything Mayo got some handy enough frees which in many cases they didn't make much use off. Even the penalty came from a poorly kicked free kick. I think a good manager would get them closer. Build around the younger lads. They can't keep making the same mistakes every year and expect a different outcome.

nrico2006

Quote from: Nanderson on September 11, 2021, 08:38:10 PM
Quote from: red hander on September 11, 2021, 08:34:55 PM

They have a point
PENALTY -

What are you on about? Do you not want to know the rules?

It shouldn't have been taken in the first place never mind retaken - it was a square ball.

As for MOTM, Morgan and Meyler were brilliant today.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

HokeyPokey

Quote from: sid waddell on September 11, 2021, 07:56:12 PM
Worst final defeat ever. Mayo defeated themselves. They played the occasion, not the match.

I can only rationalise it by thinking that Mayo have Stockholm Syndrome and their identity is too attached to losing finals. This is one they should never have lost. They had the winning of that match and then some. They should have been winning it by seven or eight points.

All this has to stop. It's too painful for the rest of the country, never mind Mayo.

Tyrone are the most average team to win an All-Ireland for a loooong time.

I think, in fairness, we are all guilty of only seeing things through [insert county] tinted glasses. There were moment where I feared Mayo might come back into it or Tyrone might let them back into it, but Tyrone were clearly the better team, on the day. They were clearly the best team this year. Next year, who knows?

Tyrone shut down all Mayo's key men. I absolutely expected Mayo to win at Midfield and it seemed Tyrone's big weak point, but Tyrone won there. Tyrone also had some very easy opportunities which should have been put away; Mayo got away with one very clear black card and there were a couple of questionable frees which went their way in the first half. Mayo fluffed a lot of chances, but that wasn't just down to Mayo, it was down to Tyrone's pressure.

I think this is a young Mayo team where most of the player's haven't been there and there abouts as Tyrone's players over recent years. The championship, for once, looks very exciting going forward, with more games, and several teams who could win it. Though I must say, Tyrone can still potentially improve significantly.

From the Bunker

Well Done Tyrone! Who would have thought earlier on in the year!

The better team won today and Mayo Posters need to such it up and move on.

Talk of the worst team ever to win an AI is poor form.

This team has won the AI on merit. Talk of how great they are lies in the years ahead.

But today they are the best in Ireland.

Once again well done Tyrone and enjoy the celebrations into the new year.

mouview

I'm afraid Mayo's decade is over. Probably end of the line for O'Shea(s), Boyler, McLaughlin, maybe Keegan. Too many poor performers on the day, (Loftus had a nightmare. Commentary mentioned AOS had possible foot injury, why was he there?). Bad shooting, taking ball into contact, no penetration near goal. Donoghue one of Mayo's best but he looked too hyped up for the peno. Midfield had their worst outing of the year. They may win Connacht again next year but Galway really want to start getting their house in order and mounting some sort of sustained challenge.

Well done to Tyrone. As in the past, forced the opposition to play on their terms, and were defensively excellent. They may not be vintage champions, but you are champions for that particular year because you're the best at the end, not aggregated on what you do over several seasons. Brian Dooher is one hell of a legend in the Red Hand.

HokeyPokey

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 11, 2021, 08:53:27 PM
Well Done Tyrone! Who would have thought earlier on in the year!

The better team won today and Mayo Posters need to such it up and move on.

Talk of the worst team ever to win an AI is poor form.

This team has won the AI on merit. Talk of how great they are lies in the years ahead.

But today they are the best in Ireland.

Once again well done Tyrone and enjoy the celebrations into the new year.

Tyrone were definitely the best team in Ireland THIS year.

Whether the standard overall was as strong as previous years is a different discussion.

In fairness, the vast, vast majority of Mayo fans have been good sports, which is a credit given what they have been through. Some of my best friends are from Mayo and I avoided watching it with them, knowing it would kill my buzz should we win!

I think there's a lot more potential in this Tyrone team and there are a lot of teams competing, so the championship could be as exciting as it has been for many, many years. I am sure Kerry, Dublin, Mayo and the other lights of Ulster will be sore... and plotting.

Sportacus

Congratulations Tyrone.  Deserving champions and a conveyor belt to keep them at the top table for another while.  I'm sure most people at best had Tyrone in the tier below Dublin, Kerry and Mayo but they showed what's possible.  They have good players, had a good bench and they can fight it out with anyone. Dooher  and Logan can take massive credit. 

Someone will pull together a highlights reel of the  moments when Mayo blew it, snapping at chances, missing the penalty and Loftus had an almost open net in the first half.  But Tyrone fluffed a few as well and Mayo rode a few refereeing decisions.  The 'Mayo can't win finals' thing will be overdone.

What goes on in Lee Keegan's head I do no know.  So many heartbreaks and he's still a complete  warrior. O'Hora being subbed will become one of those infamous Horan decisions.

WT4E

Quote from: red hander on September 11, 2021, 08:12:51 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 11, 2021, 07:54:26 PM
What I liked about this was that the management kept McKenna on, knowing he was probably good for one moment. Same as McCurry in the semi. Under Harte, they'd have been hooked.

Excellent performances from McKernan, Hampsey, Harte and Sludden. Two mids had their best game.

Feel for Mayo people.

I was crying for McKenna to be subbed just before he set up goal, was having a poor game. Shows what I know. Midfield was excellent, but look back on it, Petey was superb.

I said in the semi and was saying it today mckenna is a big game player he works hard and when u need him he will do something...... the pass was unbelievable. Usually when u watching on TV u can see the pass as u have the vantage of angles etc but when he was going through the pass wasn't even obvious on the TV and he delivered it to perfection.

Long live mckenna.

Solo_run

As an Armagh fan and as much as I don't like Tyrone....Congratulations on your fourth AI win. A lot of people were thinking Tyrone were done for when Harte left and they got smashed by Kerry in the league. However, they have managed to turn their season around quite dramatically. A lot of teams would have fell apart after losing to Kerry in a condensed season but Tyrone didn't. I do admire how they controlled their own destiny.

Mayo were woeful. Not too sure where Mayo go from here. Horan does so much for Mayo but the amount of losses they have accumulated over the last few years is going to be psychological issue that will pass down generations.

tyrone08

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on September 11, 2021, 07:30:15 PM
Taking off O'Hora instead of O'Shea was criminal. Horan has a lot to answer for yet again after a failed AI final.

Can we finally stop this crap about oshea being a top quality player. Scored 1 poor from play in all the finals prior to this game. Is too slow, takes the ball into the tackle and goes down everytime at any contact.