Started by Baile Brigín 2, March 01, 2021, 02:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Surprised no thread.

Some important changes agreed.

-Sinbin in hurling
-Split Season
- 16 teams in club championships

And absolutely critical, the topic of every GAA discussion. A ban on 'duel captains'. Only one person allowed lift a trophy.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0227/1199707-gaa-congress-2021-updates/

Eamonnca1

I once saw an underage game where four captains got to lift the trophy. Ridiculous. Pick one captain and stop dicking around.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 01, 2021, 06:02:23 AM
I once saw an underage game where four captains got to lift the trophy. Ridiculous. Pick one captain and stop dicking around.

And that needed a rule change?

sid waddell

Given that I'm a normal person I wasn't following the GAA Congress

Somebody please tell me the attacking mark has been abolished

Load of shite

I did stumble across the news about the banning of two people lifting trophies

Imagine sitting there all winter thinking to yourself "this craic of two people lifting a trophy rather than one, oh it makes me sick, the party's over, just wait 'til my motion banning it passes, that'll sicken a few holes!"

Makes being a parking attendant seem like a true life vocation in comparison

thewobbler

Louther

It's actually a bit mad to think that such huge changes have been made relating to cynical foul in hurling and football and that a split season has been agreed but lot of comments on social media have been round the One captain rule (which I agree is totally daft and shouldn't merit discussion never mind a vote at congress that gets rid of it, it's harmless FFS)

What will happen now is that come summer (when games are on) there will be constant and widespread outrage that these rules where introduced and people will question why and how and when this happened and XYZ wasn't consulted on it.

Then when final played in July next year be more outrage that we've given up months to other sports and we'll lose a generation. All the while offering no solutions.

It's the way the times are done in the GAA. Voted change followed by outrage.

sid waddell

QuoteMotion 24: This motion proposes to extend the scope of the rule dealing with abuse of a racist, sectarian, or anti-inclusion nature against an opponent to also include such abuse against a match official.

Unsurprisingly passed by acclaim
Guess this means any derogatory reference to "free staters" will now carry a stern sanction

Great stuff - so as well as racist and sectarian bigotry not being tolerated, anti-Irish bigotry by people from Northern Ireland will not be tolerated

QuoteMotion 26: Propose to make it a foul to distract someone by waving hurl/arms while they are taking a puck-out/kick-out or sideline puck/kick.

Passed by acclaim
Good God

Imagine passing this motion for puckouts and sidelines but then bizarrely not for frees

Who the f**k comes up with this nonsense

Rossfan

Quote from: Louther on March 01, 2021, 10:29:08 AM

It's the way the times are done in the GAA. Voted change followed by outrage.

So true  ::)
Some people never got over the abolition of point posts and reduction to 17 a side ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rosnarun

Quote from: Rossfan on March 01, 2021, 12:24:37 PM
Quote from: Louther on March 01, 2021, 10:29:08 AM

It’s the way the times are done in the GAA. Voted change followed by outrage.

So true  ::)
Some people never got over the abolition of point posts and reduction to 17 a side ;D
its the wrestling for the frees I miss . game never the same since
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

johnnycool

And even less discussion on the GAA "freezing" the loss of earnings part of GAA players insurance.

Self employed lads will need their own insurance now, but I'd recommend it for all

delgany

Quote from: johnnycool on March 10, 2021, 04:11:07 PM
And even less discussion on the GAA "freezing" the loss of earnings part of GAA players insurance.

Self employed lads will need their own insurance now, but I'd recommend it for all

The injury scheme is rubbish for self employed, even when wages were included. You had to have certified accounts to get wages paid. How many young fellas would have that ? 
No physio appointments before an operation, It basically pays for operations. Yet it lost €2 million a year. Too many ripping it

Downtothewire

Quote from: delgany on March 11, 2021, 08:06:01 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 10, 2021, 04:11:07 PM

The injury scheme is rubbish for self employed, even when wages were included. You had to have certified accounts to get wages paid. How many young fellas would have that ? 
No physio appointments before an operation, It basically pays for operations. Yet it lost €2 million a year. Too many ripping it

Good to see loss of wages removed from the scheme. A lot were ripping the arse out of it. Perhaps they will pay out more for operations. ACL operation is about £6k but scheme pays out €4.5k and no physio

Eire90

All county club championships should be straight knockout.

johnnycool

Quote from: Eire90 on March 16, 2021, 07:34:46 AM
All county club championships should be straight knockout.

When you've only four teams?

Eire90

yes you have leagues to have  multi games format