Started by rosnarun, April 22, 2021, 04:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Silver hill on May 08, 2021, 08:45:44 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 08, 2021, 07:44:59 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on April 23, 2021, 06:14:10 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on April 23, 2021, 10:35:24 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on April 22, 2021, 06:58:32 PM
Soccer in this country has been under funded for years by successive governments as it's not a vote getter come elections. Its common knowledge the greyhound industry has received more funding annually than soccer. Given the numbers that participate in soccer in this country an increase in funding isn't unreasonable

Granted Delaney's leadership has left the FAI near bankruptcy, but that's a separate issue
Its unreasonable because they will just piss the money away . like giving money to a drunk
I dont want any one banned from anything just for the GAA be allowed to play on a level pitch. Most senior clubs have better facilities tha LOI Clubs
My brother used to work for fingal council around the time of the FINGAL CC vanity soccer  Project and the day they went burst he was arranging the room for the press conference. when it was over there were 2 billboards with Sporting fingal on it and tha was the sum total of what they owned

John Delaney pissed money away at the top level, but these grants aren't for the senior football team. They'll be used by local clubs and LOI around the country. In an ideal world funding could be used for grounds/stadiums that could be used by both sports, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Only the GAA is bigger and has more people involved than soccer so why should everyone lose out because of an individual who is no longer involved in the FAI.

The GAA don't have more people involved though...

I would challenge that. The Gaa as a sporting organisation is easily the biggest on the island of Ireland. Whatever way you want to measure it; either actual participants or people watching hurling or football.

In the 26 it isn't. Soccer has far more players and clubs (admittedly some are far smaller) and there is no reason to think its different in the 6.

Watching live, football wins. Watching on tv? Thats soccer.

Armagh18

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 09, 2021, 02:29:42 PM
Soccer in this country has been under funded for years by successive governments as it's not a vote getter come elections. Its common knowledge the greyhound industry has received more funding annually than soccer. Given the numbers that participate in soccer in this country an increase in funding isn't unreasonable

Granted Delaney's leadership has left the FAI near bankruptcy, but that's a separate issue
Its unreasonable because they will just piss the money away . like giving money to a drunk
I dont want any one banned from anything just for the GAA be allowed to play on a level pitch. Most senior clubs have better facilities tha LOI Clubs
My brother used to work for fingal council around the time of the FINGAL CC vanity soccer  Project and the day they went burst he was arranging the room for the press conference. when it was over there were 2 billboards with Sporting fingal on it and tha was the sum total of what they owned

John Delaney pissed money away at the top level, but these grants aren't for the senior football team. They'll be used by local clubs and LOI around the country. In an ideal world funding could be used for grounds/stadiums that could be used by both sports, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Only the GAA is bigger and has more people involved than soccer so why should everyone lose out because of an individual who is no longer involved in the FAI.

I would challenge that. The Gaa as a sporting organisation is easily the biggest on the island of Ireland. Whatever way you want to measure it; either actual participants or people watching hurling or football.

In the 26 it isn't. Soccer has far more players and clubs (admittedly some are far smaller) and there is no reason to think its different in the 6.

Maybe in Dublin but jaysus GAA is by far more popular I'd have thought.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 09, 2021, 05:33:00 PM

Nope. More people play soccer in Kerry than football.

GAA clubs tend to be better embedded than soccer clubs, but dependimg how you count it there are up to two soccer players per hurlers or footballers combined in the 26c.  I doubt the figures sre different up north.

But the point here is what Dublin7 said. Soccer has always been underfunded and it's not exactly outrageous that one fund in one year gets them more than Gaelic games

fearsiuil

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 09, 2021, 08:09:09 PM

GAA clubs tend to be better embedded than soccer clubs, but dependimg how you count it there are up to two soccer players per hurlers or footballers combined in the 26c.  I doubt the figures sre different up north.

But the point here is what Dublin7 said. Soccer has always been underfunded and it's not exactly outrageous that one fund in one year gets them more than Gaelic games
Can you show us where you are getting this stat?

brokencrossbar1

Albeit a pretty cursory look but according to a FAI figures there's approx 450k members involved in the games, with over 500k worldwide for GAA. They are similar sized organisations, with similar sized memberships. There are more soccer clubs but I would say the membership per average club would be significantly lower than your average GAA club. The likes of Cross Rangers have an average 700 members, which is not massive. The local soccer club has about 30, and half are members of the GAA club. In the 26 I would say that funding should be on a like for like basis unless anyone can give me figures to suggest otherwise that Soccer requires more funding due to significantly higher levels of participation and necessity

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: fearsiuil on May 10, 2021, 09:25:38 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on May 09, 2021, 08:09:09 PM

Can you show us where you are getting this stat?

The CSO and ESRI sports participation series.

befair

I wouldn't be surprised if there are more soccer players than GAA. Soccer is more casual and sociable, whereas even at club level, GAA requires training 3 times each week, gym attendance, alcohol ban etc.  Our club ahd a 3rds team for some years, supposed to be for lads who just wanted a kick-about every week, but it pretty soon devolved into hte usual.
This is our own fault, the enjoyment is going out of the game, but once one club starts the monastic lifestyle (and expensive outside managers), everyone has to do it;  we are running to stand still.