Dublin v Mayo - AISF

Started by Jinxy, August 04, 2012, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Halfquarter on August 23, 2012, 01:28:37 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 23, 2012, 12:51:15 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 22, 2012, 04:30:14 PM
There are plenty of instances of teams missing marquee names and succeeding.
Mayo are more than just Andy Moran, surely.

I ve been trying to think of some but with little success. Throw a few out there until we see.

We re talking about rank outsiders ( last time I looked 7/1) to win and Dublin strong favourites to win the semi.

This is not like comparing us to KK without Henry Shefflin or something.

7/1 sounds like a mad price,Mayo cannot be that far behind Dublin ?

That's the odds for winning Sam outright I think he's referring to. I do agree though, the rest of the forwards will have to produce something we've never seen them do before for us to win.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Halfquarter on August 23, 2012, 01:28:37 PM

I ve been trying to think of some but with little success. Throw a few out there until we see.

We re talking about rank outsiders ( last time I looked 7/1) to win and Dublin strong favourites to win the semi.

7/1 sounds like a mad price,Mayo cannot be that far behind Dublin ?

Yeah that s 7/1 for the AI. Any ye lads fillin yer boots?

Dublin are 9/4 to win outright and 1/2 to win semi.

I cant agree with those who would see a lost semi as a massive setback for us. If the odds are anything to go by we re gatecrashing the last 4 and not supposed to win anyway. Not that I m giving up on our chances yet but I expect us to be better again next year. I think we re a lot better this year than last and the curve should continue to rise regardless if we win or lose v Dublin.

seanog

Maybe you're right in saying it would not be a massive setback but i would tend to disagree , we were outclassed by Kerry at s/f stage last year, if we were to lose to Dublin by 8/9 points also , this time out, i'm afraid a lot of lads like Higgans and co would start to wonder can we ever make the step up, beat Dublin and this present Mayo set up could go on to great things. It's an amateur sport despite its professional approach , i believe certain games define a teams era and this is one of them.

I also believe this team has another gear yet and could very well surprise a few in this upcoming s/f,anyone could say that, i know but that is the vibe i'm getting. Well ahead of where they were this time last year according to second hand reports from training.

I respect and applaud Horan for what he has done so far, my only worry with Horan is that he tends to put a lot of effort into changing as little as possible , what i mean by this is , there is no harm in trying to outfox your opponents too, like putting AOS on the square if needs be, for example, no need to be too rigid James.

seafoid

Just from Galway -
Iggy Clarke injured for the 1980 final . Won it
Pat Malone made his debut in 87 - not sure if it was the final- he was superb. Won again. 
Michael Coleman came in in the 88 final when Steve Mahon was injured (I think) and he horsed Tipp out of it.
Sometimes the big match can make the player.

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on August 23, 2012, 02:47:03 PM

Just from Galway -
Iggy Clarke injured for the 1980 final . Won it
Pat Malone made his debut in 87 - not sure if it was the final- he was superb. Won again. 
Michael Coleman came in in the 88 final when Steve Mahon was injured (I think) and he horsed Tipp out of it.
Sometimes the big match can make the player.

Not very convincing if I may say so.

In fact looking back at recent AI winners, they always managed to have their best players on the pitch the years they won. Even an injured Canavan had a major role to play.

Most Galway people I know reckon the return of a fit Ja Fallon crucial to 98 success.

In fact would Galway have won in 98/01 if any one of Walsh, Fallon, Donnellan, Joyce, Mannion or Savage missing?

Ye have to be lucky with injuries to win an AI.

IolarCoisCuain

Kerry won in 2004 with Darragh Ó Sé and Séamus Moynihan on the bench...

sans pessimism

Quote from: Syferus on August 21, 2012, 10:50:00 PM
Andy had his op on Monday. Good luck to him in his recovery and all going well we'll see him back on the playing fields next year.
He's not havin his op until after Dublin match-I hasten to add that its NOT because he'll be takin part!!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

moysider

Quote from: sans pessimism on August 23, 2012, 10:08:39 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 21, 2012, 10:50:00 PM
Andy had his op on Monday. Good luck to him in his recovery and all going well we'll see him back on the playing fields next year.
He's not havin his op until after Dublin match-I hasten to add that its NOT because he'll be takin part!!

Yeah. That would explain how he was spotted very sprightly at Josie Moffatt's funeral on Wednesday.

SEYFERUS! >:(

Only messin Sy :)

Syferus

Word around town - and from some very well informed sources - was he had it this week. Maybe it's been pushed back or maybe the information was plain faulty. Oh, well!

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on August 23, 2012, 11:18:43 PM
Word around town - and from some very well informed sources - was he had it this week. Maybe it's been pushed back or maybe the information was plain faulty. Oh, well!

Or maybe....... he can be patched up for a while!

I know, I know but this thread needs a shot in the arm.

sans pessimism

Correct
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

sans pessimism

Quote from: moysider on August 24, 2012, 12:04:21 AM

.......now Moy you shud know better
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

moysider

Quote from: sans pessimism on August 24, 2012, 12:13:33 AM

I should and I dont.

I know lads that have played on for years but the knee can go at any time - followed by time building it up again. Going under the knife is never an attractive prospect.  Didn t Henry Shefflin try to get through an AI fnal with a similar injury and broke down over by the sideline?

Naturally an injured player like Andy in the circumstances will grasp at any straw to finish out the year - he wouldn t be human if he didn t. I d suspect that he hasn t given up on it yet - maybe it was his decision to push the thing back. I know I would.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on August 24, 2012, 12:24:07 AM
Quote from: sans pessimism on August 24, 2012, 12:13:33 AM

I should and I dont.

I know lads that have played on for years but the knee can go at any time - followed by time building it up again. Going under the knife is never an attractive prospect.  Didn t Henry Shefflin try to get through an AI fnal with a similar injury and broke down over by the sideline?

Naturally an injured player like Andy in the circumstances will grasp at any straw to finish out the year - he wouldn t be human if he didn t. I d suspect that he hasn t given up on it yet - maybe it was his decision to push the thing back. I know I would.

Short term gain for long term pain?

Never beat the deeler

Obviously not
Hasta la victoria siempre