Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 3307171 times)

Rodger Mona

• View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #20850 on: May 04, 2021, 03:17:51 PM »
MR2 please dont take it as i was comparing refs to priests of the 70's.  ;D Absolutely not, i was just remarking on the forums sensitivity, to any statements made regarding refs. thats all. It all adds to the banter after all

One point to make on the whole situation though from my own perspective. Obviously its a thankless job and thats reflected by the now demand we have for refs in the county. But we have now players and managers at club level who now train 4-6 nights a week between gym and s&c sessions and a total shift to a more professional environment. 10 years ago nobody would have seen the huge transformation in our games and the effort it takes to participate at any grade of senior level. There are Irish league teams/players not doing near what gaa clubs/players are doing training wise. So i think its fair when people are asking and raising concerns about the fitness of refs especially at senior level as the reffing needs to be in line with the damands of the modern game. I know from watching games around the county and seeing what goes on, thats not the case in some occasions. Overall we have more good refs than not so good. There are refs who wouldnt get a senior game in other counties due to fitness levels, age and theirimplementation of the rules. Now on the same breathe i would never name these people or try to belittle them individually as i take my hat off for stepping up when no one else does but its defintely an elephant in the room scenario that people arent keen on talking about.

Before i get the "put your name forward before saying that about men out trying their best" comments, let me just say i know myself i would make a horrible ref

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20851 on: May 04, 2021, 04:45:24 PM »
MR2 please dont take it as i was comparing refs to priests of the 70's.  ;D Absolutely not, i was just remarking on the forums sensitivity, to any statements made regarding refs. thats all. It all adds to the banter after all

One point to make on the whole situation though from my own perspective. Obviously its a thankless job and thats reflected by the now demand we have for refs in the county. But we have now players and managers at club level who now train 4-6 nights a week between gym and s&c sessions and a total shift to a more professional environment. 10 years ago nobody would have seen the huge transformation in our games and the effort it takes to participate at any grade of senior level. There are Irish league teams/players not doing near what gaa clubs/players are doing training wise. So i think its fair when people are asking and raising concerns about the fitness of refs especially at senior level as the reffing needs to be in line with the damands of the modern game. I know from watching games around the county and seeing what goes on, thats not the case in some occasions. Overall we have more good refs than not so good. There are refs who wouldnt get a senior game in other counties due to fitness levels, age and theirimplementation of the rules. Now on the same breathe i would never name these people or try to belittle them individually as i take my hat off for stepping up when no one else does but its defintely an elephant in the room scenario that people arent keen on talking about.

Before i get the "put your name forward before saying that about men out trying their best" comments, let me just say i know myself i would make a horrible ref

No all comments are fine and we've younger ref's coming through who are wanting to push up the ladder and do intercounty and so on, fitness levels is important and keeping up to the modern players is difficult but I know of at least 10/12 lads that have decent enough fitness levels that are not intercounty.

We won't get every call and even the fittest ref can't be in the ruck of players and seeing everything, but he'll do his best
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

whatwillbwillb

• View Profile
« Reply #20852 on: May 04, 2021, 07:30:14 PM »

No all comments are fine and we've younger ref's coming through who are wanting to push up the ladder and do intercounty and so on, fitness levels is important and keeping up to the modern players is difficult but I know of at least 10/12 lads that have decent enough fitness levels that are not intercounty.

We won't get every call and even the fittest ref can't be in the ruck of players and seeing everything, but he'll do his best

MR2 10/12 lads is just not not enough in a county the size of ours and the number of games to be played in both codes, and yes some younger lads are coming through. However a lot of lads and I do know this fail the written tests regular as well as the bleep test. You referred to it on previous posts, what is the test as there are a few and what is the level that has to be attained. The reason I ask is that lads are committing 4-5 nights a week to play only, referees are paid now and for those who are popular or are naturally good referees walk away at the end of the year with a tidy sum or half yearly, and yes that could mean 30+ games but thats their choice after all. So to be fair clubs and players should expect their officials to be fit enough to see a game through 60 minutes. I remember Ray Matthews, Owen Elliott, Garrett Duffy , Eamon Hasson all training through the winter/christmas to pass a bleep test and exams for years. Where did these lads go all of a sudden, Elliott referees in Derry why not Antrim?

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #20853 on: May 04, 2021, 08:07:30 PM »
Weíve about 10/12 refs that our intercounty so they have their own standard to meet, the criteria for club refereeing is slightly less in terms of the beep test, we do one and I think inter county do two, their pass rate for rules test again is higher, ours is 85 I think, this year was online, so you fail you canít referee.

As for fitness I said outside of our inter county refís weíve about 10/12 thst are at a decent level of fitness, Iíd say better than mine. So that could be over 20/24 refs up to a level of fitness set down by Croke park!

Iíve done the beep test several years, itís hard, and again I would consider myself fit (for 49)

As god the expenses, what do you recommend? Nothing?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #20854 on: May 04, 2021, 10:50:48 PM »

MR2 10/12 lads is just not not enough in a county the size of ours and the number of games to be played in both codes, and yes some younger lads are coming through. However a lot of lads and I do know this fail the written tests regular as well as the bleep test. You referred to it on previous posts, what is the test as there are a few and what is the level that has to be attained. The reason I ask is that lads are committing 4-5 nights a week to play only, referees are paid now and for those who are popular or are naturally good referees walk away at the end of the year with a tidy sum or half yearly, and yes that could mean 30+ games but thats their choice after all. So to be fair clubs and players should expect their officials to be fit enough to see a game through 60 minutes. I remember Ray Matthews, Owen Elliott, Garrett Duffy , Eamon Hasson all training through the winter/christmas to pass a bleep test and exams for years. Where did these lads go all of a sudden, Elliott referees in Derry why not Antrim?

Eamon Hassan is Derry man so why did he ref in Antrim and not Derry?

Matthews & Duffy left after the ďincidentĒ in Ballymena along with Garreth Brown from Glenravel. Herbie McAuley from Glenravel was a decent ref and he left to work away, Yer man Kelly from the Johnnies was a decent ref also. McCotter from Sarsfields, his first name escapes me. We always had a core of decent refs but just not enough and thatís going back to the days of Tommy McIntyre, Eugene McHugh, Ger Robinson and Jim Murray. I think the problem is that when they retire there is nothing coming behind them to take over.

whatwillbwillb

• View Profile
« Reply #20855 on: May 05, 2021, 06:17:57 AM »
Weíve about 10/12 refs that our intercounty so they have their own standard to meet, the criteria for club refereeing is slightly less in terms of the beep test, we do one and I think inter county do two, their pass rate for rules test again is higher, ours is 85 I think, this year was online, so you fail you canít referee.

As for fitness I said outside of our inter county refís weíve about 10/12 thst are at a decent level of fitness, Iíd say better than mine. So that could be over 20/24 refs up to a level of fitness set down by Croke park!

Iíve done the beep test several years, itís hard, and again I would consider myself fit (for 49)

As god the expenses, what do you recommend? Nothing?
[/b]

Did i say I had an issue with expenses MR2? Wanna read it again? My point is that clubs through their contributions to the county help cover in some way those payments, so the least they should expect is a referee who is fit for purpose, simple enough. There's no cheap shots here!

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #20856 on: May 05, 2021, 07:34:20 AM »
You brought in that the refs make a tidy sum, itís not a wage and any one whoís doing it for that reason is doing it for the wrong reason.

Nothing would pay your enough to take abuse.

You say clubs are training 4/5 nights a week ( excessive) and you want a ref to match that? You know majority of refs are retired players? The next time the refs do the bleep test come up, Iíll run along side you.

As for reading posts again you obviously read mine completely wrong and got your numbers all mixed up

whatwillbwillb

• View Profile
« Reply #20857 on: May 05, 2021, 08:17:27 AM »
Totes & Paddy would be proud of ya, I know they reads this regularly and actually had to warn lads about posting too! No fear here of a bleep test MR2, always on the defensive, they do make a tidy sum spoke to many a lad who's honest enough to disclose their expenses. Didn't say he/she had to match that again you see what you wanna see, you should maybe listen the odd time, thats your game after all!!! Lol. :D As for numbers all wrong please

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #20858 on: May 05, 2021, 08:42:59 AM »
Totes & Paddy would be proud of ya, I know they reads this regularly and actually had to warn lads about posting too! No fear here of a bleep test MR2, always on the defensive, they do make a tidy sum spoke to many a lad who's honest enough to disclose their expenses. Didn't say he/she had to match that again you see what you wanna see, you should maybe listen the odd time, thats your game after all!!! Lol. :D As for numbers all wrong please

So you should go unchecked?

So I'll ask again, what is it you expect from the refs? As they are already meeting the criteria set down from Croke Park

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #20859 on: May 05, 2021, 09:05:37 AM »

So I'll ask again, what is it you expect from the refs? As they are already meeting the criteria set down from Croke Park

Lack of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Look at some of the names mentioned above and 'incidents' that they have been involved in. Then look at the support they received or more importantly didnt receive around these incidents and you wonder why they walk away from the game completely. How many times did the county (various administrations) end up shafting these guys in favour of not properly punishing clubs?

There is more a problem on how the refs get treated and then we wonder why there is a shortage. Not rocket science lads.

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #20860 on: May 05, 2021, 10:25:06 AM »
U r all very NEgative!
if county isnt playing can the county players play for their club that day???????????????????/

delgany

• View Profile
« Reply #20861 on: May 05, 2021, 10:57:09 AM »
U r all very NEgative!
if county isnt playing can the county players play for their club that day???????????????????/
County players are unavailable to they exit thei USF championship

whatwillbwillb

• View Profile
« Reply #20862 on: May 05, 2021, 11:05:53 AM »

Look at some of the names mentioned above and 'incidents' that they have been involved in. Then look at the support they received or more importantly didnt receive around these incidents and you wonder why they walk away from the game completely. How many times did the county (various administrations) end up shafting these guys in favour of not properly punishing clubs?

There is more a problem on how the refs get treated and then we wonder why there is a shortage. Not rocket science lads.

My sentiments exactly NAG1, MR2 unchecked for what, get down off that high horse you're on, facts are facts, you like to make things personal, may impress the Refs committee after you where gagged previously and towed the line,  but theres enough gaels on this board that can go back further than you and were closer to situations.  NAG1 is spot on what went on around the Ray Matthews situation was scandalous and the support was non-existent from Clubs or County, never mind the family and its experience of it! Crokes criteria now theres a laugh and a half, speaks someone with no experience of dealing with Croke. As NAG1 says Elliott for example referees in Derry, done umteen Derry County Hurling Finals, All Ireland Camogie Finals, sits on Referees National Committee at CROKE PARK, referees county and provincial camogie- Why is he not still in Antrim?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 11:16:02 AM by whatwillbwillb »

Calm Down

• View Profile
« Reply #20863 on: May 05, 2021, 11:18:59 AM »
whatwillbwillb, only one one to solve this from your point of view, if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem:

https://antrim.gaa.ie/news/are-you-interested-in-becoming-an-antrim-gaa-referee

Looking forward to seeing you start the revolution and make the county better through your contributions as a ref, oh and get new car shopping I am sure a new Land Rover won't be out of reach with all those expenses you'll be coining in

Tyrdub

• View Profile
« Reply #20864 on: May 05, 2021, 11:22:37 AM »

My sentiments exactly NAG1, MR2 unchecked for what, get down off that high horse you're on, facts are facts, you like to make things personal, may impress the Refs committee after you where gagged previously and towed the line,  but theres enough gaels on this board that can go back further than you and were closer to situations.  NAG1 is spot on what went on around the Ray Matthews situation was scandalous and the support was non-existent from Clubs or County, never mind the family and its experience of it! Crokes criteria now theres a laugh and a half, speaks someone with no experience of dealing with Croke. As NAG1 says Elliott for example referees in Derry, done umteen Derry County Hurling Finals, All Ireland Camogie Finals, sits on Referees National Committee at CROKE PARK, referees county and provincial camogie- Why is he not still in Antrim?

Right, as someone who was involved in that incident, and someone who knows MR1 personally, I'm going to ask you all to back off. What he is saying is right and has a lot of merit, but so are a lot of your points.
There are some refs who want to push themselves to get Senior games and some who are happy just getting out of the house, just as some players want to win championships and some know they will never reach those heights and just look forward to having a game. Not everyone is the same.
As for digging up old ground from 10 years ago, let it go lad, nothing is going to get sorted out on this website.