Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glensman

And Brendy Herron is definitely away (in as much as Hoganstand is definite):

"Herron switching codes

Dinny Cahill
19 November 2009

New Antrim hurling manager Dinny Cahill has suffered an early setback with the news that Brendan Herron is set to declare for Liam Bradley's footballers next year.

Herron, who had been involved with the hurlers last year, attended a recent football trial match against a Derry selection and it's believed he will be included in the county's McKenna Cup squad.

According to the Irish News, Herron is one of at least four players who didn't feature in last year's championship who are set to commit to the football squad in 2010. Randalstown's Micheal Magill and Rasharkin clubman Paul Doherty, who were both abroad last summer, are set to rejoin Bradley's squad, as is former captain Sean Kelly.

Kelly quit the squad following Antrim's 2008 Ulster SFC defeat to Cavan. He missed the team's subsequent Tommy Murphy Cup success and wasn't involved last season."

NAG1

In all fairness was never a massive fan had all the athletic ability but didnt seem to have the hurling brain to go with it, too often first thought was to get the ball on the stick and run with it, when should have been a fast delivery.

theskull1

For clarification NAG1. Don't want to be misinterpreted

My comments are not meant to be a dig at the players who have been selected. The person I'm referring to btw, I hope, if he keeps learning his craft will be a massive player for us in years to come as I have no doubts about his drive as well as his character. But if youre not making the clubs starting 15, you still have to develop your game there before being thrust into a county set-up (just because you possess enthusiasm and potential). That should be a no brainer. One step at a time.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

imtommygunn

Hppy days - Sean Kelly back with the footballers.

I'd agree about Herron - however our county team do seem to lack athleticism and he added that so I think he was a player very worthy of his place because of that.

slow corner back

I have to disagree with some of you about Brendan Herron, I thought he was close to Antrims best player last year ( not a great accolade I know). He was one of the few who seemed to have grown into county hurling and seemed comfortable in competition, he was also good for a point or two from play from midfield in most matches and given Antrims severe lack of scoring power a few points from midfield or further back was badly needed.

maxpower

I agree I think brendan herron was a good asset to Antrim Hurling, between Dublin footballers electing to play hurling and vice versa in Antrim you have to wonder which way each county is going, and is it the sport or the glory that attracts players.

Another thing, I see our Chairperson is mooting the possibilty of moving the Club finals from Paddys day. I completely disagree, St Patricks day is the pinnacle of the club calender, club players get shafted at every turn, train all year to play their most important games in sodden fields on cold days. Croke Park on Paddys day is the celebration of club competition, the grassroots of our association on our unique 'Irish' day of the year
What happens next????

theskull1

gives the county team a good run in the NHL

Minder

Though we have a boyo managing now that saw the NHL as a total distraction in his last tenure.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

maxpower

I can see his point too, not ideal having half your team not available for 3/4 matches in NHL, but St Patricks day finals are special, its a bank holiday and its not almost instinctive that GAA men organise their day around the finals. There is no way any other date in the year would generate the same interest in the Club Finals.

Personally I think the GAA should be looking to increase the games played on that date to include poss the Junior or intermediate final. Like I said, everything else about the club scene is shoehorned in at whatever date suits county teams, surely this one time of the year club can take perference.

At the end of the day Antrim have only had teams competing in the AI final on 7 occassions in history, not exactly happening every year
What happens next????

theskull1

Develop a county team with less reliance on the top 3 teams would be the best way to go. A few men down is an opertunity for others to shine

At least he's bound to be sympathetic to the complaints clubs have had about playing without county players in league matches  :)

gelvis

Still no word as to whether Dinny would try and coax Liam Watson back to the hurlers?  Wasn't named on the trial squad but I would have been very surprised if he was.
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

milltown row

Quote from: gelvis on November 20, 2009, 11:56:45 PM
Still no word as to whether Dinny would try and coax Liam Watson back to the hurlers?  Wasn't named on the trial squad but I would have been very surprised if he was.

playing Garrison sports for a team in West Belfast called Donegal Celtic (he'd naturally want to catch it :D) Liam will not bother I'd imagine, he's had a few injuries over the last few years

gelvis

Quote from: milltown row on November 21, 2009, 08:53:51 AM
Quote from: gelvis on November 20, 2009, 11:56:45 PM

playing Garrison sports for a team in West Belfast called Donegal Celtic (he'd naturally want to catch it :D) Liam will not bother I'd imagine, he's had a few injuries over the last few years

That aul Black and Tan ball has ruined many a reputation!  :D
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

imtommygunn

As per the mcgourty brothers (2 not 3) in the football I think the hurlers would be better off without Liam Watson.

slow corner back

Did Liam Watson appear for Loughgiel this year at all? Personally I would like to see Barney McAuley and DD Quinn back in the county panel but who knows if that will ever happen.