The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof98

Members of the U-21 managements are well aware of Coulters ability and I'm well informed that his services are to be required. As the U21 is run at the start of the season there is no reason why Decky can't contribute to this team.  However, the team that will suffer will be the Harps, the Armagh Hurling team Won Division 3 last year and got to the NR cup SF, thus restricting Coulters turn outs for the Harps. This commitment is to be enhanced this year with the senior hurling squad inclusion in the Ulster Senior C'ship.

Well done to the U-21s on Sunday in terrible conditions, (1st time i've seen a shot from the 21y line land beyond the fifty). Ironically this is the squad that won the ulster minor, but are not as strong as last year, but its still there for the taking.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

BenDover

Quote from: Imposerous on December 04, 2006, 03:54:53 PM
As you seem to know Coulter, it would appear that hurling is his first love, but would you say that he would forgo the football should such a decision have to be made. I don't know if that is that hypothetical a question because, while you offer the Paul McCormack case as evidence, he was rarely a starter on the football team. And it could be a suggested that the hurling management were happy to have him attend football to supplement his fitness training, whereas Coulter could likely be getting regular football with the U-21s and the risk of injury may lead to management intervention. Unlikely, perhaps.

I don't think I'm at liberty to say whether or not Decky would forgo the football (but if he does get a call up to the County U-21s we'll soon find out) but I think all the teams involved should try and come to some sort of reasonable compromise if and when this situation arises.

I agree with Spirit that the Harps will be the only team not to be benefit!

RP Macmurphy

QuoteBy the way, thanks to Randal for phoning me on the mobile when I was making my report to the meeting!

No problem Rufus!

Agree with Benny about the fella's we're missing, but there's nothing we can do about that and all credit must go to the boys who played on Sunday,

Congrats to Declan Coulter and Sean Hart on their awards. :)

Spiritof98

What time is the game on Sunday.

Anyword on how good this whitecross team is.

rootthemout

u 21s  have the potential to retain the cup and i wish them all the best.Great to see Patsy Nugent getting hall of fame award.Atrue gentleman who gave a hell of a lot of his time to get the harps were they are today.It was men like patsy who kept the harps going in the bad days,and who shared in the good times. ;D

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: rootthemout on December 09, 2006, 06:36:21 PM
u 21s  have the potential to retain the cup and i wish them all the best.Great to see Patsy Nugent getting hall of fame award.Atrue gentleman who gave a hell of a lot of his time to get the harps were they are today.It was men like patsy who kept the harps going in the bad days,and who shared in the good times. ;D

Agree one hundred percent with that - congratulations to Patsy.

Now time to take my leave of you - as young Oates once said (I think  ::)), I'm going out and I may be gone some time!!  ;)

Rufus T Firefly

Harps v Whitecross

Harps recorded another victory in the Armagh Under 21 Championship when they were full value for a six point victory at the South Armagh venue. Harps started with the same fifteen that started last week against Ballymacnab – the only positional change being the swapping of wings by half backs Martin McCoy and Smackers McAnaney. 

Harps played into the wind in the first half and soon opened the scoring with a Declan Coulter point after Darren Ward had knocked the ball down to him. Whitecross though began to apply pressure, though they were denied by some good defensive work, with Karl Grimes featuring prominently. They soon had their equaliser – a point from a long range free and quickly took the lead with another long range point, this time from play. Simon Lennon unfortunately had to retire injured at this stage. The reshuffle saw sub Mark McConville go into wing half back, with Smackers going to midfield. Harps began to exert pressure and had an excellent point from a Kevin Kelly '50'. Joe Quigley followed up with a point from a free but this good work was shortly undone. The Harps defence allowed an attacker to go through the centre unchallenged and he finished with a low shot to the net from fourteen yards. Harps returned to the attack thanks to good work around the middle. This led to points from Joe Quigley (2) and Charlie Vernon. Whitecross though managed to get one last attack before the interval that brought an equalising point from a fourteen yard free.

Harps 0-06, Whitecross 1-03.

Harps immediately set to work on the restart and took the lead with a Declan Coulter point after a good run. Darren ward pointed from play before Whitecross responded with a point from a '50'. This was to prove a false dawn for the home side, as Harps began to take over. Declan Coulter set up Kevin Kelly for a point and with Harps exerting increasing pressure, frees began to be conceded. These frees led to points from Joe Quigley and Kevin Kelly, the latter a huge sixty yard effort. A good move out of defence saw Kevin Kelly add another point from play and Darren Ward repeated the dose. Kevin Kelly added another point from a free before Harps closed the game with a goal. Joe Quigley won possession and was brought down in the area for a penalty. He picked himself up and duly slotted the ball home. Nippy added another point from a sixty yard free. To their credit Whitecross did not give up, although Harps management will be concerned that with the game won, Harps like last week allowed the opposition in for scores. Whitecross added a goal and two points in the closing stages to leave Harps as deserved victors by six points. This was a good overall team performance form the Harps with everyone playing a part, although the efforts of Smackers, Joe Quigley, Mark McConville, Declan Coulter and Karl Grimes are worthy of mention.

Final score, Harps 1-15, Whitecross 2-06.

The Harps fielded as follows. John Daly, Karl Grimes, Ciaran Clifford, Fergus McAleavey, Smackers McAnaney, Charlie Vernon 0-1, Martin McCoy, Simon Lennon (Mark McCoville), Nippy Swift 0-1 (0-1 free), Joe Quigley 1-5 (1-0 penalty, 0-2 frees), Declan Coulter 0-2, Cormac Toner, Darren Ward 0-2, Kevin Kelly 0-5 (0-1 '50', 0-2 frees), and Liam Devlin.   

Spiritof98

Good win for the lads, mouth watering prospect of a City derby in the semis in the draw allows it.

Any word on Lenny's injury, is it long term, big cog in the wheel.

Uladh

Rufus T Firefly

Forgot to mention - great night in the Club on Saturday night/Sunday morning. Fair few GAABoard heads knocking about, though most of them went home early!  ::)

Anyway, congratulations to the following on their awards - all richly deserved.

Hall of Fame - Patsy Nugent

Committee Man of the Year - James Clifford

Club Services Award - Eileen Richards

Senior Player of the Year - Martin Gill

Most Consistent Senior Player - Chuckie Morris

'B' Player of the Year - Kevin Kelly

'B' Players' Player of the Year - Liam McAuley

Ladies Footballer of the Year - Paula Powell

Most Improved Ladies Footballer - Leanne O'Neill

Minor Player of the Year - Michael Kelly

Under 16 Player of the Year - Paul Kelly

Overall Youth Player of the Year - Simon Lennon

There were also four special awards made to Harps' members for great achievements throughout the year.

Paul Rath for becoming Mid Board referee of the year; Ciaran McMahon for winning the All Ireland Road Bowls Title in his grade, Declan Coulter (Cuchullians) for representing Armagh, Ulster and Ireland in hurling/shinty this year, and last and by no means least to our Number One sponsor, Jimmy Nugent, whose support is invaluable!

I ended up in Richie Nugent's house with the Hall of Fame winner - great craic. Stumpy and me left about half three when Richie started discussing his point in the 1991 County Final! 

Colonel Cool

Yous got some nice coverage of the senior presentations  in the Irish News today. Well done. Happy Christmas to you all!
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

Blacksheep

Why don't you start a new thread - "Happy Christmas to the Harps" Colonel Cool?
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

Sky Blue

For a small rural club your sure have more than your fair share of arseholes.

Uladh

jaysus lads, that was totally unexpected today. where dd it all go wrong?

Armagh Exile

What was the score Uladh?  I take it that Crossmaglen won.
Any score from Dromintee and Pearse Og game which was switched to the former's venue this morning?