Euro 20/21

Started by rodney trotter, May 19, 2021, 08:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Yeah, and better quality in midfield with McGinn , McTominay

Duncan Fergusn was very good with Everton and Newcastle but just 7 Scottish caps. Might have been a following out with the national team

gawa316

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 22, 2021, 01:48:10 PM
Scotland haven't really had a good striker since Ally McCoist.

That's shocking...Kenny Miller is the only one that's jumping out to me but he was hardly a world beater either. Did Celtic or Rangers not have a half decent Scottish striker in the last 25 years?!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gawa316 on June 22, 2021, 02:39:43 PM

That's shocking...Kenny Miller is the only one that's jumping out to me but he was hardly a world beater either. Did Celtic or Rangers not have a half decent Scottish striker in the last 25 years?!

Mo scored 14 in 38 games while Ally scored 19 in 61.. They didn't (in comparison to other nations strikers) play too many internationals
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

shark

James McFadden probably the most successful for Scotland. But that's just relative to a pretty poor selection

johnnycool

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 22, 2021, 02:12:19 PM

Duncan Fergusn was very good with Everton and Newcastle but just 7 Scottish caps. Might have been a following out with the national team

Duncan probably not keen on the Scottish FA when they pushed hard for the headbutting incident that landed him a spell in Barlinnie.

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2021, 02:45:09 PM

Mo scored 14 in 38 games while Ally scored 19 in 61.. They didn't (in comparison to other nations strikers) play too many internationals

Players didn't generally play as many internationals up until the 90's.. Since then, 10 former Soviet states got independence, 7 former Yugoslav states the same, plus Faroes, Liechtenstein, San Marino etc joined. There are 53 teams in UEFA. That's nearly double to what is was . There are far more games in qualifying now, and major tournaments expanded.

I remember when Packie hit the 80 cap record for Ireland, and it was like wow, 80 caps! Robbie Keane ended up with nearly double that, and he wasnt a goalkeeper.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: lurganblue on June 22, 2021, 10:20:11 AM
Such an improvement there has been in big Lukaku.  I don't watch the Italian football really so I was so surprised to see how good his touch and holdup play has become.

Everyone seems to disimprove when they join United. Then improve again when they leave. I reckon if Martial was to leave this summer, he'd improve greatly too. Someone else mentioned Depay earlier...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

tintin25

Squad wise it's definitely the strongest Scotland have been in years.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 22, 2021, 03:00:46 PM
Such an improvement there has been in big Lukaku.  I don't watch the Italian football really so I was so surprised to see how good his touch and holdup play has become.

Everyone seems to disimprove when they join United. Then improve again when they leave. I reckon if Martial was to leave this summer, he'd improve greatly too. Someone else mentioned Depay earlier...

Wijnaldum could also prove this, if his current form continues he'll do well next year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gawa316

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2021, 03:48:58 PM

Wijnaldum could also prove this, if his current form continues he'll do well next year

He's been one of the most consistent midfielders in Europe over the last 4 odd years...bar maybe city he would walk onto any PL team, so hardly rocket science to conclude he will do well next year...exactly the type of player PSG need

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gawa316 on June 22, 2021, 04:06:19 PM

He's been one of the most consistent midfielders in Europe over the last 4 odd years...bar maybe city he would walk onto any PL team, so hardly rocket science to conclude he will do well next year...exactly the type of player PSG need

Did he ask to leave?

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 22, 2021, 05:39:24 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on June 22, 2021, 04:06:19 PM

Did he ask to leave?

He wanted to stay, but FSG wouldn't give him the lengthy contract he was looking for due to his age.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: johnnycool on June 22, 2021, 02:55:23 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on June 22, 2021, 02:12:19 PM

Duncan probably not keen on the Scottish FA when they pushed hard for the headbutting incident that landed him a spell in Barlinnie.

No he wasn't very good for Everton and Newcastle. He scored 84 goals in 314 games. That's 1 in 4 which is dung for an out and out no 9.  He has a cult notion about him but all he was good at was getting his head on crosses and throwing elbows. That is reflective of his time at Rangers too. Huge misconception that he was actually any good

Tony Baloney

A bit of thuggery up front didn't do Cross any harm.

quit yo jibbajabba

"Header down to Baloney.........ohhhhhhhhhh what a hit son, WHAT A HITTTT"

😂😂

*buys popcorn*